Civ1 DOS Succession Game!

and another screenshot (sorry, I don't know how to post multiple files in 1 post)

Attachments

• ss3.jpg
    ss3.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 425
Originally posted by stwils
Siegmund, as I said earlier, SGs for me are great learning tools. So I want to ask you about saying there would be no special resource on the hidden square. You are referring to the hut we don't see, but which Bob uncovered after he played his turn? Are special resources never "under" the hut after it is popped?

I believe Siegmund is referreing to the Resource Pattern. Since there is a fish 2 squares due west of the uncovered square, there will not be any special resource on the uncovered square as special resources will not appear that close together.

Originally posted by addiv
and another screenshot (sorry, I don't know how to post multiple files in 1 post)

Use the "Easy Upload" feature accessible via the "Upload File" link at the very bottom of the page to upload the images. Then you can insert multiple images via [ img ] tags into your post.

Regarding addiv's turn, We have the Mongols on our continent and we gave them mathematics? :eek: Perhaps a fast chariot buildup and attack is not a bad idea, although we don't know exactly where they are yet. Am I correct that that red arrow means that's where the militia came from?

Wow... you sure got a lot done in 15 turns! Now that we have several units out exploring things will be happening quickly. How much farther do we want to go before cutting down to 10 turns each?

That lake west of Thebes is in a nice strategic location ... only two carefully placed defensive units are needed to prevent any westward expansion of the Egyptians. They almost certainly *do* have bronze working already, incidentally, if they chose to take mapmaking from our list of techs. The time between ~2500BC and 2000BC is going to be bloody, if everyone on the continent has bronze working and mathematics already. (I'd encourage putting those blockers in place promptly with the existing units, and let the horseman keep exploring.)

Yes, a trireme will come in handy: notice the green coastline peeking out across only one square of ocean at the far west edge of the map?

Do we know whether the mongols are north or south of the horseman?

@stwils: special resources appear a "long knight's move" (3 squares up and 1 square left, or 3 squares right and 1 square down) from each other. Look at the 4 horses and the coal between Bangkok and Thebes. (Then there is a gap more than 3 squares wide, and another system of equally spaced special squares including the fish NW of Bangkok and the coal NW of Khon Kaen.) What I meant re Bangkok was that, because we had already seen the horse 2E1S, there was no hope of the unexplored squares to the northeast being valuable to Bangkok.

Originally posted by stwils
So I want to ask you about saying there would be no special resource on the hidden square. You are referring to the hut we don't see, but which Bob uncovered after he played his turn? Are special resources never "under" the hut after it is popped?
Actually, there was a special to the NW of Bangkok. There would not also be one to the NE, it's too close to the other one.

If Irish Caesar hasn't posted by 9pm BST Wednesday, I'll take the next go and post a few hours after.

Here's my log:

Turn 1. Year 3120.
Legion heads South-East.
Militia heads south to East of Thebes.
Horseman continues exploring Eastwards.

Turn 2. Year 3100.
Da Nang builds settlers.
Continues building new settlers with the option of switching later to Chariot.
New Settlers head South-East across forest.
Horseman exploring turns North.
Militia continues South.
Legion heads East to uncover map on way through.

Turn 3. Year 3080.
Everyone continues their direction as planned.

Turn 4. Year 3060.
Everyone continues their direction as planned.
Militia uncovers coastline North-East of Thebes.
Settler uncovers coastline South-East of Da Nang.

Turn 5. year 3040.
Move Settler to potential city site. Luckily it uncovers adjacent coastline.
Track militia west towards barricade point.
Horseman still exploring.

Turn 6. Year 3020.
Settler founds coastal city of Songkhla.
Horseman continues exploration.
Legion tracks through Khon Kaen.
Militia skirting round Thebes finds new size 1 Egyptian city of Memphis, 4 squares due north of Thebes.
And it's undefended - ho ho!

Turn 7. Year 3000.
Get first Civilizatio Quiz question to authenticate user: Industrialization from Railroad and Banking.
Horseman still exploring the North.
Memphis still undefended. Shall we walk in and take it? If we do, we'll break our peace treay and we'll destroy the city. If we don't, it'll be harder to crush the Egyptians later.
We're at war guys! We get zero plunder.
Now we need to get the legion plus a new settler to the low lake barricade point to form a jumping off point to invade Thebes.

Turn 8. Year 2980.
Horseman exploring North-Eastern cape.
Legion and militia en route to barricade point.

Turn 9. Year 2960.
New settler produced at Khon Kaen. It's on its way to be the anti-Thebes fortress city.
Continue building new settler with the option of switching later to Chariot.
Horseman still exploring North-Eastern cape.
Legion and militia still en route to barricade point.

Turn 10. Year 2940.
Settler, legion and militia still en route to barricade point.

Turn 11. Year 2920.
Settler, legion and militia still en route to barricade point.

Turn 12. Year 2900.
Horseman finishes exploring North-Eastern cape.
Settler, legion and militia now close to barricade point.

Turn 13. Year 2880.
Bangkok builds Settlers. Total production now minus one shield. Switch worker to horse tile. Switch production to catapult.
Settler sent Eastwards to form "bridging point city" between Bangkok and new barricade city.
Militia and legion both arrive at barricade point. Other settler nearly there.

Turn 14. Year 2860.
Militia and legion fortfied at barricade point. Other settler next door.

Turn 15. Year 2840.
We discover the Wheel. Switch research to Monarchy. Switch Bangkok production to Chariot.
Track horseman towards northern barricade point. Discover Egyptian settler mining hills North of Thebes.
Egyptian emmisary wants a chat, which I allow. They're very weak - they have one advisor only in background. They want a peace treaty. I reject this. They grovel: "Have mercy on our humble and peace-loving civilization. We will give you all of our gold (9) and knowledge if you let us live in peace." I reject this. It's still war.
I attack Egyptian settler with horseman and kill it.

Start of turn 16. Year 2820.
I should hand it over now, but I'll form the new city first and name it.
Settler at Barricade founds city of Chiengmai and sets production to Chariot. It's a double horse resource city (high production for fighting).
Horseman has yet to move.
Other settler has yet to move.

I will leave it there. Next player can finish this move. My intentions would have been...
Aim settler for horse-grassland, two squares away East-South-East, midway between Bangkok and Chiengmai.
Keep horseman blocking escape route North of Thebes and attack Thebes soon.
Found new cities with settlers in production or change to military units to wipe out Egyptians.
Keep units in Chiengmai supported remotely until Thebes falls.
Think about starting Pyramids in Chiengmai after that.
Think about switching temporarily to 100% tax to fund war effort. Income would be a massive 6 gold per turn!

Here's the saved game:
siam2820.zip

Here's what it looks like:

I prefer chariots over legion/catapults. Don't forget that chariots have attack strength 4 in civ 1. Stormerne started building 2 chariot already, and that should continue. 2 chariots will probably enough to take Thebes, and we can always call in the help of the horsemen if it isn't enough.
When we have taken Thebes (i'd say take it as fast as possible), we have quite a lot free space to colonize withouth danger.
Though we have to send 1 or 2 chariots in the direction of the Mongols, to prevent them from threatening our new cities and maybe, if they turn out weak enough, to attack them.
In the long run we will have to attack them anyway or build a boat and find a new island. But that's still of no concern.

I agree with addiv on attacking Thebes with Chariots and then sending Chariots towards Mongolia. Meanwhile we should colonize the entire continent. At some point it is time to connect our cities with roads as well. That should make colonization in the east faster and it is easier to protect our cities from sea barbarians as well.

Don't forget those sites that don't have enough resources to support a big city like that plains south of Da Nang with access to fish and forrest! A size 3-4 city there has a production of 5 or more and it can build many units.

Since we have a big continent I suggest building J.S.Bach's Cathedral early. This will let us switch to a representative government once the continent is all ours. And then our cities can grow and grow.

My research suggestions are Trade, Religion, Republic if we haven't researched any of them already. Next step is probably Navigation.

I think I'm next, right? If not, let me know.

Otherwise will try to post my turns late tomorrow.

stwils

Yes you may as well have the next go. We seem to be settling into a de facto order of play.

Cliff has good advice. My other comments would be:
* There's room for at least another 10 cities on this continent alone! In other words 16 or more in total.
* Watch the westernmost coastline. There's land across the narrow straits there. We may get invaded by that route.
* Be careful to switch to Monarchy in the next few turns. I made sure we were researching it at the moment. Change government as soon as we get it - it's easy to forget!
* You could get a bunch of new settlers improving the city sites and making connecting roads.
* You could make one of the coastal cities a science city (especially one with good special resources) and build appropriate wonders there.
* You could control unhappiness for the time being simply by spinning off settlers from the cities. You can always "build them back in" to existing cities later once they've done their job (unless they travel overseas or unless the cities get too big).

Watch the oedo years if you are going to switch government. Yes, there are oedo years in civ1 as well!

If we revolt in 2900, 2820, 2740, 2660 etc we will only have one turn of anarchy.

What does "oedo" stand for? I've never heard of this before; it's a good tip, although a bit of an exploit ;)

odeo was the person who figured out the years(in civ2) that you could revolt in without anarchy, that is revolt and change gov on the same turn.
I would finish the chariots, maybe one more, then(and w/the other cities) crank out settlers. We can fit a few more cities on our side of the continent, one above the 3-tile lake, one using the coal by the mountains, one using the coal and seals, and one on the coast over ther(with minimal overlap) to give us trireme across the ocean.

Thanks for the oedo clarification Bob_Smurf.

Note, I'm next in the queue after stwils, however I'm going to be away for the Easter weekend starting Friday morning (Eastern (US) Daylight Time) and will probably not get to play until sometime Tuesday, so if you all need to bump me back a spot or two, go ahead.

Top Bottom