Welcome to Orbis - Download Information

Apriori, without having looked at all at the Orbis sources, I'd say it's most likely too much python code doing too much work. Every time the engine has to bridge between the dll and the python code a lot of processing time gets used. If new events are added which get triggered alot this can slow a mod down. Further, python code runs quite a bit more slowly then the comparable algorithm in C++.

Beyond that, it may be there are some run away algorithms in the mod, but without profiling or benchmarking tools (or a detailed understanding of the mod's codebase), we'll never find them (unless they're obvious, in which case I rather think Ahwaric would already have found them).

Yeah, there's some things to remove from the python, mostly the one in GameUtils that get triggered every turn, as in EventManager.

Like the canBuild callback.

Perhaps the "GONE_TO_HELL" victory check at the end of each turn, too.

Also, the number of units. That's why having hard limits on the number of units could speed FFH up.

I have Civ installed under default directories in Vista 64-bit, and it works "fine". (I say "fine" because it is slow ;). Can't play on huge maps, takes too long to process turns :( ).

Well, mine is Vista 86bit. So, I'm just gonna try running it from the normal program files.

I'm looking for huge Erebus pre-made maps. Nikis-knight's one is the best for me. But I can't play it with Orbis. Are there any conversions?

Yes. But it isn't a top priority, at least for me, as the speed gain seem to be somewhat low for what FFH would need.

Well beyond the CAR mod, the more interesting thing, I believe, is their Three Kingdoms Mod. Since I can't seem to make FfH work via Steam and thus can't play Orbis, I've been playing this mod a lot and the legion system is a really nice take on the old Civ III Army system.

If at some future time, this could be included, I think it would also add a broader concept of the Great General.

Yes, their mod is great, with a lot of good ideas :)

I must say that the legion system also might allow the AI more flexibility when faced with lack of resources as a legion of 2-3 units early in the tech tree can still be formidable and thus make them more viable. Too often I saw the AI get boxed in away from certain resources such as copper, iron or horses and thus couldn't readily be aggressive to acquire these resources since the only way they could do it is with massive waves of troops which meant they couldn't be building up their cities and usually they'd lose so many troops in the attack, the other player (AI or human) could usually take back the city pretty easily.

So the legion system might it easier for the AI to be a better player in the long run. That and the fact the armies can be defensive in nature is nice. Trying to wipe out a faction that has their leader defending as a archer legion is not pleasant for the attacker.

Do anyone know where the PDF Manual of Orbis is saved? The one listing all changes to Pagan Temples for different civs. I can't seem to find it in the threads.
Thanks!

Do anyone know where the PDF Manual of Orbis is saved? The one listing all changes to Pagan Temples for different civs. I can't seem to find it in the threads.
Thanks!
I have removed it as it is massively outdated (version 14c if I recall correctly) and I did not want people to play according to that info.
The biggest change is that they are different now, but civiliopedia should list all the attributes.

If you really want to get that pdf, check my account - it is listed there. I do not want to post the link as not to encourage anyone ;)

Agree @ the legion system from HoTK being awesome. Just picked up that mod, it is really sweet (not a big fan of the map they use, though.. historically accurate as it may be.)

I like it too.

I have a couple of ideas for using it... Though it may be a pain to import and may not fit FFH well.

Yes, their mod is great, with a lot of good ideas :)

Leme guess, that's French for "I love the mod and the features, and am in the process of pilfering its components" right? ;)

This is probably not specific to Orbis, but that's what I'm playing. Random start with unrestricted leaders gave me the intriguing combination of Perpentach and the Kuriotates. Soon I find the "real" Balseraphs nearby under a weak leader, so I am able to annex Coombe View and since the K's Sprawling trait includes assimilation, I have my very own Balseraph colony and am looking forward to Harlequins and Taskmasters. But lo, when Perpy has his first fit of insanity he loses the K's Sprawling trait! This is good, since I can now settle regular radius-3 cities in addition to the three radius-4s I already have. Not so good in that assimilation is gone and I can no longer build the special Balseraph buildings. Probably a bug, or maybe just part of the merriment.

And that is why unrestricted leaders option will be removed in next version :p

Or maybe not, you can do what you want. But I am not going to fix something that will not happen if you play the normal way.
Leaders are designed to rule the particular civ. It is certainly game breaking if you break that rule.

So, if sprawling gets removed by Cardith's adaptative, it is a serious bug. In this case, I do not care :lol:

Top Bottom