King's Court II - Mongolia

CrossedXP

Chieftain
So, I've been a lurker on this forum for a long time. The threads I remember most fondly were the sample game threads - the ALC, Noble's Club, King of the World types of threads.

To start contributing to the community, I decided to make a sample game series of my own - King's Court! It's a King to Emperor level sample game series with starts that are specifically picked to be interesting. (so no isolated Shaka or Gandhi right next to Attila)

The settings for the game are below:

And here's the starting location:

I've already played through the game, so it'll be interesting to see how everyone else progresses through it. Cheers :king:

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    878.3 KB · Views: 42
I'm not really pleased with the huge map and Epic speed, this combination will create a huge overhead in time between turns, and since epic speed means a lot more turns I estimate a pretty long game (in hours spent playing). I think you should stick with Standard size, and Standard speed, I estimate that more players would join.

Nevertheless if players join in, I shall give it a try since Mongolia are one of my favorite civs.

I've never tried a huge map- my underpowered computer shudders- but I want to give this a try. 3 day weekend coming up.

To begin- it looks best to settle on that ivory one time northeast. That you you can build an observatory, can keep all visible resources, and can still settle on turn one.

Where do you see a mountain? Based on the 1 food/1 hammer yield, the tile that is 2 tiles NE (1 tile NE of the ivory) looks like a forest-covered hill to me (although I never use, and therefore can't confidently interpret, strategic view, so I may be wrong).

I'm not really pleased with the huge map and Epic speed, this combination will create a huge overhead in time between turns, and since epic speed means a lot more turns I estimate a pretty long game (in hours spent playing). I think you should stick with Standard size, and Standard speed, I estimate that more players would join.

Whenever a Huge map is used, epic speed is really needed due to the distance of the map.

Now for my poor computer with only 4 GB RAM, huge is too big for it to handle without unacceptable lag in late game. Standard size on standard speed was my normal setting. Even then with BNW starting in the Atomic Era I have to keep it in strategic mode.

Whenever a Huge map is used, epic speed is really needed due to the distance of the map.

This makes sense, but still huge = a bigger time to wait between turns and epic = more turns in total, so it really adds up.

I started this game, and I can say Fractal is my least favorite map :)). Due to a combination of randomness of map and my own stupidity,
Spoiler :
I did not realize I haven't met the 12th civ until I already had 11 capitals. Thus began a 15 turn extensive search for them. Turns out the 12th civ was
Spoiler :
in a remote island in the corner of the map.
It was a real bummer since at one time I had my initial army in that area but did not scout further, thinking I already met everyone, so this will probably add 20 turns to the finish time.

I will post some screenshots when I'll finish the game.

Nevertheless if players join in, I shall give it a try since Mongolia are one of my favorite civs.

Most of my planned games for this are on more standardized settings, but with mid-game conquest civs I generally don't have enough time to get rolling. Maybe that's just me.

I did the final stretch and finished the map at turn T258. I don't know how this fares in efficiency, since I never played a huge map, nor at epic speed, but I played this map just for fun, to take a little break from the DCL series.

Spoiler :
I started liberty left side, the started honor (it was stupid because culture from barbs didn't really help), finished liberty for a GS plant, and then honor left side and Commerce left side (I got Entrepreneurship for the +1 movement while embarked).

The build order was Scout, Scout, Worker, Settler. I got my free settler just about when I finished my own. I settled Uluru, and some horses. I did not really like the city spots because they were weak on food and on happiness, but I did wanted horses, and Uluru was pretty nice, getting me +1 food from camps, +1 happiness for each 2 cities, Pagodas, and when Enhanced +1 food from shrines and temples, and I also got Itinerant Preachers to passively spread my religion to other cities for some happiness. Once I had my army I started building some infrastructure, beyond the Monuments and Granaries: Markets, Workshops, and eventually I added Shrines and Temples. Science wise it was nothing special, got The Wheel pretty soon, followed by a Philosophy beeline and then Chivalry. After that it didn't matter, but I did go for Workshops and then Education just for boredom. One AI beat me to renaissance though, but it didn't really matter because it had met it's doom soon after.

I underestimated the Emperor AI and lost the race for Pyramids with just 6 turns left so that delayed me a little. I managed to get Oracle right after NC, and that helped finishing liberty.

After The Wheel I started building a 6-7 Chariot Archer army accompanied by 3 warriors and marched West. Poland fell fast, and I left them with a single city. Egypt was a piece of cake, Venice was a little bit harder because of the rough terrain, and then I checked the Victory screen to see there are any civs that I haven't met (because I was too lazy to count them), I saw there was one and I found Indonesia soon after. I got an embassy to see the cap, and managed to get it with Chariot Archers (the rough terrain delayed me but waiting for chivalry would have delayed more). Then I got peace and left. I didn't realize that I had not met India until much much later.

While getting my army back, I got Chivalry and started building a second army of Keshiks. I upgraded most of my original Chariot Archers, some already had logistics, but since I was in negative GPT I had to wait to get cities/bully CSs for money. Bulling city states was basically my primary money source, I was in -50GPT but 2000 gold in treasury most of the time.

Spain fell fast, I actually whipped them out. America went surprisingly fast, it's pretty cool that a Kheskik can enter a jungle hill, fire at a city completely surrounded by jungle and then retreat to safety. And you can use 2 of them on the same hill. The rough terrain did not delay one bit. I split my army, my most experienced Keshiks south, the rest east, so I attacked Carthage and Assyria at the same time. And then once again joined for Sweden (they had great wall but that was proven ineffective against mongols :)) and Morocco.

Then after realizing I didn't win, I noticed a big part of the map unexplored in the SW so I headed in that direction. DoWed Indonesia again to push south and then went in the water, I also switched to astronomy ASAP and got Caravels to explore the sea. Eventually I found India and 8 turns later got the capital.

Attachments

• 2015-09-03_00001.jpg
    2015-09-03_00001.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 60
  • 2015-09-03_00003.jpg
    2015-09-03_00003.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 2015-09-03_00005.jpg
    2015-09-03_00005.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 82
well if we scale it down rigidly then 258: 1.5 ~ 172 on Standard which is pretty good

Top Bottom