Boat People?

fuzzy3

Chieftain
I recently got back into playing Civ 1.

I am just wondering if the AI is smart enough to put a Settler on a boat and sail it elsewhere to colonize. I have been observing the English on the Earth map. They are supposed to be Expansionistic, but never seem to leave the British Isles... :confused:

Any thoughts or observations?

Yiren.

In nearly all the games I played, AI Civs would sooner or later disembark on my island and build cities next to my own... So my guess is that, indeed, they are able to get settlers to travel the seas on ships.

In fact, I think I remember seeing settlers be unloaded from ships...

Also, having spent more time than is reasonable hacking through CIV.EXE, I think the only units treated with special movements rules are diplomats, caravans, and air units - not settlers.

To confirm that, you can take random save games, open them in JCivED and see what's in the AI civs' boats, I am pretty sure you will soon see some Settlers around.

Thanks, DarkPanda.

I do like the challenge better when my AI opponents exhibit this kind of basic intelligence...

AI players do indeed settle other lands, especially expansionistic civs like the English and Greeks. What you are describing is a problem particular to the Earth map, where the Isles are basically the hardest starting position and the AI seems to be unable to get out of there. The way I see it, they either run out of 'free' shields in their production box by building too many units before they get to triremes, or the AI has some sort of minimum amount of cities it needs to build before it can send out ships to colonize other lands.

On the original Earth map, the English starting position kind of sucks, because the CivDOS AI almost always settles in place on the first turn (that's why the Chinese are usually also crippled on the Earth map, and the Indians don't do so well either). Unfortunately for AIQueen Bess, the default location of London is non-shield Grass, and most of AI-London's BFC (14 of 21 tiles!) is water (1 FPT without Fish). Although 4 of the 6 land-tiles outside AI-London are shield-Grass tiles (2FPT+1SPT; one's under the river), 2 of those 4 won't necessarily always be available (if France is in the game). And Forest only gives 1 FPT (unless it has Deer -- but if it does, then there won't be any Fish in the BFC):

So, while AI-London's population is still small (and barring bonuses), the citizens are often restricted to either harvesting food or amassing shields, but not both, and the AI-English consequently tend to be able either to grow well or build units fast, but not do both at the same time. Assuming that AI-London will preferentially use the shield-Grass as it grows (if it can), and that AIQueen Bess will build only what she 'thinks' she 'needs' to go colonising:
  • The first AI-build is nearly always a Militia (8s, at King level = 8T @ 1SPT, during which time London will also grow to Pop2 and gain another shield-tile, for 2SPT)
  • Then a Settler to improve land (32s = 8T @ 2SPT, then 6T @ 3SPT after growth to Pop3 = 14T)
    • Assumes that France's tiles can be used
    • London will drop to Pop2 again, but the food-box will be 3/4 full
  • Then a Galley to transport the Settler (16s(??? if base cost is 20s???) = 2T @ 2SPT, 4T @ 3SPT after growth back to Pop3 = 6T)
  • then possibly another Settler (to send abroad) (32s = 4T @ 3SPT, 4T @4SPT after growth to Pop4, 1T @ ??? SPT = 9T)
    • London will drop to Pop3, but the food-box will be 5/8 full
  • Then another Militia (or Phalanx, if BronzeWorking has been obtained) to guard that Settler and its new city (8s or 16s = 3T @3SPT; or 3T @3SPT, 2T @4SPT = 5T)
So 40 or 42T at minimum before the AI-English can go abroad (if I've got the Galley cost right, 2-3T more if I didn't), assuming that they don't try and build any Wonders or city-improvements. By the time they've managed to build all that, Team Blue (Germans or French) usually have at least a couple of Pop2-3 towns in western/ central Europe, the Russians have 3 or 4 in central/ eastern Europe (because they usually get 2 Settlers to start), the Babs/ Mongols/ Egyptians have a couple in the Middle East, and the Americans and/or Aztecs are getting a solid lock on North America.

I only remember managing to win with the English on the Earth-map once (at King level)
Spoiler :
I had a fantastic start, with 4 Fish available off the coast -- instead of settling immediately, I roaded the 2 southern flatland tiles, then settled in the midlands, or possibly on the river (= the Firth of Forth?) so as to get all 4 Fish in the BFC. I built a Galley and a Militia to find out who my nearest neighbours were while London was growing large enough to make its first Settler, while researching either Bronze or Horse-riding at 100% (can't remember which -- might have been both, with all that sea-trade).

Having discovered the French and the Romans (i.e. showing that the Russians and the Germans weren't on the map), I knew I had a bit of time, so I used the Settler to road the remaining tiles in Britain (and I might also have forested at least one of the non-shield Grass-tiles) while I built another Militia (or possibly a Phalanx and/or a Cavalry) or two, and then used that first Settler to plant a town on the mainland, I think on the northeastern of the 2 coastal shield-Grass tiles.

After capturing Paris (also built on non-shield Grass by default) -- and possibly also Orleans (if the French had managed to build it already, can't remember), that left me free to expand across Europe and Scandinavia (the Germans spawned in South America, I think). I used London to build most/all of my initial Settlers, with the Galley acting as a bridge between Britain and the first mainland town (which built a Barracks, then Militias, Phalanxes and Cavalries). The newly unloaded Settler would build a road across 2 tiles to my next intended city-site (always on a shield-Grass or Plains) and found a town, while the next Settler was being built in London. That new Settler could then scoot quickly along the roads to the last-founded city, improving tiles as needed, before roading additional tiles to its own city-site.

The Romans still only had Rome when I crossed the Channel, so I bottled them up using a couple of Militias, but otherwise left Caesar alone until my borders extended beyond the Volga, and all my European/ Scandinavian cities were building city-improvements at Pop3-6 -- during which time I'd also started colonising along the North-African coastline. So when I finally sacked Rome, the Russians had nowhere left to spawn except Australia (so I didn't encounter them until much later -- exactly as I'd planned!)

Of the remaining AI-civs, Team Green was the Babs, Team Grey was the Indians (IIRC), and Team Yellow was the Aztecs (might have been the Egyptians originally), so my expansion from Europe and North Africa into the Middle East and SE Asia was effectively unopposed. Because the Aztecs and Americans (and Germans) were sharing the Americas (don't know if the Babs or Indians had also already killed off the Chinese), they kept each other's growth in check until I was also ready to do some trans-Atlantic colonisation in the late game.

Although I could probably have gone full genocidal, I eventually won a Space vic (which was always the one I aimed for).

Attachments

• CivDOS EARTH-London.jpg
    CivDOS EARTH-London.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 338
AI players do indeed settle other lands, especially expansionistic civs like the English and Greeks. What you are describing is a problem particular to the Earth map, where the Isles are basically the hardest starting position and the AI seems to be unable to get out of there. The way I see it, they either run out of 'free' shields in their production box by building too many units before they get to triremes, or the AI has some sort of minimum amount of cities it needs to build before it can send out ships to colonize other lands.

I was playing on Garlic Pudding's most excellent Earth Map (rather than the default Earth map), which improves the Brit Isles somewhat. But that didn't seem to help them any. I encountered one of their Triremes somewhere in the Great Lakes region, but it was unladen. So throughout the game, the English remained a 1-city civilization, eating fish-&-chips from tiny earthern pots... :sad:

Yiren.

Well, that map has the same problem as the original EARTH, the English AI can only build one city on the British Isles, it will also not cut down forests, and it will thus most probably get stuck at 3-4 population and 6-7 units that drain its support.

Top Bottom