Randomness of Civ

Hi Guys

I will only be able to pick up my turn in the New Year. If y'all are happy to wait, then it's great. Otherwise, it's cool too if you wanna skip me.

Not too sure on the Copper dot, it's got a lot of production but food is a bit scarce and I'd rather not take the clams away from the Cap (at least not permanently). The Corn+Deer dot would work better 1SW, as it grabs the fish as well that way. Iron/Crabs is good.

Don't have a lot of spare time this week either, but I might post a plan anyway.

I might be able to squeeze out some turns soon. I'd be inclined to only settle offshore if it's really worth it, so at least 3 resources or some valuable strategic asset or resource we otherwise wouldn't have. So maybe yes to fish/corn/deer, but I'm not hot on iron/crab. Then I'd rather settle the pigs. I would check the fog due east of the capital to check out if there's something nice to settle. Looks like a good staging area on that island.
Preparing for a sneak attack on Lisbon might not be bad either. :mischief:

And HE in Mound, shouldn't forget about that. ;)

we have caravel so you should hunt for circumnavigation...just in case.

other then that good luck ;-). i didn't want to squeeze in since i don't like to play 2 turnsets consecutive.

Played a thrilling set, jam-packed with exactly one exciting moment, which was when on the ultimate turn a barbarian worker decided to be easy prey.

We settled 3 cities with the settlers that vranasm left in the queue. All visible in this shot of the southern half of the empire, fish/corn/deer off shore, silver/fish on the southern tip of our continent and the western pig filler.

For completeness sake and for the benefit of our army of lurkers a picture of the northern half of the empire, where nothing much changed apart from the odd border pop, tile improvements and the construction of the Heroic Epic in Mound City.

Finally, we have nearly found a way around the globe. Not sure if it'll still net us circumnavigation, but should try of course. When I hit Indian Rome quickly ordered a new caravel in case the first one got stuck finding a passage. It did not in the end, but that's why we now have 2 caravels.

Stopped the set when we popped a great person. It's yet another GE no less. vranasm may decide what to with him this time. ;) Oxford is a possibility, but then we first have to whip many universities as we only have 1 currently.

And I started pumping some knights/stables/raxes again. We seem to want to go aggressive so I guess that can't really hurt.

Attachments

• Randomness AD-1748.CivBeyondSwordSave
    240.7 KB · Views: 43
Am I up? Or is Woopdeedoo? Anyway, I'll comment tomorrow when I (a bit more) sober.

Happy new year everybody :newyear:

As far as I can tell, the big question at this point, is whether we want to get Uni's and OU up, or just get out a bunch of units the get rid of an AI (eg Russia). In the last case we're probably better of with settling the GE to get more production. I'd say keep spamming units, as those units will probably get us enough cash to get some teching done. The moment we can run 100% science long enough to finish Nationalism, we can research it and try to trade it for GP.

Tech: Nat > MilTrad, trade for GP, or extort it.

really not sure with all those war plans going on here... we don't have clear tech advantage and will run into WE's in the case Russia.
Other thing being Russia is "big" in a sense with 8 cities

didn't check the save for long time, but I guess everyone should have muskets, maces etc etc.

Our best shot probably is to concentrate on getting some advantage...being it cannons or cavalry. Maybe a little bit preferring the former one.

As for the GE... dunno could be anything. Settling will have long payback though. Maybe check bulbs... If he can partly bulb Chemistry it's on way towards cannons.

On one of SS's I saw some good barb city, maybe snagging it before Portuguese is good plan.

He bulbs GP IIRC, which is a tech nearly everyone has :(

Any more input? Normally I'd whip lib's/uni's at this point, but given that the team seems to want to go to war asap, I'd like some more input on how to proceed.

Maybe getting the unis out won't be a bad idea. Likely the game will take long enough anyway, so then it's better to have some research power in place. Maybe you can use the knights to capture that barb city on the eastern continent, or raze and resettle it 2N1E.

Maybe getting the unis out won't be a bad idea. Likely the game will take long enough anyway, so then it's better to have some research power in place. Maybe you can use the knights to capture that barb city on the eastern continent, or raze and resettle it 2N1E.

I agree with nocho on the uni's. Not sure about razing the barb city though (Thracian?). Will need to have another look at the save to comment on that...

I think with whipping knights/Rax/stables into Unis and use one of the engineers to rush OU. I would have to look at the barb city also. But definitely cavalry and trebs/cannons to finish out our continent.

So the overall game plan, we need to decide on a VC. Either domination/conquest or space. I'm thinking taking out our continent, we can turtle up and go for space

Played a short set (9t I believe)
- Started the game of with some heavy whipping.
- I proved that the world was round, only to find out that Frederick has done the same by 1475AD :(
- Captured Thracian
- Whipped even more near the end of the set.
- Got OU up.

I've configured our cities for commerce/growth as I feel that's what we need until we get better units, I'm producing a bunch of units still though, we might want to set our cities to wealth instead until we've got either cannons or cuirs/cavs. I think it's best to store up production in the form of human bodies at this point, and whip them into useful units later, rather then build and pay upkeep now, and have to pay for upgrades as well.

Anyway, at this configuration we can get Nationalism in 11t at break-even (-1gpt) or 5t at -144gpt (we've got 1171g stored up right now). Unfortunately everybody has Nat already, we've only got Edu on Gilgamesh, but he's unwilling to trade. GP is known to everybody but Gilg and us.

For cannons we need:
GP > Chem > Steel

For Cuirs we need:
GP > Nat > MilTrad

For Cavs we need:
GP > Nat > MilTrad > PP > RP > Rifling

Of these, only PP, RP, Rifling, MilTrad and Steel will do anything for us in trade, with PP being to only first line tech (but only one taker: Boudica). Chemistry is known to most, RP is known to everyone willing to trade but Boudica.

So, what unit do we want to attack with?

Attachments

• Randomness AD-1768.CivBeyondSwordSave
    255.8 KB · Views: 46
Top Bottom