Civdos Version 3+ tactics

The reason to build both Colossus and Observatory in the same city is the effects are cumulative. You get the best value by first upping the trade of one city then upping the science.

Version 475 indicates CD-ROM distribution while 474 indicates floppy. I am unaware of any programmatic differences between the two.

Your game sounds screwed. It's not a side effect of having version 1.

Hello Whelkman,

no this is nothing like version 474.01 - this definitively is a later version than 474.03. I cannot make an entertainer into a tax collector before a city has at least size 5. So this is at least 474.03+. But there are many indications that this version is actually newer than 474.05. Everything that was changed was done to make the game more difficult - and that was the road they were going on ever since they started making newer versions. There is another thing I just discovered. You are supposed to be able to have up to 3 traderoutes per city. This does not apply for my version. The maximum of traderoutes per city is two in this version. And since Abandonia seem to have the same version that I have I have a notion it will be difficult to get any 474.xx versions over here in Germany any more (unless I get them used). Might have to start searching on ebay. I would love to see bombers and fighters behave normally.... not much use in building them when they fight like settlers... :-(

There may be even more nasty things - but since I never played any of the 474.xx versions I have no comparison. I can only draw my conclusions from what I read on how it should be (or how it used to be in the old versions). But I can tell you one thing. If you guys got any (or several) of the 474.xx versions hold on to them. You might have a hard time finding them again if you lose them.

The way city outputs are screwed up (meaning they are reduced) seems to half answer my question about banks now. When cities turn out less output in my version then the break-even point for a bank will be even harder to reach.

But the thing about the Colossus - I thought it would affect the trade of all cities - does it affect one city only? Of course that would explain why to build it in the same city as Copernicus. I may have misunderstood how the Colossus works.

I think the respawning of Civs after they get destroyed is mostly clear now. They only respawn once I think. So Chinese respawn as Americans (same color) and after the Americans are destroyed as well they do not respawn anymore. There appears to be differing info on the date when respawning stops. Somewhere I read it stops at 1850 AD but in another thread I read something about 1200 AD. Haven't been able to verify yet.

If I could access all the 23 pages of the Civdos-Section I probably woud find most of the answers I am looking for. When you mentioned you could access 23 pages that confirmed my assumption that most of the strategy discussions took place in the threads I cannot access. Just compare: You got 20 pages in the section during year 2000 and year 2005. And you got only 3 pages since then. It would be nice if a moderator could comment on why some members cannot access the earlier threads of the forum - while others can. It's not for posting anything in those threads - just for reading them..... The forum is financed by ads - you get more clicks if you don't hide the old threads!

Hello Guys,

pretty much leaving this thread now because I finally managed to pick up version 474.01. I also saw that Apolyton has the civ.exe with version 474.05 for download. So supposedly I just need to change the civ.exe to change between versions 474.01 and versions 474.05?

First impression playing version 474.01 is that the graphics of that version are MUCH better than those of version 475.01. The colors of version 474.01 are much stronger and the images are a lot sharper as well. Game runs a tiny bit slower (playing on native DOS on an old Pentium II that I use especially for old DOS-games) but otherwise no problem. Seeing the difference in graphics I really dislike the nasty version 475.01 now. So I go "back to the roots" now and will see what the game used to be.

The moderators do not seem to read the threads very much. I still would like to know why some people can see 23 Pages in the Civdos General Discussions Mainpage and other - like me - can see only 3 Pages. If it's just a question of how many posts one has I might just come back to various parts of the forum until I get enough posts. But if it's something else that might not help....

[...]I still would like to know why some people can see 23 Pages in the Civdos General Discussions Mainpage and other - like me - can see only 3 Pages.[...]

For those with the same problem, you need to change the display options as shown in the pic attached.

Attachments

• civ fanatics.jpg
    civ fanatics.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 60
Top Bottom