Pesistent Installation Issues

Khirron

Chieftain
First off, I have read the Installation Guide, and still am experiencing problems.
The BtS installer places the game under C:\Users\CIT Admin\Documents\My Games for me, and I've read that the files being located there cause issues. This is true for me also, causes a GFC Error: fails to initialize the primary control theme error prompt.
So, I've tried to relocate the files to C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword, but BtS still looks for the files in the \Documents\My Games folder. Whenever I attempt to run the program the following occurs:

Whenver the Mod is placed under \My Games, it doesn't run, and when its on the C:\ drive, it BtS doesn't load anything from there, but changes the folder destination to the original \my games. If there is any other information needed, I'll do my best to supply it.
Thanks.

Well, if you mean to say that you installed BtS initially in this CITAdmin area, then you just clicked the folder and moved it over to the standard location, then that is half of the problem.

In order to move your files you need to have the registry updated to reflect the changes. So the best way to move them to the "normal" location is to uninstall the program, then re-install it in the standard location.

Now, if you do have it installed in the proper location (and marked in the registry) you will still see some files related to Civ cropping up in the My Games folder. These are mainly temporary settings and savefiles. Some mods for standard Civ use the Custom Assets folder as well, which is in this location. However, for FfH really the only important thing over there is your cache (during game) and your savefiles/logs.

So I'd say go ahead and uninstall completely (remove all versions of Civ 4), then re-install and this time force it to install the files in the "standard" location as listed in the Installation guide, just so there are minimal issues in the future.

Okay. I've unistalled, but during the installation proccess, I dont believe I ever have a time to specify a installation path. The first screen is a "You are about to install BtS", The second is the "I accept/ I dont accept page", the third asks about Comrade and the Firaxis game letter, and the 4th starts the download. When or where can I choose where to download to the C disk?

Well now that is just messed up. I just assumed that it would let you decide where to install it since everything you put on your computer usually does :( If you cannot choose a new location then I appologize for making you uninstall everything, but just let it install where it wants to (like you have a choice...).

So you'll want to leave all of the files where they are at then, since anything which checks the registry will think that it is in that location.

Now, as I said, no matter where the game is actually installed, it will always wind up creating a couple of folders in the "My Games" area. So let us just HOPE that maybe what you were seeing there wasn't the actual game, but just all of the extra junk that it creates. (It could be that you are installed in yet a third location which we haven't spotted yet)

Do a search for Civ4BeyondSword.exe. There ought to only be 1 on your computer and it shows the path you want to install the mod to. Whereever that file is located there will also be a folder called Mods, and it is inside of this folder that you want to install Fall from Heaven. You'll also likely want to write down what the path was just in case you need it in the future.

I ran the search and found the .exe file under C:\Users\CIT Admin\AppData\Roaming\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword folder. I have successfully downloaded and loaded the mod. I'm still having trouble starting a game, but I assume I just made a silly error dowloading all the neccessary files or something of that nature.
Thanks.

Top Bottom