Hulfgar's Modpack

Hello Body Massage,

thanks for this feedback,

I will revert the units maintenance cost to vanilla settings for the next version, I agree they are too high.

For your problem with the tech tree, could you make me a screenshot and give me some details : language used to play, screen resolution.
With some luck I will find a solution.

Sure, I run in 1920X1200 and in English. Here's my screengrab

Spoiler :

That's as far as it'll expand. I can't go any further down the tree. So I can see up to the begining of the Medieval era...Still AMAZING mod though. Seriously. I've been telling everyone about it.

I love how you have to refine more and more resources to actually use them!

Edit: I just fired off a standard game, without your mod, and I have a scroll bar at the bottom. That would be the difference.

Hulgfar,
I was running v.8 and experienced the same tech tree problem as Body Massage. I run the game in windowed mode at 1680x1050. I was hoping v.9.1 would fix it, but my v.8 saved game will not load in that version.
Guess it's time to start a new game.

Thanks for all your hard work, so far the mod is EXCELLENT!!!

Also, does this Mod work well with the "Unofficial Patch and Vanilla Enhanced Mod"?

Most changes will be incompatible with saved games, as an example : just adding a single unit makes the new version incompatible :(
That's why it's always best to finish a game before trying a new version.

Because of this I will probably slow down the release of new versions once I have polished version 9.

Also, does this Mod work well with the "Unofficial Patch and Vanilla Enhanced Mod"?
Not at all :( Both mods change too much things to be compatible.
That's why i'm trying to merge UP and VEM into my mod.
It's done for UI tweaks and add ons (thanks to Redox who handled the LUA coding) and for the Balance Combat Mod.
I've tried to merge the Balance Policies but I am running into bugs and I have not found the solution at this time.
WWGD is merged but I had to disable the diplo part, because of some bugs.

I hope to reproduce the tech tree bug with the details users can give me (again, as in previous version of this bug it doesn't happens for me, which makes it even harder to solve!).

Body Massage and Slo5oh I suppose you have no other mod enabled and you deleted the previous version and the cache folder ?

I did delete my cache folder, but I do still have my save game. I was running modpack v.8 and UP VEM v.108 (didn't know they don't play nice together). I ran that game out to 86 turns before I realized I couldn't scroll on the tech tree. I suppose it could have been because of the combo? You probably shouldn't use my problems as a base to work off though. I swapped out my motherboard (different chipset) and CPU 2 days ago but haven't reloaded my OS and I'm having some strange system problems that could be contributing. I'm planning a clean OS load this weekend, so after that I should be golden. If you want that saved game though, just say the word.

I have no other mods activated, but I haven't deleted my cache yet. I can try that.

I had 4.0 installed from waaaaaaay back. Then most recently 9.0 and now 9.1.

I had uninstalled Civ entirely around after trying 4.0, but I'll check the cache too.

Which Civ where you playing when you had the broken tech tree ? or does it happens with all the civs ?

First I want to say I like your work the best of all the mods I have tried. But, when a mod has a problem that has not been fixed and you continue to do more mods I have come to the conclusion it isn't worth my time if I can not complete a game.

I have not had a tech tree that loads since I first stated the problem - but the problem is still there. I am now running Civ 5 on a new computer with the same problem as on an older computer.

A tech tree that does not work.

Now with your latest mod, upon completing Chemistry, when I click on tech tree NOTHING comes up. Before if some techs showed up I could go to help to find which tech was the best to use.

Now it is just a blank. I stopped the game and reloaded it both from saved game and from the auto saves and both times upon completing Chemistry NO new techs came up to select.

Is making a Tech tree impossible?

Your mod is by far the most fun to use but never knowing if it will work it takes all the fun out of the game.

I understand you well ColumbusLee, and you are right.

But you can sure understand that it is hard to fix something that does not appear to be broken : I never had a broken tech tree on my computer since I began the work on this mod. And I don't only do random tests, I play it as well (that's the main reason why I am still developping it :) ).

I have spent hours trying to fix a problem for which I can't see if the fix has worked.

I don't even know how many times this bug appears : I have 3 feedbacks about this out of 220 downloads.

This is why I am trying to play it in the same conditions as BodyMassage : in the hope to have the bug and so have an idea to where it may hide.

When I released V9 I had the hope that the corrections would have solved the problem. Evidently this not the case :(.

I am still working on this bug, V9.2 will perhaps solve it, but If I can't reproduce the bug I will not be able to see if it has worked.

This just to say that I understand if you stop playing this mod, not being able to finish a game is frustrating.
But please don't believe that I continue to release because I don't care what happens with the tech tree. I am really very sorry to waste the time of players.

Hello Kitsune420,

I can adjust the happiness and gold issue, it's not a problem : the game is supposed to make fun :)

Do you play the latest version ?

I'm asking this because in version 9 and 9.1 I've added extra maintenance cost to most of the industrial and modern units.
I'm still not sure if this is playable or game (and fun) breaking.
If you find the maintenance cost too high you can disable this part by deleting the file Maintenance.sql in the SQL folder of the mod (or just rename this file to disable it).
It may even be compatible with saved games.
For the future I plan to reduce the cost of some buildings (after all a brewery or tavern should not cost money to the state, but bring money via taxes !).

As for the happiness issue I can boost some buildings (and I have 1 or 2 new planned).
I want to work on the policies as well, but this is a little more complicated.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Yes latest version installed! You have reduced all happiness the vanilla version had, and the vanilla version was bad as it was. Unit maintenance has been increased a bit or done differently. I'm trying to build a massive military go for domination for once and I can't afford it and happiness goes into the sewer once your military increases past a point. (unsure what that number is)

The contractor unit I will never be able to afford to build, making it pointless to have at 15 gold a turn. Give us more ways to make gold/happiness please. Thanks love most aspects of the Mod, be nice to see it support at least 2 units per tile, remove embarkation from the game entirely I hate that about vanilla. I never enjoyed stacks of units but I do like more then 1 unit per tile, I am using the Mod to do just that.

Only other mods I use with yours are city state leader graphics, remove map and barbarian from goody huts and use random hut generator to improve the generation of them on large maps. I use improved small land masses as well no issues.

I understand you well ColumbusLee, and you are right.

But you can sure understand that it is hard to fix something that does not appear to be broken : I never had a broken tech tree on my computer since I began the work on this mod. And I don't only do random tests, I play it as well (that's the main reason why I am still developping it :) ).

I have spent hours trying to fix a problem for which I can't see if the fix has worked.

I don't even know how many times this bug appears : I have 3 feedbacks about this out of 220 downloads.

This is why I am trying to play it in the same conditions as BodyMassage : in the hope to have the bug and so have an idea to where it may hide.

When I released V9 I had the hope that the corrections would have solved the problem. Evidently this not the case :(.

I am still working on this bug, V9.2 will perhaps solve it, but If I can't reproduce the bug I will not be able to see if it has worked.

This just to say that I understand if you stop playing this mod, not being able to finish a game is frustrating.
But please don't believe that I continue to release because I don't care what happens with the tech tree. I am really very sorry to waste the time of players.

If it helps at all, I have all of the graphical settings at their maximum. AA, AF and so on.

Thanks Body Massage,

I don't suppose that it is an hardware issue but who knows ...

Do you have DLCs installed ?
Which one and do you know if a DLC Civ is in your bugged game ?

I have launched a game with America, starting in the Renaissance Era : tech tree ok. So it's not related to the civ.
I have some tweaks that I can try, I may need until the end of the week to polish them after that I will be out of ideas :-(

Kitsune420 thanks for the feedback,

ver 9.2 will be without extra maintenance cost for the bulk of the military (for some "special" weapons that are not supposed to be used in large numbers I will keep a small extra).
Until version 9.2 you can disable this extra maintenance just by deleting the file "Maintenance.sql".
With the happiness it's something strange : I didn't reduce the vanilla settings and in fact I added more happiness sources : pub, ski resort, water sport resort.
But again ver 9.2 will have some tweaks for more happiness in the Empire :)

remove embarkation from the game entirely I hate that about vanilla.
It's planned, at least to give it a try : I could make some ships for sea assault and transportation. The only big question is how the AI will handle it...

That's the same for a 2 units per tile system. I will probably give it a try but I fear that it would probably be good for the human player and bad for the AI.
This is something that I will try when everything else works :)

By the way : is the tech tree ok for you Kitsune420?

Hulgar, quick question. I am still having issues with the tech tree. Were do I put Technologies fix.rar file?

I have the same exact issue as body massage. Cant scroll tech tree and it looks broken same as the pic he send u.
I Cleared cache, took all mods out but yours and restarted several times. The bug tech tree is there every time for me with random civs.

I was able to fix the Tech tree bug.
I read your directions closer and found this.

"If you don't have the DLC Inca/Spain, you need to deactivate this DLC specific content :
Open the mod's folder, go in folder DLC SPECIFIC, put an underscore before DLC SPAIN_INCA (it will look like this : "_DLC SPAIN_INCA")"

After I deactivated both DLC and started a new game, Tech tree had a scroll bar and was usable. :)

I'm also having the tech tree problem - but reading the previous posts that may be fixable... I don't have the DLC's either.

I second the question about the technologies fix file in the first post. Is that supposed to fix the tech tree problem? How/where is it installed?

Also should mention I had a hard time installing this mod. It DLed as a .civ5mod file, which isn't readable by any program. After experimenting, I found I could convert it to a .rar file (context menu right mouse button) which I could then extract to the mods folder - though I first had to create an appropriately named sub-folder there manually.

Somehow, I don't think this was the intended procedure... :)

Hello Dragonlord and Morbius221,

if you're playing ver.9 or 9.1 you don't need the tech tree fix : it was made for ver 8. and is included in 9.x.

The mod has ethnic skins for spain units so yes if you don't have the DLC spain/Inca, you need to disable this content.
Same is true with the Polynesia DLC.

For other buyable DLCs the mod should be compatible but I cannot be sure, especially with the tech tree they can lead to problems.
So if you're having such DLCs ( the vikings for example), I would advice to not play their specific civs with my mod.

Also should mention I had a hard time installing this mod. It DLed as a .civ5mod file, which isn't readable by any program. After experimenting, I found I could convert it to a .rar file (context menu right mouse button) which I could then extract to the mods folder - though I first had to create an appropriately named sub-folder there manually.

Somehow, I don't think this was the intended procedure... :)

This is clearly not the intented procedure :)
Civ 5 should install the mod automatically but some people had to do it manually (this is the case for other mods by the way, so it may be a bug in modbuddy).
A quick and easy 2nd solution is to manually unpack the .civ5mod file with 7zip in the mod's folder.

Morbius I'm glad the Tech tree is working for you now, Dragonlord please tell me if it's ok for you as well.
Ver 9.2 will have a reworked tech tree, but I fear that the DLCs will always be a potential bug source.

I had no problems with download and extension, you simply let CIV 5 install the mod after you drag it to the Mods folder. :) I don't care for their central hub methods, quite slow so I loved that straight off about his mod.

Thanks Hulfgar, you rock!!

HI,

Like the mod so far, but 2 issues. Why are the units even smaller than in vanilla. I have trouble seeing the units in vanilla V compared to Civ4, now its worse. I assume these are scaled somewhere, where can I make less units and make them bigger. As is the new artworks are kinda wasted too.

Why is the mod not uploaded to the online database? Also the intructions are wrong, they mention steamapps/civ5/MODS etc directory, but I imagine on many systems the MODS folder is in users/mydocuments/my games folder.

Hello bruntfca,

Why are the units even smaller than in vanilla.

Because I use the scales used in Gedemon's R.E.D. Modpack to have a more realistic scale between soldiers and tanks (for example).

You can easily change this if you edit these 2 files with any XML editor :

in Civ5ArtDefines_UnitMembers.xml you can adjust the scale by tweaking this line for each unit : <fScale>0.09</fScale> (here the 0.09 is the scale I use for foot units. In vanilla Civ 5 this scale is 0.14)

in Civ5ArtDefines_Units.xml you can adjust how many models will be used to make a unit.

Some units have only 1 model, other have more.

For each model used you will find those lines :
Code:
<UnitMemberArt>
			<MemberType>ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_FRANCE_MUSKETMAN1</MemberType>
			<MemberCount>3</MemberCount>
		</UnitMemberArt>
		<UnitMemberArt>
The line <MemberCount>3</MemberCount> defines how many units of the model are used to make the whole unit.
In the example of the french musketman if you want to keep 1 unit of each model it will looks like this :

Code:
<UnitArtInfo>
		<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_FRANCE_MUSKETMAN</Type>
		<Formation>HonorableGunpowder</Formation>
		<DamageStates>1</DamageStates>
		<UnitMemberArt>
			<MemberType>ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_FRANCE_MUSKETMAN1</MemberType>
			<MemberCount>1</MemberCount>
		</UnitMemberArt>
		<UnitMemberArt>
			<MemberType>ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_FRANCE_MUSKETMAN2</MemberType>
		</UnitMemberArt>
		<UnitMemberArt>
			<MemberType>ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_FRANCE_MUSKETMAN3</MemberType>
		</UnitMemberArt>
		</UnitArtInfo>

If you want to keep only 1 model to make the unit then you can delete the 4 lines for each model you don't want (from <MemberType> to </UnitMemberArt>).

The files to tweak are in ...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Hulfgars Modpack9.2 (v 9)\XML

If it's unclear or if you need more help just ask :)

Why is the mod not uploaded to the online database?
Which database do you mean ? If it's the mod's database that you can browse from Civ 5 it's because the upload will break each time I try it and I have stopped trying it.
I will probably try again when the mod is more polished.

Also the intructions are wrong
Which line of instruction do you mean? I don't remember if I did a custom or basic install and it may depend of the windows version so I'd better check it to give proper instructions :)

Top Bottom