CivOne - An Open Source remake of Civilization 1

Hi, sorry everyone. I promised an update last week and I haven't delivered. The project isn't dead but real life caught up a bit. My wife's pregnant and I had a nursery to build. :D
I will deliver soon... sorry for the delay.

Congratulations! :)

I think we're all like this when it comes to civ 1. The attention varies a lot both in regards to real life but also the urge to tinker, and I think that's perfectly normal for such a hobby project.

As long as we make progress slowly now and then, we will one day be where we want to be.. with a perfectly ported clone of civ.

Hi guys!
Registered special for this topic, I am from Russia so please don't be to cruel for some errors.
I am old gamer, tried to restore my childhood memories - I've download civ1 once again. Played it for a while and then started looking for civ1 - like games in new reissuses. I have found FreeCiv, but found it very complicated (in compare with civ1) and the non-attractive isometric graphics. If this project ever be done - that will be great!
SWY - thanks to you! Wish you well!

Hi everyone, finally an update from me.
I've been playing Civ 1 for almost three days straight, while waiting in the hospital for the birth of my son.

My son was born on Saturday (last minute C-section) and I've just had the best couple of days of my life.

The project has been on hold for a while, sorry about that. I'm not sure how much time I'll find to continue the project in the next couple of weeks, but I still think this project should be made and I will continue once I get used to the new addition to our family.
Thank you all for the patience!

Hi everyone, finally an update from me.
I've been playing Civ 1 for almost three days straight, while waiting in the hospital for the birth of my son.

My son was born on Saturday (last minute C-section) and I've just had the best couple of days of my life.

The project has been on hold for a while, sorry about that. I'm not sure how much time I'll find to continue the project in the next couple of weeks, but I still think this project should be made and I will continue once I get used to the new addition to our family.
Thank you all for the patience!
Congratulations :)
I now seriously wonder what the name of your son is. Something tells me it's Sid. Or Vic. (as in Civ backwards).
Or Montezuma.

Congratulations :)
I now seriously wonder what the name of your son is. Something tells me it's Sid. Or Vic. (as in Civ backwards).
Or Montezuma.

:lol:
We chose to name him Anthony.
I couldn't name my son after a Civilization leader, since any Civilization leader could at any time become my greatest enemy.

Also, when we hear Sid, we immediately think about this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier
But most people will think about this guy: http://i.imgur.com/YVE94BX.jpg

I like the second one. :)

Everyone does. :lol:

Anyway, back on topic, I found some time yesterday, and I'm nearly done with getting EGA colours working. It's going to be a setting, don't worry, the game will still work with VGA colours.

I still want to make some improvements to the city management (custom resource allocation) and making the mouse work everywhere. I will also try to get the menus working and possibly (partially) implement the Civilopedia.

My guess is that it'll take me a week or two to get things done and get the source out, I'm just looking for a catchy name because I don't think "Civ" is going to cut it.
I thought about OpenCiv, but I really don't like that name.

Any suggestions?

Congratulations for your happy events!:)

For the name I can't think anything catchy, but here comes some ideas:
  • RetroCiv
  • Civ1Remake :)
  • Civ.NET or Civ1.NET
  • dotNETCiv
  • Civ#
  • Roots of Civ
  • Civ1 Revisited
  • Civ1 Extended
Maybe OpenCiv isn't that bad after all :rolleyes:

One note of the demo: There's few seconds lag between every turn even if you are not viewing AI moves. I hope it isn't tied to engine or can be optimized away. I mean if AI is just moving around randomly with few units, there's no reason for the lag.

The idea of creating exact clone of civ1dos with all the bugs(features?) and limitations is nice, but I hope it's also very easy to get rid of them.
Heck, when you find time, you should just focus to uploading sources, and not worrying about documenting the code. Unless you have named the classes, functions and variables in some cryptic language, I'm sure people interested of this project can read your code.(At least those who know programming.)

I had my own ideas for when I would start building a Civ clone, so here's a handful:
  • Re-Civ
  • Civ Reborn
  • Civ Rebirth
  • Civ1 Forever (Duke nukem anyone ?? :))
  • CivAgain
  • Civ1++
  • JCiv (Java only)
  • Civ4J (Java only)
  • Civ Origins
  • ArcheoCiv
  • Civ1 - XXIst / 21st century edition

I am trying to wrap up in a single name the main concept of having a "perfect clone of original, but with possibility for enhanced, modern features".... It's not easy to capture (or probably I'm just bad at that kind of thing...)

I had also working title ideas like "project phoenix" (the re-born thing) or "project amber" (re-born from amber-cast DNA, cf. Jurarssic Park), but eventually I believe "Civ" must be in the name, otherwise it loses its visibility significantly (thinking of C-Evo for example).
"FreeCiv" is already out there, too.

Congrats for your baby too :) It happens that I had became a father too, not long before starting this whole Civ mess in 2012... Looks like a pattern here ;)

Swyvilization...? ;)

And congratulations also from me.

I'd just like to say that maybe now more than ever is the perfect point in time to put this on GitHub. You'll get the communitys help to push this further, while you get the time to care for your family.

As an experienced developer I know the urge to "just fix one more ting" or "beauty up the code" before releasing it. You'll never feel confident about releasing your coding in public. You shouldn't be. Being confident about it means you don't expect critisism for the reason that the code is soooo perfect. No code is perfect; at least not in the eyes of ALL others. :)

All of us know that, and for THAT reason you should feel confident enough to release it so that we can start contibuting and throw constructive ideas your way.

Please, pretty please!

PS:
Name suggestion:
Civilization Evolution

Thank you for all suggestions.
I really like the name Civ#.

Civ.NET might be too confusing. We already have CivNET.
Civilization Evolution looks like C-Evo.

I'd just like to say that maybe now more than ever is the perfect point in time to put this on GitHub. You'll get the communitys help to push this further, while you get the time to care for your family.

All of us know that, and for THAT reason you should feel confident enough to release it so that we can start contibuting and throw constructive ideas your way.

Please, pretty please!

Thank you.
I will add the source to Github this week. I just need to add GPL headers to some remaining files and I really want to get EGA graphics finished first.

I have been searching for a "Civ 1" remake for years, gave up for several years, and just as I was about to give up again, found this thread.

It was late in the evening while I was reading SWY's posts about his progress. "Just did that", next day "did this list of things". Wow. This caught my eye... I am quite impressed of how quickly you managed to put everything together and get this far in such a short time frame!

So I want to encourage and congratulate SWY for this work!
I am sure that there will be many Civilization fans who will love to try this remake when everything will be playable! This will be a great remake!

I am quite excited about this Civ# because even though I have played all Civ games, the first is the one that I remember most.
Things like a battleship destroyed while bombarding a Phalanx unit fortified on a mountain. :)

I am also happy that SWY has decided to do a full remake 1st, and after that milestone to add extra features and customization that everyone was dreaming about back in the day!

So good luck with this project!

P.S. How about Civ-alpha? Civ# is good and sounds good, but it might be difficult for search engines because of the # character.

Hi,

any updates on the project?

As I still regularly play DOS Civ 1 I would be more than happy to assist with any testing.

I tried Civ 2 a few times, but hated the isometric view. Never played any of the newer Civilizations.

I also played CivNet, which I found to be slightly easier than regular Civilization - but - the 'go to' function didn't work properly and always sent boats the wrong way.

So I still play the DOS version! There are, of course, some irritating bugs, so that's why an update would be most welcome.

Guys, any news?
Is it possible to RE-create fantastic game even with the child? )))

Top Bottom