Dune Wars: Revival

[modmod] DuneWars Revival 1.10 (Windows Installer)

i really want to start a game in this new revival,

but, ill tell you a secret,
im having a little hobby of mine - im developing a board game based on dune theres acctually one in existnace, but mine will be a bit different.
im calling it dune wars the board game,
maybe when ill finish , i could get you guys a print and play copy :)

im following this thread, so keep up the good superb rich great work :)

Its been a while so maybe I'm a little rusty, but I just got seriously obliterated. I did reduce the difficulty level for my first game, but it would appear I'll have to reduce it even more. Did the AI get pimped in this mod, or am I just too adjusted to Civ5 AI?

I do appreciate the new stuff I'm seeing though, very cool. I'll try again.

Its been a while so maybe I'm a little rusty, but I just got seriously obliterated. I did reduce the difficulty level for my first game, but it would appear I'll have to reduce it even more. Did the AI get pimped in this mod, or am I just too adjusted to Civ5 AI?

I do appreciate the new stuff I'm seeing though, very cool. I'll try again.

The AI can be a bawdy one, indeed. I did improve the AI in some things and, hopefully, I'll be able to do some more work to it.
Anyway, don't worry about it, its just a matter of getting used to the mod. Its still possible to beat the AI at the high difficulty levels. Its a more or less competitive AI, but not a frustrating one, I feel.

Note that the AI is not behind the human regarding the new abilities: thats one thing. And what is now boosting a civ is also helping the AI.
Another thing is that some aspects regarding city management require a little more attention than in the original mod because of a number of subtle changes.
You also tech slower: note that the palace only grants 2 :commerce: per spice instead of 3. To get the third point of :commerce: for your empire, you need to build the 2nd palace, the "Palace of Growth".

Also remember, the further the game goes on, the more collateral damage, airlifting, lauching from homeworld and having enough power presence in the desert becomes important.

Am I blind, or DuneArchipelago mammoth size maps are much, much bigger than the same size Arrakis ones?

Also, should religious buildings (temples, altars of shai-hulud etc) still work when the religion in question is no longer present in the city?

Am I blind, or DuneArchipelago mammoth size maps are much, much bigger than the same size Arrakis ones?

Using DuneArchipelago is not really advised. It was only kept as a legacy from when the Arrakis mapscript didn't exist. There are a lot of game enhancing things that the Arrakis script does that DuneArchipelago doesn't do. They use completely different projections of the planet with Arrakis having the north pole at the centre similar to the maps from the novel, while DuneArchipelago is the same layout as a standard Civ 4 map with north at the top and south at the bottom.

I quite like to increasing the land percentage and radius settings with Arrakis by one point from the default to have a bit more space to play with. By playing with the different Arrakis settings you can generate quite a variety of map styles.

Also, should religious buildings (temples, altars of shai-hulud etc) still work when the religion in question is no longer present in the city?

They are different mapscripts, that's basically it.
They're both playable. There's nothing wrong with Dune Archipelago and I even took the trouble to tweak a little how the ice appears (before it just appeared as a really dull line in the map). Dune Archipelago actually can develop more unpredicable games than the Arrakis mapscript. I recommend playing toroidal, btw.
If you mess around with the different settings, you can get a lot of different play from both mapscripts.

I think religious builds should work, yes, otherwise more new builds should be created for the cultural victory. Its not that simple to have different religious builds in the cities because of certain game mechanics. I think it's alright.

I think I finally finished next version, btw (time to play test and eat my words).

I think I finally finished next version, btw (time to play test and eat my words).

Cool, I look forward to trying it out! Also this modmod has inspired me to update and improve on various 2D and 3D art assets. Will post some screenshots later.

Cool, I look forward to trying it out! Also this modmod has inspired me to update and improve on various 2D and 3D art assets. Will post some screenshots later.

Nice. Looking forward. In that case, would you consider doing also a new flag (light purple) and homeworld for House Richese?

Nice. Looking forward. In that case, would you consider doing also a new flag (light purple) and homeworld for House Richese?

Yeah, no problem. Any thoughts on what the flag should be? I've cleaned up all the leaderheads so I can look at the Richese one too.

Have you thought about other additional factions yet? A couple that I thought might be interesting:

1) Spacing Guild: We had them as a faction a long time ago, but it would be interesting to get them in as a playable faction again. I was thinking you could maybe make them similar to the Kuriotates in FFH2 where they can only have a small number of super cities that are space ports. You perhaps look at tying their income into the Homeworld transport mechanic and some abilities relating to Heighliners in orbit such as bombardment.

2) The Iduali (Waterstealers): It could be interesting to develop a more aggressive Fremen style faction built around stealing water. Not sure how this would work exactly - water bonuses for being at war?

The hard thing with additional factions is coming up with clearly distinct gameplay concepts that are distinct from the existing ones.

Yeah, no problem. Any thoughts on what the flag should be? I've cleaned up all the leaderheads so I can look at the Richese one too.

Thanks. Their symbol is supposed to be the Lamp of Knowledge. Or since they are the hammer civ in the game, something related to the hammer symbol, I don't know. Whatever you like, since you're doing it.
And, hey, if you can make better leaderheads as well, that would be excellent. Two leaders: Ilban (old) and the daughter Helena (thirties?).

Have you thought about other additional factions yet? A couple that I thought might be interesting:

1) Spacing Guild: We had them as a faction a long time ago, but it would be interesting to get them in as a playable faction again. I was thinking you could maybe make them similar to the Kuriotates in FFH2 where they can only have a small number of super cities that are space ports. You perhaps look at tying their income into the Homeworld transport mechanic and some abilities relating to Heighliners in orbit such as bombardment.

Interesting. What version did you have them in?

2) The Iduali (Waterstealers): It could be interesting to develop a more aggressive Fremen style faction built around stealing water. Not sure how this would work exactly - water bonuses for being at war?

Funny that you mention the Iduali now considering that yesterday I decided to name the barbarians "Jacurutu" and their leader "Iduali" :p.
I might change my mind again. Or simply improve on the barbs? They´re pretty much a non entity after the early game. What I mean is that I tie the stealing of water with the barbs.

The hard thing with additional factions is coming up with clearly distinct gameplay concepts that are distinct from the existing ones.

Let me tell you, the hard thing is to make them distinct and balanced, just distinct enough is doable. Civ IV is quite flexible for modding.

There's many angles to go into. For example, flanking and paradropping, BTS mechanics, are still not being used. I want to use such for the next civ and I also have this crazy idea about warp gates (warping stacks to most plots) but I have to try and confirm some things first. There's other ideas.

I want to create House Moritani, the Honored Matres, the Smugglers faction and maybe the Fenring faction. Too much stuff.

Really enjoying this mod/mod now, and I'm excited about the upcoming development.

In that case, would you consider doing also a new flag (light purple) and homeworld for House Richese?

Had a stab at a new planet and icon for Richese:

Spoiler :

Other stuff. Updated main menu screen:

Spoiler :

Converted Beyond Earth units, planning to convert another 16 or so of these to replace units in the Guardsman, Suspensor, Scorpion and Siege lines.

Spoiler :

As part of tidying up leaderheads I've finally replaced Rhombur with something that fits better with the other ones:

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0028.jpg
    Civ4ScreenShot0028.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 624
  • Civ4ScreenShot0030.jpg
    Civ4ScreenShot0030.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 580
  • Civ4ScreenShot0031.jpg
    Civ4ScreenShot0031.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 616
  • Civ4ScreenShot0041.jpg
    Civ4ScreenShot0041.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 599
  • Civ4ScreenShot0039.jpg
    Civ4ScreenShot0039.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 578
Had a stab at a new planet and icon for Richese:

Spoiler :

Nice. Thanks a lot.

Other stuff. Updated main menu screen:

Spoiler :

Converted Beyond Earth units, planning to convert another 16 or so of these to replace units in the Guardsman, Suspensor, Scorpion and Siege lines.

Interesting. I actually never looked at Beyond Earth. Looking forward to it.

Spoiler :

As part of tidying up leaderheads I've finally replaced Rhombur with something that fits better with the other ones:

Spoiler :

I really like that picture. I wonder about the knife, though. I would more quickly use that leaderhead for someone like Count Fenring perhaps :p.

Mr.M said:
To get the third point of for your empire, you need to build the 2nd palace, the "Palace of Growth".

Not sure about the name "Palace of Growth" - feels a bit out of place. How about Sector Command, Regional Headquarters or something like that? Finding it hard to think of a better name that fits the theme.

Interesting. What version did you have them in?

The Spacing Guild was definitely in Dune Wars 1.2 but gone by 1.4. They weren't very fleshed out concept-wise compared to the current factions.

Funny that you mention the Iduali now considering that yesterday I decided to name the barbarians "Jacurutu" and their leader "Iduali" :p.
I might change my mind again. Or simply improve on the barbs? They´re pretty much a non entity after the early game. What I mean is that I tie the stealing of water with the barbs.

The reason why we kept the name as "Arrakeen" for the barbs is that the Sandworms also get the name. Maybe you could add a Python hack to remove that.

Not sure about the names you've gone with as Iduali is the name for all the Waterstealers collectively and Jacurutu is the name of a single sietch. Personally, I think the Barbs should be called the Iduali if you want to go that way, and their cities should be named Jacurutu, Shuloch, etc.

Fully agree that the barbarians should be more interesting and challenging. Having them survive or even make a come back in the mid-game could be interesting.

And, hey, if you can make better leaderheads as well, that would be excellent. Two leaders: Ilban (old) and the daughter Helena (thirties?).

What do you think of these? I used Jessica from the 1984 Dune movie and the King from Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet.

I'm thinking Hamlet could a good source for some more leaderheads. The uniforms have the right kind of vibe.

Attachments

• hamlet.jpg
    hamlet.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 608
The reason why we kept the name as "Arrakeen" for the barbs is that the Sandworms also get the name. Maybe you could add a Python hack to remove that.

It can be done easily in the hardcode.

Not sure about the names you've gone with as Iduali is the name for all the Waterstealers collectively and Jacurutu is the name of a single sietch. Personally, I think the Barbs should be called the Iduali if you want to go that way, and their cities should be named Jacurutu, Shuloch, etc.

Fair enough, I'll call them Iduali and the Leader will be Unknown for now.

What do you think of these? I used Jessica from the 1984 Dune movie and the King from Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet.

A bit weird seeing Derek Jacobi used for this, but I like them. Thanks.

I'm thinking Hamlet could a good source for some more leaderheads. The uniforms have the right kind of vibe.

Seems like you have a good feel for it.

Btw, maybe you would like to check the new buttons for the new richese builds and units and see if you can improve them? I would send you a link to my current version this weekend if you would like to help also on that.

Fair enough, I'll call them Iduali and the Leader will be Unknown for now.

You could use the name Muriz. He is a judge at Jacurutu in Children of Dune.

Btw, maybe you would like to check the new buttons for the new richese builds and units and see if you can improve them? I would send you a link to my current version this weekend if you would like to help also on that.

Yes, send the link. I can take a look sometime on Monday.

@Mr.M,

Any approximate time for next version release?

Thank you.

JosEPh :)

Top Bottom