promotion question

Is there any way to get more choices in picking promotions? I keep hearing about range promotions. I had crossbows with at least six promotions. +15 smooth terrain, +15 rough terrain, 2 protections frombombardment, but nothing for range. I wanted to get that for when they were moved to Ggs. Or is range not a promotion until you get to GG?

For range you need the following prereqs:
-Accuracy III
-Barrage III
-Targeting II
-Bombardment II

I had a very similar question, and found the same answer that vivalamexico gave.

To get range, you need to keep your promotions focused on offense, not defense.
All 3 rough terrain bonuses, and all 3 smooth terrain bonuses.

It is *real* tempting in the heat of battle to choose Cover (to help them survive) or the instant heal (same). Those are useful, but they don't help get you to increased range.

Some folks here have talked about a gambit where you declare war on a nearby city-state with flat terrain. Bring in 2 or 3 archers (or comp bows), and station them 3 hexes from the CS.
  1. Move archer 1 forward one hex, and fire
  2. take the hit, move back, and heal
  3. Move archer 2 forward one hex (the same firing position), and fire
  4. take the hit, move back, and heal
  5. repeat as necessary to build up experience

I haven't tried this myself. Usually, I'm trying to get cozy with the CS so I don't declare war. Or more often, the terrain isn't conducive to "doing the dance" Going to try it in the next game, though.

More promotions appear after the initial 3 smooth/rough terran bonuses. Promotions like range, cover and logistics start to appear.

Got ya - gotta pillage some more I guess.

You don't get xp when pillaging IIRC, only heal on some improvments, and of course gold.
At least it's like that since quite some patches ago.

I had a very similar question, and found the same answer that vivalamexico gave.

To get range, you need to keep your promotions focused on offense, not defense.
All 3 rough terrain bonuses, and all 3 smooth terrain bonuses.

It is *real* tempting in the heat of battle to choose Cover (to help them survive) or the instant heal (same). Those are useful, but they don't help get you to increased range.

Some folks here have talked about a gambit where you declare war on a nearby city-state with flat terrain. Bring in 2 or 3 archers (or comp bows), and station them 3 hexes from the CS.
  1. Move archer 1 forward one hex, and fire
  2. take the hit, move back, and heal
  3. Move archer 2 forward one hex (the same firing position), and fire
  4. take the hit, move back, and heal
  5. repeat as necessary to build up experience

This works with frigates too. Pick a nearby CS, or a nearby weak AI, then power up your frigates. They're super powerful with Logistics, and super duper powerdul as upgraded battleships with Logistics.

This works with frigates too. Pick a nearby CS, or a nearby weak AI, then power up your frigates. They're super powerful with Logistics, and super duper powerdul as upgraded battleships with Logistics.

It's even possible to start early with galleass. Once they have range promotions, they cannot be hit by cities.

Top Bottom