Is the game programmed to start you next to certain Civs or something?

Keep Monty busy, man. Bribe him with 5 GPT, pay him to attack someone, pay someone to attack him. Odds are you'll be the last thing on his mind then.

Well, I played a game as Spain and I wanted to explore the ocean. Polynesia appeared.

Then I played a game as Poland and I wanted to go Patronage because there were about 11 city states all around me in a ring. My neighbors were Venice and Mongols. I took the friggin Mongols apart but still its as if the game can read my mind.

Got spawned next to the Aztecs AGAIN. There's definitely something going on in the code. I don't care what anyone says.

No, there isn't anything like that going in the code. If you have civ with desert/jungle start bias you may have a bit bigger chance to start near to the other civ with the same 'climatic zone', logic. There is nothing like 'meet certain civs' in AssignStartPlots.lua.

Our human brains don't understand probability. If there are 1 000 000 players in Civilization 5 and 999 980 of them don't encounter Aztecs unusually often, they don't say anything. But those 20 people who due to Random Number Generator have met Aztecs unusally often would love to create Conspiracy Theory that there HAS to be something in code which causes such OBVIOUS anomaly.

Hell, theoretically it would be possible for you - due to particularly interesting set of random numbers - to receive Aztecs next to your starting position in your next 270 Civ5 games :p What does it mean? Nothing - statistical anomaly which happens EXTREMELY rarely but just happens.

But human mind is self - centered and is designed by evolution to seek harmony, symmetry, corelations and Greater Meaning in everything, so this is how conspiracy theories and ridiculous cults are born :p

As I said, there is nothing like that in code. By the way, what are you civs you are playing with? Naturally jungle/desert civs have bigger chance to encounter Montezuma, as his bias is jungle.

Perhaps they could make it so that you know where every Civ is at the start. That way I won't have to play 50 turns just to realize I'm next to Montezuma.

Try InGameEditor mod - enable it, wait one turn when everyone settles a city, open IGE, click 'reveal map', see what is going on on the map ;)

Happened yet again. I'm thinking of just not playing above Prince anymore. The game spawns you right next to the most aggressive civilization. This is not an opinion, it is a fact.

Every game I'm getting spawned by the warmonger Civ and I'm just tired of it. You can't keep up with the AI on military at King level. You just can't. Impossible. I can fight Alexander off for most of the game, but eventually he just gets tons of units out of nowhere and I cannot keep up with both him and Assyria sending seamlessly infinite units at me.

Alexander and Assyria, both the most aggressive Civs in the game, right next to me? Coincidence, I think not. Large map and they could get spawned anywhere. But nope, the warmongers 9/10 times are right next to me.

I'm going to do the only thing I can. If I get spawned next to Alexander, Ashurbanipal, Montezuma, Augustus Caesar, I'm just quitting next time.

Who wants to play a game where you just get constantly DoW'd? Not me.

Who wants to play a game where you just get constantly DoW'd? Not me.

Please post your save game file. I'll gladly play it for you. I will then post the screenshots after I have eliminated them to show you it can be done. :goodjob:

Please post your save game file. I'll gladly play it for you. I will then post the screenshots after I have eliminated them to show you it can be done. :goodjob:
Well please tell me how to post, because I would like to know. This happens almost every game.

Last game it was Greece.

Next game it was Arabia.

I played completely peaceful and when Arabia DoW'd I just quit because in my head it's like "Not this crap again".

I know I could probably beat Arabia, but then the whole rest of the game he'll just constantly DoW me the rest of the game. For no other reason than I built a wonder he wanted.

Nobody wants to deal with that.

Like I said, I may just play on Prince. King just seems to be all about war.

The problem is not the aggressive AI. I expect that. But the problem is, EVENTUALLY you will not be able to fight the AI off.

It's just no fun at all. Even if you initially can fight off the AI, he'll just keep DoWing over and over and over and over again. This is somewhere in the code.

Why is the warmonger ALWAYS right next to me?

Perhaps I should just keep resetting the game until I'm on an island alone. The AI is screwed.

Played another game Japan aka Warmonger is right next to me. That's three times in a row I've been started next to the warmonger. This can't be a coincidence.

Start bias can account for a lot of it too. You'll see the Aztecs a lot if you play Brazil a lot etc.

WHAT?

I am not very experienced modder but I seed deep in game code and there is NOTHING like 'civs starting next to each other' or 'particular civs are more common' or anything like that. There are only terrain bias (jungle, ocean, desert, tundra) for particular set of civs set via LUA and nothing more.

This is how pseudoscience and common beliefs are born :lol:

Pseudoscience and common beliefs are also born from poor reading comprehension. Vic didn't say anything about 'civs starting next to each other.' He said start bias will have an effect, and used the Aztecs and Brazil (both with a jungle start bias) as an example.

In your next post, you seem to agree:

No, there isn't anything like that going in the code. If you have civ with desert/jungle start bias you may have a bit bigger chance to start near to the other civ with the same 'climatic zone', logic.

As I said, there is nothing like that in code. By the way, what are you civs you are playing with? Naturally jungle/desert civs have bigger chance to encounter Montezuma, as his bias is jungle.

You play King. The solution is literally as simple as building 3 archers to kill the 3 jaguars, 2 archers and catapult he sent over to you, and then click okay when he offers you 15gpt 10 turns later. It's obvious you are a fan of complaining, but how is this even an issue?

I don't care what anyone says.

That's the problem, really.

Next game it was Arabia.

Another reason for your "problem" may be that your definition of "warmonger" may be just a little too broad. Arabia? Really?

http://civdata.com/

I just looked at the chart. Harun al-Rashid has a "war" rating of 3. Not exactly what I'd call a warmonger. He does have a wonder competitiveness of 7, so he doesn't like other civs building his wonders.

However, any AI will declare war on a civ that's weak and vulnerable enough. In this, they are doing the same thing a human would do.

Your army was weak, and so he attacked you. That is all. You were probably wonder-spamming again, as usual.

CivAddict2013 said:

Yes. Why don't you? I don't understand why you persist in playing a difficulty level that apparently causes you so much distress. Nobody's forcing you to play on King.

This is not an opinion, it is a fact.

Not really.

Pseudoscience and common beliefs are also born from poor reading comprehension. Vic didn't say anything about 'civs starting next to each other.' He said start bias will have an effect, and used the Aztecs and Brazil (both with a jungle start bias) as an example.

In your next post, you seem to agree:

You seem to have missed his point. Krajzen was replying to the OP, not to Vic. There is nothing in the code that says "start the player next to aggressive civs", or "start certain civs next to certain other civs" is what he meant.

Last game it was Greece.
Next game it was Arabia.

Arabia is not a warmonger civ. It is one of the most peaceful civs :lol: It's AI is programmed to be peaceful (personally I have been almost never ever attacked by Arabia, in fact I love this civ) - if you are invaded by Arabia that simply means you piss off everyone on map and provoke them because you have no army :p This is history - there are two nations, one of them is richer than second civ, it's unintentionally pissing 2nd civ, but it has better army, so invades because it wants to have those riches :p And 1st civ complains that it was invaded by 'barbarians' while it simply should protect itself better... And make diplomacy more carefully.

If you don't care what annoys other states on the map and are virtually unprotected, you will be attacked. This is how - generally speaking - history and this game works :p

I know I could probably beat Arabia, but then the whole rest of the game he'll just constantly DoW me the rest of the game. For no other reason than I built a wonder he wanted.

Constantly? I rarely meet truly furious AI leaders who will remain in hostile relations for the entire game, and usually THEY are warmongers (or our political interests are really, REALLY different).
By the way, many emotional players on CivFanatics tell about them 'being annoyed by losing wonder by 1 turn' or something similar and, guess what, invading surprised AI :p

Many people on CFC complain on AI being not enough aggressive/too much passive, it is so visible problem that I have just released little mod to actually make AI MORE expansive and militaristic :p

It's just no fun at all. Even if you initially can fight off the AI, he'll just keep DoWing over and over and over and over again. This is somewhere in the code.
Played another game Japan aka Warmonger is right next to me. That's three times in a row I've been started next to the warmonger. This can't be a coincidence.

Obviously it can, as there is no code in lua which places warmongers next to players, and 99% of people don't have this problem. Even if you met warmongers 10 times in a row, it would still be coincidence - probability is fascinating :p
Oh, and as people said, Arabia is not a warmonger.

Happened yet again. I'm thinking of just not playing above Prince anymore. The game spawns you right next to the most aggressive civilization. This is not an opinion, it is a fact.

So now explain why I have never observed anything like that. According to your logic, 'The game never spawns you right next to the most aggressive civilization - this is not an opinion, it is a fact.' So we have two opposite facts, fascinating :p

Every game I'm getting spawned by the warmonger Civ and I'm just tired of it. You can't keep up with the AI on military at King level. You just can't. Impossible. I can fight Alexander off for most of the game, but eventually he just gets tons of units out of nowhere and I cannot keep up with both him and Assyria sending seamlessly infinite units at me.

It seems that you have simply little problems with difficulty level ;)

Well please tell me how to post, because I would like to know. This happens almost every game.

Last game it was Greece.

Next game it was Arabia.

I played completely peaceful and when Arabia DoW'd I just quit because in my head it's like "Not this crap again".

The problem is not the aggressive AI. I expect that. But the problem is, EVENTUALLY you will not be able to fight the AI off.

Why is the warmonger ALWAYS right next to me?

Perhaps I should just keep resetting the game until I'm on an island alone. The AI is screwed.

I am probably jumping in way too late for this, but by the sounds of it you just want to build a civilization without any chance of a war. I wouldn't classify any of the ones you mentioned as warmongers, and you are probably doing things to provoke them without understanding the mechanics of the game.

While I really don't like the diplomacy or the logic in the game, I have come to realise after reading these forums for some time, you have to see all civs as competitors and that they will attack you if it benefits them. We as players might not understand the logic behind it, but they do it anyway.

Maybe you are better off playing a game like settlers or simcity? I have been doing the same as I have been finding the game to be more playing mechanical structures than any kind of fun and it seems this is because of this forum to be honest and they changes we/them force on Firaxis.

IMO there is no bias. You just remember those occurrences more. I've had all sorts of combinations in my games, and the current one rather sticks out in the opposite direction to "civilizations are present who are liable to mess with your CV most", playing as the Celts on a huge map with no other religion-focused civs in the game.

Arabia Dow'd ? It think I had more DoW from Gandhi than Arabia.

Want peace ? Build enough units to be at least 5th in army in demographics. On prince, it's 4 archers, 2 scouts, and start warrior to be 1st until T120/150. Later, you just need to upgrade them when you reach a further tech.

Also, build a caravan and send it to your neighbor. If you pick Oligarchy, AI can't take one of your city. Or, you need to listen some advice to improve your gameplay.

Oh cool, another CivAddict2013 whine thread with no basis in reality.

Moderator Action: Please don't troll other posters. Constructive comments, please.

Top Bottom