JFD and Janboruta's Civilisations

Don't you test your mods?

I do, but it usually is just directly testing stuff with Firetuner or IGE.. I've only had some few full games after I started modding :crazyeye: (the last two being Israel and Bolivia because of other fun mods, like CulDiv, also released during their updates) Otherwise one doesn't truly finish things ever. Civ is a long game.

So JFD, a compatibility problem arises! Namely with LS's alternate Poland, which revises Casimir as well. I just used them together and the result was two Casimirs, both of which used LS's UA, but one had your uniques and the other had his.

I do not know what the solution is! Poke LS about it.

i really like your revised civs, i have used most of them and they make the vanilla civs more fun. And up until recently i used the revised civs without the base civs. I just added Hungary, Great Britain and Peter, but i'm not sure if i will ever add Hannibal and Hitler. They look great it's just that i'm not a fan of warmongering. :D

i really like your revised civs, i have used most of them and they make the vanilla civs more fun. And up until recently i used the revised civs without the base civs. I just added Hungary, Great Britain and Peter, but i'm not sure if i will ever add Hannibal and Hitler. They look great it's just that i'm not a fan of warmongering. :D

I am not a warmonger either, but they add flavor to the game as opponents!

Don't you test your mods?
Playtesting and actually playing our mods are two different things for modders. It's one thing to fire up a game to check and ensure that the code functions like its supposed to, and if it doesn't, to get the logs to spew out some errors.
But actually sit down a play a full, several-hour game with our mods? Forget it. You don't find many modders that have that kind of patience.
So JFD, a compatibility problem arises! Namely with LS's alternate Poland, which revises Casimir as well. I just used them together and the result was two Casimirs, both of which used LS's UA, but one had your uniques and the other had his.

Um... I wouldn't expect for two mods that instantiate the exact same civilization (at least as far as the XML is concerned; they would both be called CIVILIZATION_POLAND) would be compatible. Solution: don't play with both active at the same time.
(JFD gets around this issue for alternate leaders by naming the alternate leader civilization something like CIVILIZATION_JFD_POLAND, so it's not the exact same civilization as far as the XML (or SQL, actually) is concerned.)

Playtesting and actually playing our mods are two different things for modders. It's one thing to fire up a game to check and ensure that the code functions like its supposed to, and if it doesn't, to get the logs to spew out some errors.
But actually sit down a play a full, several-hour game with our mods? Forget it. You don't find many modders that have that kind of patience.

Now I feel all special! X3

Admittedly, I've never been able to figure out how to get FireTuner to work, so I can only really test functionality that I can do with IGE. But even so, I don't really trust my sense of game balance and the like to feel confident in publishing a mod without actually playing through a game with and against it.

Besides, it gives me something to do on those evenings when I'm worn out after work and want to just play a game instead of work on something... :p

JFD, are your revisions anywhere or did they magically disappear? Furthermore, on a scale of 14 to 21, how fazed would you be if I utterly unethically stole the code from Austria's revision because I liked the idea? :p (I mean, I could come up with something original, but where's the fun in that?)

I'm just concerned about where the revisions are at, not so much about the code theft going on.

Now I feel all special! X3
Besides, it gives me something to do on those evenings when I'm worn out after work and want to just play a game instead of work on something... :p
Yeah...mush-brain is really not conducive to good code or art-making.

It looks like Poland-Lithuania replaces Vilnius with Jelgava, but Lithuania replaces it with Dorpat. Will this just mean that whatever civ is enabled last will have their city-state replacement show?

Exactly.

Shouldn't Poland-Lithuania be under Alternate Leaders, like Denmark-Norway?

Yes, but oh well :p

Not sure of the solution either. Oh well.

JFD, are your revisions anywhere or did they magically disappear? Furthermore, on a scale of 14 to 21, how fazed would you be if I utterly unethically stole the code from Austria's revision because I liked the idea? :p (I mean, I could come up with something original, but where's the fun in that?)

They'll no longer be available as separate downloads. If you want the revisions, you'll have to get the civ that includes them. If you hate that civ, you'll have to use the Advanced Setup mod to disable them. If you hate a particular aspect of the revision, it can be disabled from within the mod. It's too much work keeping four versions of every civ that modifies a vanilla civ supported and up-to-date. It can be rather confusing, too :p That does mean that Bismark's and the Ottoman revisions - standalone revisions - are indefinitely unavailable. Anyone who liked it has got it, and the rest can wait for Arminius ;) Meanwhile, Elizabeth's new UA will be integrated into the Great Britain mod and can be freely disabled from within there. This will also resolve the issue I was having (maybe others, but had no reports) with duplicate Elizabeths with the revision pack enabled at the same time as GB.

The Austrian revision will be included in the HRE mod; there is no sense in stealing it. HRE is just taking it's time :p

Not sure of the solution either. Oh well.

Only thing I can think of is one of them setting up an identical leader with the unique UA, with the only problem being that you'd have two Casimirs in the pedia.

I have browsed through files.
My mod is disabling in-game Poland civ, however since Gyra saw both civs in game, it seems that loading queue is lucky and you actually make them Playable/AIPlayable again. Still you can make own clone-civ in case of future possible conflicts with other mods (Poland so popular). In addition, If you make own Cassimir/Ducal Stable/Winged Hussars then I think all interactions are gone (nice thing about compability is fact that one well-code mod is enough). I am gonna do it sooner or later in my mod.

Other than that, code with dummy Policy are gonna reduce cost of future Policies. It might be also possible (not sure) to adopt two policies at once and loose one bonus (human player only).

Lovely job, nice civ as always.

The dummy policy was tested reasonably thoroughly and it had no effect upon future costs (even though it should have, given my experience with the Anglo-Saxons). No complaints yet :p I'll change it if anyone reports any issues, of course.

While playing a game with Bohemia in it, I completely forgot about their UA and sent a Great Prophet into their territory to convert a CS on the other side for a quest. It turned into a Tabor. I considered reloading, but then I was like, "One of my nation's foremost holy men, for no reason at all, suddenly decided to defect to the enemy and transform into an armored war wagon! Screw reloading, this is actually pretty cool!"

The dummy policy was tested reasonably thoroughly and it had no effect upon future costs (even though it should have, given my experience with the Anglo-Saxons). No complaints yet :p I'll change it if anyone reports any issues, of course.

Okay, two things:
All your civs with a great general replacement aren't working for me(they seem to have only the other unique)
2. Is the new Pius is a Cyborg?

While playing a game with Bohemia in it, I completely forgot about their UA and sent a Great Prophet into their territory to convert a CS on the other side for a quest. It turned into a Tabor. I considered reloading, but then I was like, "One of my nation's foremost holy men, for no reason at all, suddenly decided to defect to the enemy and transform into an armored war wagon! Screw reloading, this is actually pretty cool!"

I worry the AI will just fail to understand Bohemia's UA and they'll end up with dozens of Tabors.

":c5goldenage: Golden Age progress is impeded by 33% less :c5angry: unhappiness."

I don't understand what this does, could someone who have played the Anglo-Saxons explain? :)

Top Bottom