What's your favourite map style?

White Out

Prince
Not specific map like perfectworld or communitas, but, what flavour of map do you like? Pangea? Islands? Continents (and if so how many)? Global? Flat? And why?

For me I like continents best, 2 of them with an ocean in the middle. So communitas does it for me nicely. Although I think perfect world would be a better script if I was able to get continents out of it. I think pangea is just too.. cluttered.

2-3 continents work best for me. Balanced for every VC (kill your neighbors!).

I like pangea and islands more but I choose random instead because it is a whole lot easier.

I find water maps to be the quickest path to victory. Obviously some civs have bonuses on these maps (Lizzy, Kamehameha, etc.) and I won't disagree that a select few are designed for single landmass/few landmasses (IMO just Shaka and Genghis, maybe Harun.) But the majority of the civs aren't weighted either way and I find they perform better on water maps (Monty, Neb, etc.)

Reasons:
1.) You're almost guaranteed to avoid a carpet of units approaching your empire before turn 75. The only one who can do it is Kamehameha and he won't.
2.) Kind of an exploit, but the AI's inability to wage naval war is easy to capitalize on.
3.) Dom victories require sniping AI capitals, which is much easier on water maps. On land, you have to bulldoze through their empire to get to the capital but on water maps you can skip right to the victory condition.
4.) For all other victories, you usually just want to be left alone, and that happens MUCH more frequently on water maps.

My LEAST favorite maps seem to be everyone else's favorite: continents. IMO, it's the worst of both worlds: land maps give you lots of trading partners and let you meet everyone quickly and establish WC upon discovering PP whereas water maps have the aforementioned benefits. On continents, however, you can't meet everyone until after astronomy, you still have the worry of early rushes, have limited trading partners, and have to bulldoze to get to capitals.

1. Continents plus
2. Fractals
3. The Earth
4. Pangea
5. Islands

Pangeas, I guess. I don't like islands map, but I enjoy both Continents and Pangeas, especially with Shuffle or Fractal.

I like pangea and islands more but I choose random instead because it is a whole lot easier.

Two things. Yes I usually play on continents as it has a nice mix of land, oceans, a small land mass or two, and you don't get to meet every civ until astronomy which does mimic how the real world worked. Pangea is a distant second choice for me. However, after a few years of mostly playing on those maps I'm ready for something different. So my question to you reddishrecue is this: When you set it to 'random' does it still describe to you the 'type' of map you are playing on? So if I save my game 200 turns into it and I like the map and I want to know what kind it is, will that info be shown somewhere? Thanks.

I enjoy them all except Islands or Archipelago. I would like them too except the AI opponents seem to have even more trouble with those formats and it inevitably becomes a rout.

Otherwise the Plus maps with the city-states just off the continent I like, although I believe I'm in a minority on that.

If I only had one map-type though it would be "Fractal." Random and re-playable.

2-3 continents work best for me. Balanced for every VC (kill your neighbors!).
If it contains multiple continents,then it would be harder to annihilate your hated civ as time goes by. In a game I had to nuke all of their cities because the naval offense didnt work so well.It might seem unhumanic but i had no other alternatives.In the beginning ,I tried to bombard them but they had already built air defense infrastructures and units,which always greatly harmed my bombers.Gradually i resorted to the nuke and its only use was to kill the enemy rather than take properous cities as part of my empire .What a waste

Just played Small Continents Plus for the first time. I loved it. Balanced, with usually 1 or 2 quite large continents and maybe 3-4 medium-small sized continents. Perfect for everyone. Warmongers get to wipe out 1 or 2 neighbors and the preponderence of water/islands boosts sea civs. a few civs get isolated, and one continent still had 5 in one. pretty good mix. Has amazing looking island chains. My only complaint was there were too many islands. Seemed like there was no open ocean anywhere. I kinda like to discover island groups not find them every-where, most of it was never settled. :(

Top Bottom