Civ1 DOS Succession Game!

If we would do that we would certainly miss all the antiquity Wonders. It's not such a disaster if they build Pyramids, there are enough other useful wonders to switch to, like Great Library or Hanging Gardens.

Actually I think wonders will be finished faster if we use caravans. I also emphasize the importance of J.S. Bach's Cathedral since we are on a big continent and this would be my preferred choice of first wonder to build. HG helps with celebrations but it expires rather quickly.

300 shields is enough to build 7 Settlers which in turn will found 7 cities which will grow to size 2 and have a production of 5 shields each if they work forrest squares. That's 35 shields a turn and it will take only 9 turns to get those 300 shields back. Workers in other cities can be shifted to ocean squares while playing with 100% taxes for some turns which will enable some rush buying as well. But to do all this we need caravans. Wonder building is fast in a large empire that has discovered trade.

True, caravans are a good thing to have, but with Colossus work underway that had to change to something, the best choice was pyramids.

Bach is good to look forward to - but I think the Mongols should be our priority right now; since they're not breathing down our necks right now, let's not give them a chance.

But cliff, we haven't discovered trade yet, have we? So that's not really an option. I almost always build Pyramids first, to get out of despotism.
Life exp #5 21
Fam. size #1 8.3 kids
:lol::eek::lol:

*Siegmund
*Bob_Smurf
*addiv
*stormerne
*stwils
*pdescobar
*cliff
*gonzo_for_civ
*Irish Caesar

Bob_Smurf is correct, we don't yet have trade, so we couldn't stockpile caravans. I originally started the colossus with the intention of making that the big science city. I thought it wasn't too much of a risk since the Colossus is cheap but the PRNG reared its ugly head and gave it to the Americans instead. It's only been going for about 15 turns, so if Siegmund wanted to switch off to an expensive improvement or unit at the start of his set there may not be much waste. Otherwise, we should ride it out and hope that we can finish the Pyramids or get some other wonder to fall back on. I don't recall what else is available currently.

True. I was thinking about abandoning the wonder production and switch to Settler. How many shields do we have? If we have 100 or more I think we should stick with wonder production.

My idea was to not build any wonder until trade had been discovered. I would also research trade as soon as possible.

But this is up to Siegmund and you and the others who are next to decide.

Yes, those citizens seem very active doing... certain things :)

The problem with the Pyramids is that they are such a strong plus in Civ1, especially at the higher levels of King and Emperor. The Civ2 manual even says "We liked the Pyramids' effect but found that introducing it so early skewed the game wildly, so we moved it forward..."

I even know one very experienced and expert Emperor level player who routinely throws the game away if they don't get the Pyramids and starts again!

I would rather we had the Pyramids than another civ.

Interesting! I have always found the Pyramids too expensive to build early and later on when I can afford the wonder I have discovered Democracy anyway so I don't need them.

With the discovery of oedo years the no anarchy aspect is not that useful either. I have never been in a position where I wanted to switch from Democracy to another government.

But in our game we have researched lots of other things and Democracy is still far away so I agree that Pyramids are good to have here.

FWIW, I just checked and it looks like we are at 59 shields with that city having a surplus of 4, making the Pyramids 61 turns away at current rate. One idea might be to slow down expansion some by switching several settlers to chariots to hit the mongols and then research trade and build a couple caravans to speed the Pyramids.

Silly me, I forgot all about the caravan/wonder thing on my turn or I'd have picked trade over writing. Too much civ3 ;)

I should be able to play tonight.

I am quite surprised how much of a rush you are all in to wipe out the Mongols. I lean more towards containing them for the immediate future while we expand across the part of the continent we have to ourselves and build roads so that the units to attack them don't need 600 years to reach them.

As for the pyramids...can't say I am all that fond of them, but at least it's a useful prebuild, though we're going to have some real happiness problems in that city before they get finished. Did anyone even put up a temple first, to get us 2 more content citizens, before starting the wonder?

Well, I forgot the caravan/wonder thing also, thinking "mysticism leads to astronomy, giving us Copernicus for our science city"

Ha, ha. Silly me.

Out of curiosity, how were oedo years discovered?

As for the Mongols, if we don't get rid of them, they'd get rid of us.
Just another example of a pre-emptive strike...unless they decide to strike in the next 10 turns.

I'm just surprised they haven't already started a war.

Originally posted by Bob_Smurf

Life exp #5 21
Fam. size #1 8.3 kids

:lol::eek::lol:

Actually, this is very well possible!

We're still in a prehistoric age so the infant mortality rate is probably very high. That explains the low life expectancy.

@stormerne: I'm using a computer w/98 and XP on different partitions. it's never run on XP correctly, and now not on 98 either.

I will be setting up a pure dos partition tonight so hopefully that'll work.

Wow, a Civ1 SG! Only if I had my civ1 CD and manual... I'd join. :(

It's lost forever! I thing it might've been lost when my cousin moved. :cry:

How sad:cry:
I would also join if I just had older computer with full dos compatibility(sp?)

There was a thread in 'Poly somewhere like "do you keep an old computer around just for old games?" I was suprised how many people do. Mine is old 'n' cr@ppy enough that it plays those hundreds of old shareware DOS games I have.:D

And yes, I do have an older computer in the basement...

Sorry for being a day late playing my set.

Preturn:

MMed to increase production at Sara Buri
Da Nang no production: need to settle or reassign its settler - yes, the settler is about settle!
Tak: after much debate, decided to switch to Temple and let 19 shields go. Why? I want this city to grow to size 5 or 6 without me needing to turn luxury slider on - luxury slider works well when all cities are same size, and after marketplaces are built, but is very wasteful when most cities are small.
Bangkok: MMed to avoid shield deficit
No production in Khon Kaen, but due to grow soon.
Nakhon Sawan: has big food surplus. Plan to mine coal soon.
Chiengmai: MMed for extra shield

Turned science back up to 90% to get next tech in 5 turns instead of 7.

1980BC: Hat Yai builds settlers. Tak completes temple, starts barracks. Am I the only one who prefers to get the 50% bonus in my wars?

1960BC: Rayong founded on coast, 4E2N from Nakhon Sawan. New settler started. Da Nang can again grow and produce shields. Our palace expands. Our population exceeds 300,000.

1920BC: Mysticism discovered, Trade research started. Hua Hin founded on west coast between Bangkok and Hat Yai to bring the 3 unworked bonus grasslands into play.

1900BC: Rushed trireme in Lop Buri, changed trireme in Khon Kaen to settler. Not really wanting to build a settler, and it wont be done for a looong time yet - just dont want to accidentally complete a 2nd trireme when we should be busy colonizing and/or worrying about Mongols.

1880BC: Population reaches 400,000. Trireme sights land west of Bangkok. Noticed Chiengmai is able to produce 5 shields + support its units... switched from settler to barracks. Plan to build the military units primarily in the cities with high production.

1840BC: Road from "the Buris" to Tak finished. Have irrigated some plains near Tak, and the horses near Bangkok, so that we can enjoy the extra shields without paying a slower-growth penalty.

1820BC: Palace expanded again. Finished researching Trade, started on Literacy. Tak is now big enough to pay for its temple on 90% science = 4 turns per tech. 80% science is 6 turns!

Literacy is the last tech we need before we can get The Republic, and only Philosophy comes before Religion. Those should probably be our next 3 techs and we can get them a lot faster than we can build the pyramids. (Republic comes early enough I often don't even bother researching and switching to Monarchy.)

1800BC: Population reaches 500,000. Chiengmai completes barracks, starts a veteran catapult. Change to chariot if you prefer. The trireme has explored 15 tiles worth of the coast of the next continent, and found an unpopped hut and no signs of life. Looks to be uninhabited.

Various Mongol units have been dancing around outside Bokhara. At least 4 militias, 2 phalanxes, and one horseman are active in Bokhara, and so far a phalanx, a horseman, and a settler have been seen outside Samarkand. We will not want to start throwing rocks until we have several units on hand. The good news is no Mongol catapults have turned up yet.

---

The next player has a some important decisions to make.

Right now Tak is one turn away from completing barracks and becoming a unit factory. I am not sure I want it to actually be one: Nakhon Sawan after its settler mines the coal is probably better for a 2nd unit-making-city, and you can switch Tak back to a wonder to start prebuilding for Bach. Then the cities without barracks can build caravans while the cities with build units. If you do decide to make Tak a "wonder city", send its guard unit down the road to be rebased at Sara Buri and bring it back, to get that extra shield per turn going towards the wonder.

Settlers are 1 turn away at Nakhon Sawan and 2 turns away at Sara Buri, which I think is good. Elsewhere, feel free to regard all the settler units as changeable to whatever. Lop Buri currently has no production until it grows.

The horseman SE of Bokhara should retreat 1 square to the east and refortify. As things currently are, a unit from Bokhara can escape past our guard by moving S-SE-SE-NE-NE. I really don't want to see any more Mongol units get out, especially that settler.

Ubon Ratcha is going to grow to size 4 in 3 turns, make sure you give them an Elvis promptly so they don't riot. They have tons of food and will keep growing just fine with an Elvis, but hardly any production. Might want to rush a settler there. After those hills are mined Ubon Ratcha will be an incredible city, with a great mix of high-shield and high-food tiles to work.

Edited just to fix typos.

Thanks Siegmund. Comments anyone?

Bob_Smurf next to play I believe,
followed by addiv, then me.

Comments? There's not much to say about it, Siegmund played well.

2 little things:

- building barracks would not have been my choice. I think we can win without them and we have to sell it again just before we discover gunpowder.

- I think I'm not in favor of switching to monarchy once we get that. Maybe if we have defeated the Mongols by then and have JS Bachs we can do it, but before that time comes I don't think I want to have the revolution and the disadvantes.

Top Bottom