The City States of Greece

ooc: That's a good point, and I appreciate the advice. Did you read the story?

It looks like some culture points were awarded to Joshua before his character came to life. If so, I thought I might take a stab at some similar maneuver.

Also, I am practicing my writing, and trying to develop a fun character. I am a noob to RP, but a steady participant in the CiV GOTM series, so I'm a bit over-eager here. Hopefully my story is entertaining to some of you, and not annoying anybody.

Haven't read it yet since I'm at work :) I'll read it this evening.
No shame in being eager. It's only a good trait around here ;)

I figured you goal was to get some culture points, that's way I suggested writing about some Athenian Citizen. (Mind you I have dips on a farmer who is toiling on Tambiens fields ;):p)

ooc: well at least we will know where he came from, presuming we find Krakatoah in this game.

• Updated list of actions to inclued prices.
  • Updated List of Skills to include more skills.
  • Added more information about the commerce and tile income of cities.
  • Revised the Process for calculating Standard of Living to better reflect the actual wealth of cities, and be more fair.
  • Revised the process for calculating Literacy Rate to better reflect the average Lit rate of cities, and be more fair.
All changes can be seen in the first post.

Tambien said:
dot80 said:
Ok, if all the players agree, we can change the system. No use playing with a system no one wants. But I reserve the right to reject any system I don't like. If you all decide you want to change the system create a thread for it in the SG and agree upon a plan and then submit it to me via PM.

We need to work on this!

I think that a conditional system would be best. IE, if the settler is built in a city then it is under the control of that city's leader. If it is gotten randomly (ruins, social policy, etc) then it comes under the control of a random person.
So yep, we need your agreement people! (AGREE!)

I agree too.

Sure, I support it :p

I will update as soon as I get any issues with player orders ironed out. And you are at 6 (Tambien, Jehoshua, Filli, Joank, Magnive, Sparthage)

That would be Tams job. Our Emminent Autocrat created the social group and is thus its moderator.

Jehoshua Earned 3 prestige for his story. Antonius Earned 4 prestige for his story. Nice work guys keep it up :)

When the people heard the news they rejoiced. For no less then five full years they would be reprieved the burden of a tax on the trade conducted in the provinces. (ooc: or land tax as Tambien called it) Prosperity once again returned to the land and the people hailed their Prinkipas as a savior of the people, throwing yet another festival in his honor. There was much talk around the city about the Japanese. They had heard talks of them among the nobles, but nothing much was known about these strange people, and rumors spread like wildfire. Some believed them to be cannibals, others savages, and still others believed they didn't exist at all!

-

I am officially introducing a new mechanic: Ethnic Groups. Ethinic groups are culture groups of people that have distinct customs/languages/ect. All those in a specific
Ethnic group will more often then not agree on major issues and have the same opinion about Players. Each new founded Greek City-State will also found a new Ethnic group. Along with the Greek ethnic groups, foreign nations will also have their own ethnic groups. Eventually, through immigration, new ethnic groups will arrive in cities who previously may not have had any. Ethnic groups will evolve naturally based on events in the game and player actions. At the bottom of Session Updates I will post "Known Cultures" which will have a description of all known ethnic groups.

Known Cultures:
Spoiler :
The Athenians
The Athenian people are said to be the blessed descendants of the Goddess of Wisdom, Athena. According to the ancient ledgends, Athena gave the people the name of Athens, and the symbol they still use, the Owl of Wisdom. The Athenean language is still ancient Greek, with a few new words thrown in. The Athenian religion is what is considered pagan, but Athena is still the major figure in the Athenian religion. The average city dweller makes an adaquate income, while spending most of his days working. Oral tradition is strong in Athens, and many stories are past from generation to generation over the campfire.. Athenian women, starting at the age of 10, are taught domestic chores they will be expected to preform for the rest of their lives. The food of Athens is the best in the known world, and it focuses on wheat and the fish that can be found in deeper waters. Athenian chefs have managed to find a variety of "spices," some even coming from the desert to the west of the city. One of the favorite dishes of the people is Palla, a cooked fish with desert cinnamon and much salt put on top. It is inexpensive and very good.

The Japanese
Little is known about this strange race of people. From recent observations, the vast majority of their population live in tiny shacks near the rivers edge, and the ocean. They speak a strange and fast language, unintelligible by the warriors. All contact with them has only been at a distance, with neither side stepping forward to initiate a first meeting.

I thank the wise king Tambien for allowing me entry into your hallowed halls of discussion.

And I thank the diety dot80 for the culture points.... er, assuming that by "Antonius", he meant "Aaronius". :woohoo:

As far as the proposal goes, I preferred the original rules. The way this game is structured, the players that get in early have many advantages. Giving existing characters control over settlers just increases the advantage that much more. It looks like the motion has been passed already though, so I will just argue with myself..:hammer2:

I agree with Aaronius: the entire purpose of the city states is to avoid having the first players control everything, like in other forum games, so I think the random people getting settlers makes more sense. It also makes sense historically because oftentimes dissenting groups are the ones who get to leave.

I thank the wise king Tambien for allowing me entry into your hallowed halls of discussion.

And I thank the diety dot80 for the culture points.... er, assuming that by "Antonius", he meant "Aaronius". :woohoo:

As far as the proposal goes, I preferred the original rules. The way this game is structured, the players that get in early have many advantages. Giving existing characters control over settlers just increases the advantage that much more. It looks like the motion has been passed already though, so I will just argue with myself..:hammer2:

Sorry about that. For some reason I always read and write it Antonius...

The motion has not yet passed. We have 6 for (Magnive, Filli, Tambien, Sparthage, JoanK, and Jehoshua) and 2 against (Swimandciv and Aaronius). Against needs 2 more votes to overturn the notion, and for needs 2 more votes to pass the motion.

Top Bottom