First Impressions

I'll buy this expansion ... put it in storage. From what I can tell from the brief introduction of the expansion, Civ V is well on the way to becoming a better Civ IV BTS. Good luck.

Andulias, just a long dreaded fear. I've been playing PC games (mostly strategy) since the late 1980s and have watched PC-centric games become a niche market. Hybrid products sell 90% consoles/10% PCs, despite the PC's superior user interface, CPU processing and graphics capabilities. Yes, you're right, one can always point to Civilization as a great example of a successful PC-centric product line but there aren't many titles left that can say that. What happens 3-4 years from now when 90+% of all computing (according to Gartner) will be done on mobile devices, tablets and consoles? The PC could become truly archaic.
Do not worry yourself too much about it, some games just remain better to play on a PC: they've been saying for years that gaming on a computer will die out, but it is still around. The movement to consoles is easy to explain: a console is far more user-friendly to play a game on (no troubles of the computer annoying you)and it works better against copying and illegal downloading. Sitting on a couch with a couple of buddies playing a game also works better, though it seems that the majority of the people playing on a console these days is doing that online.
But despite all of that, computer gaming will exist. Mainly for strategy games, because using a mouse just works better than a joystick :p

Speaking as person in my mid-Sixties, I feel that anyone who pines for the Good Old Days wasn't really paying attention back then.
A very good quote:p though not always right: I remember I got my first cell phone when I was 14 (a second-hand Nokia 3500, with Snake!). Nowadays, I see kids barely 8 years old walking around with the latest Iphone of Blackberry. Kids playing with € 400,- toys, that just can't go right in the future.

Sorry for going offtopic; keep the stories coming!

I've kept the difficulty the same from Vanilla (Emperor), and I've been forced to retire 4 games in a row now. I am yet to achieve a victory. :(

The AI keeps rocking me with the upgraded combat system.

Really enjoying it - I am playing on Prince, Standard, Large Islands with the Ottomans. I love their UA now - I feel like I'm playing Svensgaard. :-D

The AI seems much more reasonable now, and I love how much they pop up now to warn you of intrigues, to apologize for spying or to spit in your face.

In my current game, I'm part of the democratic bloc (Korea, Japan, Sweden and me) - the four leading civs, all freedom, all good friends for 300+ years. The others hate us, and every 20 years or so our coalition simultaneously declares war on one of them. Good times! I rule the seas with my battleships and destroyers, but probably won't win - Korea is teching like crazy.

Religion is really nice, and I do like espionage - Coups are a PITA, but hey - City States are supposed to be a potential casus belli, so I enjoy it.

Contrary to others, I have tons of gold, but struggle somewhat with happiness.

That's all I can think of right now. :)

I'm enjoying myself hugely. I'm best buddies with Atilla (playing as Germany). Have PoF, Defensive Pact, he's sharing my religion (Christianity), trade back and forth and we're doubling up on the Ottomans. I just hit the Ren. era which means the beginning of the spy era :D

I just saw a Hunnic Battering Ram so that was pretty sweet. Took a turkish city as Atilla raided another. Having a couple of slight economic/happiness issues but overall it's a great expansion and I'm on edge a little bit about being so close to the Huns as they're the world superpower and I'm #2 right behind them. I'm just waiting for the betrayal but right now we're as close as brothers.

Those turned out to be an unpleasant surprise. I didn't have a lot of trouble fending off the eventual Hunnic attack, but they did get a ram up to my newly-founded city of Chichen Itza. No problem - it was damaged by that point and the only other thing they had left was a nearly-dead horse archer. I hadn't bargained on a single hit from a ram halving my city's hitpoints. I'd thought I'd then damaged it enough that it wasn't a threat - but of course that was the moment it got a heal promotion. Two hits from one essentially unsupported battering ram cost me a pop 2 city (which was pretty much instantly razed due to the Hun UA). It cost Attila his entire army just getting to Chichen Itza, and it wasn't a major city, but it was remarkably annoying even if the Huns couldn't be considered a serious threat - it also cost me several melee units.

First game as the Celts. They feel seriously over powered.

I have more cities than I've ever had as early as this. I have no happiness issues, and have consistently had over 10 extra happiness. I am making between 50-100 gold a turn. Tech lead. Main religion of my area.

Happiness issues simply don't seem to happen in G&K - you can readily found two new cities on Emperor before you even need to improve a resource, and I've been happily giving ivory to all my friends without taking a happiness hit.

So either I got extravagantly lucky, or the Celts are very powerful.

Faith is very powerful (especially if you have Holy Warriors, as I do), which is obviously going to give the Celts an advantage. But then most of the new civs seem to be at the upper end of the power scale that I can see. The Huns burn out quickly and the Swedes seem uninspiring (improved GP generation is good, but really - 90 influence with a CS from sacrificing a GP? How many GPs are you going to want to sacrifice?)

Austria scares me.

Civs are designed for players, not AIs, and any civ with a gold-based UA is going to be exploitable by the AI given its financial advantages. Granted, "buy a developed city" simply looks overpowered on paper, and I originally expected the Austrian UA to only give temporary control over the CS, but it may be more balanced in a player's hands as gold is harder to come by than it used to be.

Alright. I've been having a blast with this. I've had the opportunity to play as The Huns, The Maya, Sweden, The Celts and Ethiopia. Sometimes being unemployed is a blessing :p. I'll throw my hat in with those that feel religion is fair, fun and balanced, and I'm fond of the improved Diplomatic AI too. It's easier, imo, to play the civs off of one another to leave you alone.

Some AI weirdness under the spoiler.
Spoiler :

Sejong, what are you doing with a city there? That is dumb.

See that Egyptian Great Prophet up there? Yeah. Note the turn up there, then look at this.

He just wandered back and forth in my territory, never doing a thing. I finally lost track of him here.

So there might still be a bit of AI oddness going on that may or may not be ironed out.

Heh, good to see Sejong still building pointless snow cities just as he did in vanilla. At least there's some Whales there; often he builds cities just because MY NAME IS SEJONG EATER OF LAND I MUST BUILD EVERYWHERE!!!

With the Great Prophet, I wonder if he was using it to scout? Seems a bit dumb, but by that stage in the game you'd think there was little use left for GPs.

From what I can tell from the brief introduction of the expansion, Civ V is well on the way to becoming a better Civ IV BTS. Good luck.

having devoured these threads i'm excited about my imminent delivery of G&K, but i reckon civV needs prob 1 more XP to acheive the heights of BtS (which was the 2nd XP as well)

loads more can be added to civV including Trade, Health, UB's or UF's for all civs, civil war/revolutions, more civs, 2nd leaders for civs (with alterantive uniques?)....

can't wait :)

Am I wrong in thinking that rivers are wider now? In Vanilla I sometimes had to hover my mouse over a tile to see if it was beside a river - the river was so thin it could disappear especially if a border was on that edge of the tile. Now the rivers are easy to see even at the maximum zoom out, you can easily see the water flowing animation now too where before the river just seemed to shimmer.

Alright. I've been having a blast with this. I've had the opportunity to play as The Huns, The Maya, Sweden, The Celts and Ethiopia. Sometimes being unemployed is a blessing :p. I'll throw my hat in with those that feel religion is fair, fun and balanced, and I'm fond of the improved Diplomatic AI too. It's easier, imo, to play the civs off of one another to leave you alone.

Some AI weirdness under the spoiler.
Spoiler :

Sejong, what are you doing with a city there? That is dumb.

See that Egyptian Great Prophet up there? Yeah. Note the turn up there, then look at this.

He just wandered back and forth in my territory, never doing a thing. I finally lost track of him here.

So there might still be a bit of AI oddness going on that may or may not be ironed out.

I had one case of weirdness in the selection of AI diplo messages - Attila, who's coveted my lands since the start, hated me since I denounced him, and is permanently set to Hostile towards me, selected the "feigning friendship with you wasn't very polite" war dec text...

Most of my American friends say that the Ottomans are incredibly overpowered now with three times the navy and getting those ships for free.
Anyone tried them that can confirm?

Seriously, you should check out SimCity 4 (with SimCity 5 coming next February). There you can build as huge of a metropolis as you desire without any mean bad guys attacking you. I've seen some very impressive cities built in SimCity.

Seriously, How about I play whatever game I like? I own all the Sim city games, they are nothing like Civ games. I play civ games my way, not your way!! Not sure why people seem to think Civ games are war games, let me prove you wrong, so you can stop with your go to another game crap.

Now I have played every Civ game, they all have one quote in common. *Stand the test of time* Do you understand that very simple quote? Civ games have always been about building period, and you can dispute that all you want, you will still be wrong. I just shake my head that you think you have some right to tell me how I can enjoy a game I paid for. You seem to do that quite often, you are now being ignored.

So let me play my way, you play your way, that way we both smile.

Most of my American friends say that the Ottomans are incredibly overpowered now with three times the navy and getting those ships for free.
Anyone tried them that can confirm?

Yesssss! Like I said before, I feel like Svensgaard in Alien Crossfire - everytime I go to war, my navy doubles in size. And it's so cheap, and I can take cities with Privateers/Ironclads/Destroyers - it's beautiful. *sniff* Though a good, fortified city with a ranged unit and a ranged ship will cost you... but hey, just take their ships after you've taken their city.

Happiness issues simply don't seem to happen in G&K - you can readily found two new cities on Emperor before you even need to improve a resource, and I've been happily giving ivory to all my friends without taking a happiness hit.

That's a big shame, it would be better if the AI got less happiness bonuses, instead of the player having more opportunity for their own happiness. the limitations caused by unhappiness is supposed to be the whole point against REXing.

I’m still rocking on my second game, (first one was a failure). I conquered Ethiopia, had just finished conquering the Mayans, and am currently on the defensive with Carthage. Dido had sent an army of units to attack my north western borders, forest elephants and all. She couldn’t have picked a better time to strike as well, currently I’m at 11 unhappiness due to occupation of the Mayan and Ethiopian capitals. Luckily, I had seen them mobilizing and had just enough time to relocate my units to defend their nation thanks to an early investment in road construction. Moreover, since the geography of my empire is very rough, the enemy had been bogged down by the hills and jungles. I adopted the sacred path for my pantheon and had focused on settling around the massive jungle area. With care in choosing where to position my units, I had defeated the enemy, while only losing two units of my own. After I heal, and replace the two lost units, and fix the unhappiness problem, I will take the fight to Carthage, and crush them for their audacious campaign against me. However, the Celts to the north are guarded by me, and could pose a significant threat as well. Knowing that I have defeated Carthage’s army, it would take them time to become dangerous again. Perhaps I should seek peace with them, and take out the Celts before I focus on Carthage…

Andulias, just a long dreaded fear. I've been playing PC games (mostly strategy) since the late 1980s and have watched PC-centric games become a niche market. Hybrid products sell 90% consoles/10% PCs, despite the PC's superior user interface, CPU processing and graphics capabilities. Yes, you're right, one can always point to Civilization as a great example of a successful PC-centric product line but there aren't many titles left that can say that. What happens 3-4 years from now when 90+% of all computing (according to Gartner) will be done on mobile devices, tablets and consoles? The PC could become truly archaic.
No offense mate, but I've been hearing about this for more than a decade. Consoles, handhelds, mobile phones, they were all supposed to have already replaced PCs, yet here I am, sitting on a PC.

Multiplatform games sell a lot better on PC than you think. Of course this is partially because we are at the end of a console life cycle, but PC games are on the rise. Series that not so long ago would never grace the good old computers with their presence now are slated for PC by default (Devil May Cry, Resident Evil), others get ports they were never supposed to receive (Dark Souls), and some actually sell better on PC than consoles. A very good example would be E3, the expo that shows where gaming will be headed for the next 12 months. RPS, the avid PC gamers that they are, were going around asking every demoer on what platform they were running their games. Star Wars 1313? PC. Watch Dogs? PC. Crysis 3? PC. Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Borderlands 2, Dishonored, Battlefield 3 DLCs? All PC. All of them.

Are PCs going niche? Yep. Are they getting replaced by mobile phones and tablets? Not quite. Tablets are a great gimmick, but there is one tiny problem - if you want to do something more than browse the internet and some casual gaming, they are useless., which is why a lot of people I know sold their tablets and bought laptops. Any kind of office work needs a keyboard and a mouse. Does gaming exist on laptops? Well, I kind of lied when I said I am sitting in front of a PC. On fact I am sitting in front of this. It runs Civ V beautifully.

And even if PCs get overthrown by tablets, would that mean everyone will abandon more complex games? With Baldur's Gate getting ported to iOS devices and tons of old-school adventure games like Beneath a Steel Sky and Myst already in the AppStore and selling well, I beg to differ. Can a Civ game be played entirely by touch? Sure.

So honestly, I don't see why you are so worried. If the execs at 2K aren't stupid, and I have little reason to believe they are, they will look at the solid sales of Civ V and greenlight a sequel. I am more worried about what Firaxis would do with a sequel and where the new Reynold or Johnson would come from, whether Ed Beach is up to the task. But CIVI for PC there will be.

Man, Golden Ages are *SO* good now. The Culture Boost is a phenom for large empires. I thrashed right through policy trees on my Golden Ages. I will happily pop a Great Artist for a Golden Age from now on.

Next, I don't like how you are unable to burn great ppl for golden ages (except 4 GA). By the end of the game I had so many unused admirals and generals that my workers had trouble improving my land. Also, if they nerfed the GS, they should have nerfed the GE.

See above. Since Golden Ages have gotten better (and it fairly easy to get one via happiness...I only ever struggled with happiness when I accidentially annexed a city instead of puppetting it), I think it's appropriate GAs are the only ones who can creat Golden Ages. As for your spare Great Generals: Citidel to expand your territory. If you seriously don't have any territory to expand into, gift the Great Generals and Admirals to City States for influence.

I found the AI to be MUCH more aggressive.

I've found this to be untrue. I had Germany DOW me while "friendly," but you should expect that from Germany. Other than that, I had friendly relationships with almost everyone until I made them unfriendly.

Seriously, you can't - and shouldn't be able to - play this game without having some sort of defensive military. Civilizations that couldn't defend themselves in world history didn't last.

I started dinking around with the scenarios and have found that they're all pretty fun. Those who usually don't play scenarios will really be missing out on some fun playing them at least once. Into The Renaissance is MASSIVE, and having 200 turns to play it with so many different flavors of civs makes it a very good addition to the game.

I like Fall of Rome as well. The social policies and the civ UA and UUs are all pretty interesting. I played about 20 turns of Boudicca and what I like most about that one is that Picts are actually pretty weak UUs compared to other units, but all units gets a 20% foreign lands bonus and Picts and a 50% bonus when adjacent to each other which helps give the civ that fearsome barbarian feel. The civs all have unique flavors here. I like it much more than the 1066 scenario.

Smoky Skies is.. well, it's odd. The way it works reminds me of the Ancient Wonders scenario by having to win through being the best at different types of gameplay. There's a lot to learn to play this scenario (all of the SPs and techs and unique buildings are completely new). You start out with 3 spies which is good for rigging CS elections from the get go. Frankly though I think I prefer Ancient Wonders over this scenario, but maybe as I learn the scenario more I'll enjoy it more.

Smoky Skies is.. well, it's odd. The way it works reminds me of the Ancient Wonders scenario by having to win through being the best at different types of gameplay. There's a lot to learn to play this scenario (all of the SPs and techs and unique buildings are completely new). You start out with 3 spies which is good for rigging CS elections from the get go. Frankly though I think I prefer Ancient Wonders over this scenario, but maybe as I learn the scenario more I'll enjoy it more.

How long is Smoky Skies? How big is the map?

They go back to Friendly without offering you a DoF?

That's bad news, prepare for sneak DOW.

Should have clarified, they actually did both come around with DoF again. Hit industrial last night and no one has declared war on me for the whole game. However I have been very well behaved, only border one civ, and am not in the score lead.

Now all my negative modifiers with Iroquois are gone. Poly has since dropped back to neutral though. They are the only civ ahead of me in score since they have built an astounding 14 wonders. War will come with them sooner or later.

Perhaps I should seek peace with them, and take out the Celts before I focus on Carthage…

Wipe them out. All of them.

Top Bottom