Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Thanks. Must be a mistake in the manual.

I guess that means that all special resources need roads so they can be traded; otherwise only the city gets the benefit if someone/population is assigned (white circle).

Another nitpicky question. I build a city on a plains/hills square with no other special resources. The plains give 1/1/0 and the hills give -1/1/0. Yet this square shows a total of 2-2-1. Is this another mistake in the manual. Do hills really give -1 food? Where does the 1 commerce come from? the road that a city automatically builds? Is the Palace giving the extra food and commerce?

Sort of the same question. Desert/hills square shows 0/1/0 as a total. This means that it is not counting the hill as a negative 1 food, right?

ha well I guess I should hit "Enter" now!!! Still 4000BC!

The city centre has always 2 :food: 1 :hammers: and 1 :commerce: except if the base-yield of the settled tile is higher. If you settle on a 3 :food: tile, the city-centre keeps those, and if you settle on a Plains-Hill, the city-centre will still give 2 :hammers: . There's again an exception which are Floodplains, those give 3 :food: but are tranformed into deserts wen settling on them, so those don't give 3 :food: anymore.

Green hills have 1 :food: and 1 :hammers: unimproved, plains-hills have 2 :hammers: and desert-hills are the worst, they only give 1 :hammers: . As every point of population consumes 2 :food: , you basically should only work green tiles for until you have Windmills, Biology-Farms and State-Property Workshops.

The Palace gives extra :commerce: , that is shown in the middle-left of the city-screen, where all buildings are listed.

Hi guys first post. Found I cannot open CIV 4 since update to Windows 10. This version of the game had this Gamespy thing with it that seems to have messed things up. Has anyone else had this problem?

Take a look in the "CIV - Technical Support" forum. There are a couple of Windows 10 threads there. Although I have not looked at Windows 10, I have been reading those threads. The bottom line (at least as far as I can tell from the readings) is that CIV works but the copy protection used on the CIV discs cannot be dealt with by Windows 10. So, BTS 3.19 works, since the copy protection is removed, and the online purchase versions, such as Steam, work because they don't use discs. If you are using one of the versions that should work, according to the above, several of the threads contain info about how people have gotten CIV to work on Windows 10.

Since installing the bat/bug mod a few months ago I have noticed new dialog from Ai leaders. In addition I've noticed new modifiers in diplo with the Ai. What determines the +-" a first impression is a lasting one" with the Ai on first contact. Is it random, or are Ai leaders predisposed towards the human player by what leader/civ they are playing as?

... What determines the +-" a first impression is a lasting one" with the Ai on first contact. Is it random, or are Ai leaders predisposed towards the human player by what leader/civ they are playing as?
Yes, the AI leaders' attitudes toward human player are predisposed (Zara is +2 for example). I'm not entirely sure but I think these initial attitudes for a particular AI are the same towards the other AIs in game as they are towards the human player. Here are some links you may find helpful, civfanchambers.

1) Know Your Enemy: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=478563
The second post in the above guide explains how to use it and also provides a lot of useful links for more detailed info. Such as the following two links--

2) This spreadsheet: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9030955&postcount=11

3) And this wiki explaining how to interpret LeaderHead values: http://modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Civ4LeaderHeadInfos

I finally found a detailed explanation of the Terrain Yields which is so what I needed!! I have a question reading the Ways to Happiness Guide.

Can I build 7 Temples in the same city?

Last night I was dreaming of founding an empire based on religion. LOL!! I only bought this game on Sunday.

Do I get extra Happiness from 'founding' a religion? Is founding a religion of any benefit?

Can I send a Missionary to another civilization's city? How do I spread my civilization's religion?

When I see a screenshot on CivFanatics, it has a lot more information in the interface than when I'm playing. Why is that?

Probably, it's because the game was being played with the BUG (Beyond the Sword Unaltered Gameplay) mod. As the name suggests, this mod doesn't change the game mechanics, but it shows the player all the information that is possible to find but well hidden in the standard interface; for example, it gives a warning the turn before a city will become unhappy or unhealthy.

It is in two parts: BUG proper and BULL. BULL provides some additional information, but isn't usable on Macs; on the PC, you will want both BUG and BULL. Here is a link to the FAQ, with download links and installation instructions.

One more question... Could you post a link for the BUG and BULL mods.

Thanks again.

I finally found a detailed explanation of the Terrain Yields which is so what I needed!! I have a question reading the Ways to Happiness Guide.

Can I build 7 Temples in the same city?
Yes, if you have 7 religions in that city.
Last night I was dreaming of founding an empire based on religion. LOL!! I only bought this game on Sunday.

Do I get extra Happiness from 'founding' a religion? Is founding a religion of any benefit?
You do not get extra happiness from founding a religion, compared to it spreading from another civ. You do get the holy city, which gives 1 gold per city with that religion if you use a great prophet. You also are sure to get access to that religion rather than hoping it spreads to you.
Can I send a Missionary to another civilization's city? How do I spread my civilization's religion?
Yes, and like that. You need open borders, and that civ to NOT be in theocracy.
One more question... Could you post a link for the BUG and BULL mods.

Thanks again.
Civ4 - BTS Unaltered Gameplay (BUG, BAT and BULL)

While you can't spread a religion to a foreign civ in theocracy, you can gift that civ a missionary, and it will spread it for you.

Just as I asked in the Civ3 subforum - Is it viable to build far-flung cities to act as 'resource colonies' in this game?

I mean, suppose you have already built a decent and working empire. Exploring in the wilderness in a very far away place, suppose you find an area with a lot of resources, like iron or oil etc. They have to be worked by a city to be of any use.

But when you build a city that far away from your empire, cost for maintaining it will be HUGE. And it could be easily invaded by someone, or the trade route could be broken. And it could compromise with cultural victory if you have a small, consolidated empire yet still want those resources.

Besides, that city will not earn any money, just add resources to the empire. Very unprofitable but you get the resources.

So, is it a viable strategy to build these 'colonies' far from your empire just to ship back resources?

Just as I asked in the Civ3 subforum - Is it viable to build far-flung cities to act as 'resource colonies' in this game?

I mean, suppose you have already built a decent and working empire. Exploring in the wilderness in a very far away place, suppose you find an area with a lot of resources, like iron or oil etc. They have to be worked by a city to be of any use.

But when you build a city that far away from your empire, cost for maintaining it will be HUGE. And it could be easily invaded by someone, or the trade route could be broken. And it could compromise with cultural victory if you have a small, consolidated empire yet still want those resources.

Besides, that city will not earn any money, just add resources to the empire. Very unprofitable but you get the resources.

So, is it a viable strategy to build these 'colonies' far from your empire just to ship back resources?

It certainly can be. The AI is rubbish at war, so it should be possible to defend it suitably. It may cost quite a bit in maintenance, but you can build the forbidden palace there to help. If you get strategic reasorces it may well help your war effectiveness, even taking into account the weakness caused by the outlying cities. If you get happiness reasorces that may make more of an economic difference than the maintenance cost.

It certainly can be. The AI is rubbish at war, so it should be possible to defend it suitably. It may cost quite a bit in maintenance, but you can build the forbidden palace there to help. If you get strategic reasorces it may well help your war effectiveness, even taking into account the weakness caused by the outlying cities. If you get happiness reasorces that may make more of an economic difference than the maintenance cost.

Thanks. I guess it is worth building the colony city as long as it offsets the penalties by adding enough resources, and if treasury is already large enough.

I was playing on a huge Pangaea and found a site full of gems, oil and iron on the other side of the map. The location is wonderful except that it is too far and has few food tiles.

Is it possible to transport food from one city to another, so it can be supported even if it is unable to feed by itself the large number of citizens required to work there?

That feature was in II but not in IV

Thanks. I guess it is worth building the colony city as long as it offsets the penalties by adding enough resources, and if treasury is already large enough.

I was playing on a huge Pangaea and found a site full of gems, oil and iron on the other side of the map. The location is wonderful except that it is too far and has few food tiles.

Is it possible to transport food from one city to another, so it can be supported even if it is unable to feed by itself the large number of citizens required to work there?

This is essentially what happens on "Terra" maps. Everybody start out on one continent, and then there is another one that is free to settle later, when you get Astronomy and can shuttle settlers across in Galleons. Usually this other continent will have several resources that cannot be found on the starting one. Useful to 'save' the Forbidden Palace and build it in the new world to save on maintenance costs.

Lack of food is a big issue, definitely. It can be countered, but only with a corporation such as Sid's Sushi. Then every city which has the corporation also gets a boost of x amount of :food:. The amount is based on how many resources you have of the kind the corporation needs. In the case of Sid's Sushi that is rice, fish, clam and crab. In very long game (typically space), corporations can be ridiculously strong. They cost a lot of maintenance too, however, so is no freebie ;)

1. I am following along with TheCox plays Gandhi. How do I open the attached saved games to look at?

2. What tiles are best to improve with Cottages?

1. You'll need the Beyond the Sword expansion. Download the file (I suggest the single-player saves folder) and then either double-click on it or start BtS and click "single player" then "load game" and navigate to where you saved the file (navigation starts in save folder).

2. Floodplain tiles, then riverside flat grassland tiles, then non-riverside flat grassland tiles.

Is there anyway of getting one mod to always run, even when playing other mods? I tried to use mod folders (making a folder titled "@whatever_mod" in the games folder and adjusting the desktop shortcuts target) but the this method was blocked. Is there another way?

I've had bat/bug installed for a few months now. Today I was looking over the mod sevopedia and noticed strategy guides. From those of you experienced in bat/bug, are the strategy guides up to date and useful, or not worth placing importance on. Alot of guides are available, but not sure if the info in them is valuable.

If you've been trading a resource with an AI from the beginning of the game, does cancelling the deal and negotiating a new one reset the timer for the "We appreciate the years you have been supplied us with resources" bonus?

Top Bottom