Civ 1 editing tools appreciation

Lord_Hill

Prince
Hello all, long time Civ 1 forum lurker/incredibly sporadic poster here. Just wanted to point out how remarkable it is that almost 25 years after Civ was released for DOS, we all of a sudden find ourselves in a position where we have a working map editor in Terraform, a set of modding tools in JCivEd and a very promising looking clone in CivOne.

Big thanks to Dack, Darkpanda and SWY for their efforts in keeping this game fresh and interesting after all this time! :goodjob: great job guys

Thanks, your appreciation is... appreciated :)

It is at least as remarkable that after 25 years there are still people around to remark such work!

I must say, before discovering CivFanatics, I used to spend time here and there playing some games of CivDOS, year after year, with the awkward and sterile feeling of going back to a thing of the past...

But now I know I am not alone, and with every new subscriber that comes posting here, month after month, I grow more and more convinced that there is something unique to CivDOS, a "magic formula", that creates this addictive gameplay to which we keep coming back, even after playing the sequels and the latest blockbusters - that, or we're all just an "old gamers nostalgia club" ;)

Anyhow, everything I am doing around here is trying to re-capture this emotion, and being able to dissect CIV.EXE down to its smallest bytes is a real privilege in that way.

So let me thank back everyone in the CivDOS community for keeping this alive!

EDIT: and of course, thanks to Sid Meier, Bruce Shelley, Jeff Briggs and all those other civilized guys who used to hang around MPS Labs :)

I'm glad people are enjoying our efforts. As for CivOne... I've been wanting to create this clone for the last 10 years, glad I got started on it now. It would be stupid to keep it all for myself. :)

I don't know what it is with CivDOS that makes me keep coming back to it.
I've own all sequels, I really enjoyed Civ3 and Civ4, but I keep coming back to CivDOS.

Like darkpanda said (I couldn't have said it better):
So let me thank back everyone in the CivDOS community for keeping this alive!

Above all, I would especially like to thank darkpanda for his amazing work on deciphering every bit in CIV.EXE. I wouldn't have been able to make CivOne if it wasn't for his efforts and extremely detailed documentation.

:high5:

Keep up the good work Civfellows. I'm amazed with your efforts, you really deserve our gratitude.
I don't know why, but CIV I is the only game I still play fanatically. Best game ever!

You guys are amazing and one of the only reasons I know this site exists. Thank you for showing me such a great game and community.

Hello all, long time Civ 1 forum lurker/incredibly sporadic poster here. Just wanted to point out how remarkable it is that almost 25 years after Civ was released for DOS, we all of a sudden find ourselves in a position where we have a working map editor in Terraform, a set of modding tools in JCivEd and a very promising looking clone in CivOne.

Big thanks to Dack, Darkpanda and SWY for their efforts in keeping this game fresh and interesting after all this time! :goodjob: great job guys

I was just about to create a thread, and then I saw you mention something about a clone game? :confused: :crazyeye: Really? I've got to do some googling.

Here is what I was going to post:

I still have a very special place in my heart for Civ 1. But I can't play it any more. The AI drives me nuts with it's irrational 'surprise attacks.' You could have 20 cities and the AI could have 5, and they will surprise attack you. Another similar problem is that the AI gets an irrational hate for you if they are stronger, and they won't listen to reason.

There are other issues too. The AI landing on your developed land from the sea, when you cannot do the same. The lack of automation features like an explore option for units, or for automated control of your resource squares, or for your settlers. Etc., etc.. Features like alliances and right of passage treaties would be a nice addition.

I would love to see someone create a Civ 1 clone. I would definitely buy it!

The newer games became unnecessarily complex, in my opinion. Complexity being more important than realism. Civilization 4 is too complex in my opinion. Too many things to build. Units having different effectiveness vs other types of units. Etc.. I don't need things to be so complicated. What appeals most to me is realism.

Anyway, I'm just dreaming. I doubt anyone will be designing a Civ 1 clone game any time soon. But I would sure love to see it.

I'm glad people are enjoying our efforts. As for CivOne... I've been wanting to create this clone for the last 10 years, glad I got started on it now. It would be stupid to keep it all for myself. :)

I don't know what it is with CivDOS that makes me keep coming back to it.
I've own all sequels, I really enjoyed Civ3 and Civ4, but I keep coming back to CivDOS.

Like darkpanda said (I couldn't have said it better):

Civilization 1 was great because it was simple fun. The newer games added complexity. Realism is what was really needed. Realism creates an immersive experience.

I'm looking forward to seeing version 1.0 of CivOne. Thank-you!

Top Bottom