Where to Buy Civ 1?

fuzzy3

Chieftain
I am a purist and I would like to buy or find out where to buy a copy of "Civilization" in it's original box set (with the manual inside etc).

Thanks!

Fuzzy the Third

That's a great question and a laudable aspiration!

But I don't have an answer. Civ1 seems more readily available bundled with other games nowadays. Even my set which I got in England three years ago and cost me £10 is boxed by itself with a manual. But it's hardly an 'original' set. Perhaps it depends where you live.

14 years on from my initial post, I am a much older man now, and I realized that I never gave "closure" to the "aspiration" (as Stormerne calls it) expressed in this thread. I am not sure if Stormerne is still around or that any one cares, but this post is for myself, I guess...

So I shall now report that I eventually *did* find a set. Hurrah! The disks are now next to useless, of course, but there is now a sense of completeness of owning both the digital component and the real-world component. (My digital component was my original one from childhood that I conscientiously migrated from 286 computer to 486 computer to computer to computer to computer...)

Yiren.

Cool, I grew up playing this game. I still don't have my own copy, just the set of files someone installed on my old computer that I just keeping copying from one computer to another. I remember the days of the old 386 computers, lots of good memories.

fuzzy3, Congratulations for tracking down your hard copy. It is always good news when a goal is achieved, no matter how small or remote. What do you mean, though, by "The disks are now next to useless, of course" ? Is it really about floppy disks being defunct, or did you get a set of disks that have digitally perished? That, of course, would be a shame after all these years of searching!!

Anyway, I've been after a good printed manual now for some time, but without satisfaction at present. The hunt is still on.

fuzzy3, Congratulations for tracking down your hard copy. It is always good news when a goal is achieved, no matter how small or remote. What do you mean, though, by "The disks are now next to useless, of course" ? Is it really about floppy disks being defunct, or did you get a set of disks that have digitally perished? That, of course, would be a shame after all these years of searching!!

Anyway, I've been after a good printed manual now for some time, but without satisfaction at present. The hunt is still on.

Thanks for the support, Shelley. My comment on the disks is more that I do not have the drives to read them. The disks (both 5 1/4" set & 3 1/2" set) could very well still be perfectly functional.

P.S. My manual is in pretty good condition. Not for sale (yet) though. :D

Yiren.

Top Bottom