Civilization 5 Rants Thread

Not to derail on the subject on how Civ4 is much better than Civ5 (in almost every way), but let me repeat my rant about upgrading units: Why do I have to spend 80% of my money to upgrade one unit? No seriously. Trebuchets to Cannons costing 800 gold a peice? When I only have like 1,200 in the bank? That's some bull. :mad:

Not to derail on the subject on how Civ4 is much better than Civ5 (in almost every way), but let me repeat my rant about upgrading units: Why do I have to spend 80% of my money to upgrade one unit? No seriously. Trebuchets to Cannons costing 800 gold a peice? When I only have like 1,200 in the bank? That's some bull. :mad:

I don't know how the developers overlooked this.

Seems tempting to upgrade your units from the Medieval Age to the Renaissance Age without too much trouble, but 800 G is ridiculous.

In Civ IV that will be like changing your Warrior into a Mechanized Infantry. And... you don't need to pay 800G to upgrade it to that level either.

===

This picture basically kills it for me.

People always complain about the giant death robot being too science-fictional, yet CIV IV had the space elevator...

People always complain about the giant death robot being too science-fictional, yet CIV IV had the space elevator...

And I suppose that the Space Race victory, which was a stable of the series since the beginning leading up to Civ IV, had your explorers reach Alpha Centuari. That of course, is science-fictional too, but it was included in the games, and as far as I'm concerned, nobody complained about it.

You have to be stubborn to not realize that the Giant Death Robot was purely a gimmick made to appeal to war-mongers. It's basically the one unit to end all your troubles, unless your rivals happen to have Giant Death Robots as well.

I mean seriously, having almost twice the power of Modern Armor? There was no other unit in prior Civilizations that had such an overwhelming high strength level. If it was put into a mod I would have no problem with it. But since the developers decided to put it into the initial game, I can't help but think that it was made to appeal to a new, younger audience. That audience being those who have not played prior civilizations and spend most of their time chatting away on Facebook.

You have to be stubborn to not realize that the Giant Death Robot was purely a gimmick made to appeal to war-mongers. It's basically the one unit to end all your troubles, unless your rivals happen to have Giant Death Robots as well.

Just for clarifications : The GDR is not overpowered. Stealth bombers beeline and nukes are. They do far more damage and come earlier. You know that you can kill a GDR with 10 archers hmm?

At some limit, we can include artillery too.

I got carried away there. But still, having the Giant Death Robot in there in the first place is just asinine. It's ridiculous, it's stupid, and it shouldn't of been included in the game.

As for Nukes, there is no proper counter for them. Bomb Shelters and SDI, where are they?

===

I got carried away there. But still, having the Giant Death Robot in there in the first place is just asinine. It's ridiculous, it's stupid, and it shouldn't of been included in the game.

===

I hear this a lot, but if you still haven't won by the time you get GDR and expect it to save your game, you might need to re-evaluate your plans. That or actually play the game and experience the GDR for yourself.

The unit is a nice looking allusion to pop culture mechas that for its cost, is underpowered.

As with any Civ game since Civ3, bombardment units in the hands of the human player is what is overpowered or in your words 'asinine'.

As for Nukes, there is no proper counter for them. Bomb Shelters and SDI, where are they?

Nukes are avoidable though. You see the AI move their atomic bomb to their border city a turn before they use it. And generally you learn not to fortify important units in ground zero (city tiles) of border towns of a nuclear opponent. These are not difficult playstyle adjustments to make and 1up means the blast radius will only damage units away from the center title, except for GP and workers, they die in the radius, I lose on average 1 unit (this includes workers and great persons) from the nukes i've received in recent games, some of it due to dumb mistakes and most of the time, nothing important is killed. The only truly damaging nukes are the IBCMswith the greater range, no early warning and the ability to kill everything in its radius. But those come much later and are expensive to make.

As for SDI, maybe it will pop up as a national wonder, but that's a gameplay discussion to be had elsewhere, not in the rants thread. Bomb Shelters were reported to be one of the new buildings in the expansion, but that is likely meant to mitigate general bombard/bomber damage in the game.

The Ai's trade system is ridiculous. When I ask a luxery from them he demand a holy load of items and when I give them luxuries the give me way to little items

Just to clear up a couple of points of fact: actually, it was designed to be a shoutout to CFC, because the Giant Death Robot was a well known CFC meme. Thunderfall wasn't on the city list this time, so we got GDRs instead. Secondly, it isn't overpowered. A lot of people never build them, because using your uranium for nukes is just so much more worthwhile.

Just to clear up a couple of points of fact: actually, it was designed to be a shoutout to CFC, because the Giant Death Robot was a well known CFC meme. Thunderfall wasn't on the city list this time, so we got GDRs instead. Secondly, it isn't overpowered. A lot of people never build them, because using your uranium for nukes is just so much more worthwhile.

I guess it's part of the "big sloppy kiss", huh? To each their own... keep it. I would feel like a (fill in word that denotes a professional female body seller here) accepting such a kiss.

The GDR is a very childish addition... not even that. My kids loved the previous games without any nonsensical giant mechatron walking around. It adds nothing to the gameplay, nor the immersion, nothing... in fact, you just need to watch that little piece of video where the "genius" employee of Firaxis drolls talking about how "his" giant death crap went into the game to understand the "mentality" behind the "addition"...

I guess it's part of the "big sloppy kiss", huh? To each their own... keep it. I would feel like a (fill in word that denotes a professional female body seller here) accepting such a kiss.

The GDR is a very childish addition... not even that. My kids loved the previous games without any nonsensical giant mechatron walking around. It adds nothing to the gameplay, nor the immersion, nothing... in fact, you just need to watch that little piece of video where the "genius" employee of Firaxis drolls talking about how "his" giant death crap went into the game to understand the "mentality" behind the "addition"...

So don't build one. Simple.

I dont really have a problem with the GDR. If youre going for a domination win, they come so late in the game that you should have won already. If I reach that tech level, Im going for a science win anyway and the GDR just is irrelevant.

Plus, its actually quite hard to take a city with 1 GDR. You still need support units to bombard the city. Uranium seems so scarce; most of mine goes on power plants or a nuclear deterrent

This complaint can't be real. The fixation with the GDR is a bit amusing considering I don't even get to see it mos tof my games due to them being over before I research GDR.

It's not even a situation where they replaced a well liked late-game unit with the GDR. It's just an addition that fanservice aside, is at least an attempt to rationalize what a future tech unit might be vis-a-vis the modern era units. Civ has a long history of broken/useless late game units and GDR was a surprisingly muted addition and is certainly not broken and is only useless insofar as the devs intentionally placed it deep in the tech tree where you might only research it if you're going for a science victory or is paying a dominant game where you are many techs ahead of your rivals.

It's just an addition that fanservice aside, is at least an attempt to rationalize what a future tech unit might be vis-a-vis the modern era units.

This view of the future can't be real... do you have any slight idea of production, engineering, economy? I am not claiming a doctorate or anything, I am just calling your common sense. A gigantic piece of walking metal structure wandering around and trying to destroy tanks and infantry? Are you serious? That thing will never be a weapon, not in the future, not in another planet. It has feasibility ZERO, and you can conclude the same by just using your common sense. Therefore, it should not be in a civilization game.

It reminds me of the juggernauts that were renderend obsolete in a single day by some tiny little flying machines... yes, I am talking to you, Prince of Wales and Repulse, the GDR's of the 40's.

Anyways...

GDR has a penalty vs cities, just saying.

And why is osaka 33 strength when you have GDRs? Settler level?

I believe the screen was a pre-release PR shot probably from a test game and not from anyone's real game.

Aristos said:
This view of the future can't be real... do you have any slight idea of production, engineering, economy?

I'm not following. A lot of things in Civ can't be real, it is only an approximation of the sweep of human history.

GDR is a reasonable, optional uber late-game future era unit. I'm just a little amused at all the fake outrage from multiple posters no less, who can't even be bothered to source in-game images (from their own games) of the GDR or seem to know much about the unit's mediocre performance specs. It's almost like they haven't played the game .

To me, they ought to be paying the consumer for Civ5. With those ridiculous unit icons above them are horrendous, just plain yuck! IMPO

Why doesn't Firaxis, give the rights to the .exe(engine), we at C2C will re-do it completely, if they did, we'd out do the Civ5 engine. This is just my option no offense to anyone or any business place. We have even teachers now that want to use it for school references in classes.

Moderator Action: Moved to the rants thread.

I never said that Civilization reflected reality in any sense of the word.

I think the Giant Death Robot, whether people think it's underpowered or not, was thrown in at the last minute to appease those who prefer conducting DOW's. I'm not trying to compare to Stealth Bombers or Nukes of Mass Destruction.

Read the Civilopedia description for Giant Death Robot. Sure it's trying to be humorous (a bad attempt at doing so), but was it very logical to put it in the game in the first place?

Just wanted to clear this up, among other things, since I feel that Civilization V was a rushed attempt to gain quick profits. It is not a proper representation of prior Civilizations. It feels like a console game.
===

I think the colonisation of the new world scenario is really badly designed. I just had Incas attacking me with conquistadors! They should have put more thought into the level of technologies the new world civs were at when the europeans arrived. In reality Spain conquered the entire inca civilization with a few hundred soldiers against thousands of natives. Yet i see my musketeers being beaten by natives who inexplicably have medieval pikemen.

There should be some rule about units which have guns are unable to be beaten by sword units. I know its mathematically possible in the game combat mechanics, but there's someting about seeing riflemen being beaten by swordsmen which is just ridiculous. And tanks taking damage from archers.....

Top Bottom