some details written on 24th of Ferbr.

V. Soma

long time civ fan
According to this:
http://www.unigamesity.com/juicy-new-civilization-v-details-revealed/

- The graphics will move to an Art Deco line, including menus and architectural design.

- The game engine is brand new

- We will no longer be allowed to stack more units on the same tile. This means that there’s a limit of one unit per box, which completely changes the way the game will look like (including war).

- All ranged units (archers, catapults etc) will be allowed to attack units one hexagon away.

- The hills, forests and lakes will therefore become more important for the gameplay.

- Expanding your borders will be a bit more difficult and we’ll be allowed to buy land or conquer it, different types of land requiring more to be conquered.

- Barbarians will no longer disappear if left unattacked. Also, they will build up their own cities too

- Mutual research will be possible to speed up research times if you team up with other civilizations.

- AI civs will plan on a longer term instead of deciding what to do in the present.

well, something to chew on :)

Sounds like what we learned from the Danish article. Hopefully the GamePro one will be more in depth. Hopefully.

from here:
http://nukem.se/pc/ny-info-fran-civilization-5/

well, I just copy in this again, this time what google translated from swedish...
I leave it just in its bad English as the google made it...

I highlight some things with bold...

• Instead of the previous games quite anomyma realistic design will Civ 5 will move in a stylized Art Deco lines. This includes everything from menus to architectural design.

• The game engine is brand new and has nothing to do with the previous games.

• Now you can have only one unit per box, instead of the earlier parts where you could stack some thirty war elephants in the same box. This is true both in cities and on the ground. Thanks to this project, waiting to war will be much more strategic and grand, then it is not just about standing on a hill outside the opponent's capital.

• All distance units (catapults, archers, muskets, and everything in between) have the ability to attack something that stands a hexagon from them.

• Because of these changes will be things such as hills, forests and lakes of much greater importance than in the previous sections, where most were ornaments.

• To gain control of hexagons is much more difficult and more important than in earlier parts, which always had lots of unnecessary land. In fifth grade will take over a box at a time, although this may be speeded up by investing money in the area.

• Hexagons that are more difficult location (type, in a forest or a mountain) will take much longer to conquer. A swamp area, for example, almost require that you own all HEXARA about it before it can be conquered.

• State Governments will act as a diplomatic hotspots. For example, maybe there is one in an area you want, but it is sponsored by another player. You attack the city, he will probably be mad at you, just as it can be an important resource in your civilization's survival.

• Barbarians will build on its own little town on the map that must be destroyed to make you avoid them altogether, instead of the just disappear after a few thousand years.

• With the help of money you will be part of research projects with other players, where both of you graduate in the same thing so that it goes faster.

• Computer players will plan more long term, instead of just living in the moment.

I just clean up the translation a little bit (I am swedish). The source is said to be a leak from swedish PC Gamer that will on march 2 have information about Civ 5.

• Instead of the previous games quite anonymus realistic design will Civ 5 will move in a stylized Art Deco lines. This includes everything from menus to architectural design.

• The game engine is brand new and has nothing to do with the previous games.

• Now you can have only one unit per tile, instead of the earlier parts where you could stack some thirty war elephants in the same tile. This is true both in cities and on the ground. This is expected to make war more strategic and grand. It is not just about standing on a hill outside the opponent's capital.

• All distance units (catapults, archers, muskets, and everything in between) have the ability to attack something that stands a hexagon from them.

• Because of these changes will be things such as hills, forests and lakes of much greater importance than in the previous sections, where most were ornaments.

• To gain control of hexagons is much more difficult and more important than in earlier parts, which always had lots of unnecessary land. In Civ 5 you will take over a tile at a time, although this may be speeded up by investing money in the area.

• Hexagons that are in a more difficult location (type, in a forest or a mountain) will take much longer to conquer. A swamp area, for example, require that you own almost all hexagons around it before it can be conquered.

• State Governments will act as a diplomatic hotspots. For example, maybe there is one in an area you want, but it is sponsored by another player. You attack the city, he will probably be mad at you, but it can be an important resource in your civilization's survival.

• Barbarians will build on its own little town on the map that must be destroyed to make you avoid them altogether, instead of the just disappear after a few thousand years.

• With the help of money you will be able to team up with other playesrs for research projects, where both of you will research the same thing so that it goes faster.

• Computer players will plan more long term, instead of just living in the moment.

Seems that culture is more or less out, at least as a mechanic for expanding your territory. I like the babarian part, I hope that you will be able to kill off all babarians at some point of the game, so you dont have babarian longbowmen running around in the modern ages. It also seems like all tiles are "babarian" so that you have to conquer them instead of just claiming them, intresting

Thanks for the news!

• State Governments will act as a diplomatic hotspots. For example, maybe there is one in an area you want, but it is sponsored by another player. You attack the city, he will probably be mad at you, but it can be an important resource in your civilization's survival.

I dont understand this point.

• To gain control of hexagons is much more difficult and more important than in earlier parts, which always had lots of unnecessary land. In Civ 5 you will take over a tile at a time, although this may be speeded up by investing money in the area.

This is clearly the new information - it doesn't say no culture (culture may help gaining control of hexagons) but it does explain the jagged borders.

In fact if the control level has to be higher than some minimum threshold which depends on the terrain type this could explain all of the border patterns. This control could come from
  • culture
  • parking a military unit on a hex
  • paying cash
The interesting thing will be how the disputed hexes will work.

• Hexagons that are in a more difficult location (type, in a forest or a mountain) will take much longer to conquer. A swamp area, for example, require that you own almost all hexagons around it before it can be conquered.

This is quite interesting. It seems that claiming territory is going to be far more hands-on and even tactical, as opposed to just plopping down a city and growing culture or ICS-ing a bunch of cities. I wonder how many hexes a new city can work
when it is founded. Could it be only the base tile until you have a military unit go out and claim nearby land (possibly requiring you to claim hexes in an irregular pattern due to terrain-claiming restrictions like the swamp one above?)

I'd be delighted if culture as the factor that decides which hexes you control is gone. It seems to be implied that some completely new meachanism is in.

I can see the way of conquering tiles as become a nuisance in the later stages of the game...just the spies are crazy in the hands of the AI, "conquering" hexes could be very annoying when sharing borders with the AI...your tiles constantly being taken over by AI or something...such a thing will obviously be in the game as it would be pointless to be unable to "flip" a hex, but again, just like spies, I could see this becoming very annoying.

Thanks for the news!

I dont understand this point.

As far as I understand it, there is small one-city states that has their own diplomacy and land area. These can be made into something that is like a "vassal-light" that will give you some bonuses if you "control"/sponsor them. I guess that another civ could attack and take that city state without declaring war on the sponsoring civ but he would prob be mad for losing the bonuses.

There is more info about city states in some other posts in the forum

I can see the way of conquering tiles as become a nuisance in the later stages of the game...just the spies are crazy in the hands of the AI, "conquering" hexes could be very annoying when sharing borders with the AI...your tiles constantly being taken over by AI or something...such a thing will obviously be in the game as it would be pointless to be unable to "flip" a hex, but again, just like spies, I could see this becoming very annoying.

I am sure there will be some means to handle this, maybe with a generic slider to invest money into hex-claiming or sg.

I hope the devs know what they are doing ;)

Top Bottom