Favorite Unique Unit?

the Cossack is my favorite, you can get a 68% damage bonus against wounded units [with charge] which is easy to get, and they make such Murderous Tanks later with Autocracy, you cant stop them.
my second favorite would have to be the Danish Berzerker all that pillaging, and since they are Longswordsmen that come at metal casting no one can stop you, except Korea of they get to H'wachas.

and Caroleans because the Deathless armies of the Swedish Necrons are awesome.

<Impi>

The upgrade path is great and it cost less to field them. They clear out enemy units and absorb city bombardment while I position my ranged units. The upgrades come almost as fast as most other civs with Military tradition. Honor is not required for fast upgrades and the special Ikanda barracks promotions go beyond honor's discipline policy. Three movement for all mele for example. The two city/liberty/composite/spearman rush just snowballs at civil service when the spearman upgrade to Impi that level up even faster due to the Impi double attack. Civil service is also in the education path if the resultant beast rifles or infantry/artillery are needed.

The thing about a well upgraded army is you need less units, therefore splitting an already (50% cheaper mele)/range army into two fronts for an early domination victory is easier because it is far cheaper.

<Impi />

This is really fun thread to read, and shows how well the developers did to have UUs in this game. They add so much fun and character to BNW. Especially with Military CS having the ability to gift you some!

I love incorporating UUs into a game, particularly with a CS Ally. I recently got a Kris Swordsman ally, thought "who cares", but like a good solider I sent it on a barb killing quest to a camp a long way away, spun the roulette wheel and get "Heroism." Ha, suddenly I had a GG melee unit :). That was fun.

Gold star to the developers for the UU concept, and I hope it stays for Civ6.

Man, it's been a while since I've been on this forum...

but to be honest my fav UU is still the Impi, even if I'm not very successful with them. Mmmmm buffalo.

The more I think about it, the more the UUs with weird abilities stick out as the most memorable. The Pathfinder makes my soul happy, particularly on large maps, and Venice with MOVs allows for a much larger empire than you might think.... On high difficulties you can send a MOV to a CS with a large modern military and suddenly have a force to be reckoned with :).

The Medieval ranged UUs really are like lawnmowers, particularly if they combine with another. I recently had a China game where I received some Keshiks from my CS BFF. An army of Cho-Kus with a few Keshiks in support is positively diabolical...

And the AI, particularly if you use a mod that allows them to move and shoot, actually can do some damage with them, too. An England packed with move-and-shoot Longbowmen is quite tricky until you come at her with Artillery.

Gold star to the developers for the UU concept, and I hope it stays for Civ6.

Agreed, one hope of mine for the next Civ is having one unique military unit and one unique economic unit. Maybe like a Double Agent for England, or a massive freight ship for America. You know, I think they could get real creative with a secondary UU.

This is really hard...

I really enjoy both of America's units. The Minutemen are underrated IMO, because a barracks and armory can give them +50% siege coming out the door, making them the 2nd earliest melee unit with that promotion in the game (earliest is Japanese Samurai).

The B-17 is awesome too, that goes without saying.

Ship of the Line and English Longbow are also good candidates.

Sorry I couldn't narrow it down to one UU lol, I really suck at following instructions. :dunno:

The Janissary is a great unit, but doesn't get enough love. Seriously, it's almost immortal unless it's attacked by lots of units at the same time. The 25% attack bonus is also pretty good. The Ottomans are a civ I don't like much, so I just use JFD's Turks when I want to play with them (their other uniques add to the fun as well).

This is really hard...

I really enjoy both of America's units. The Minutemen are underrated IMO, because a barracks and armory can give them +50% siege coming out the door, making them the 2nd earliest melee unit with that promotion in the game (earliest is Japanese Samurai).

The B-17 is awesome too, that goes without saying.

Ship of the Line and English Longbow are also good candidates.

Sorry I couldn't narrow it down to one UU lol, I really suck at following instructions. :dunno:
well your favorite UU should be the UU you had the most, not nessacerly the a really strong UU, like the Hoplite not the Best UU, but lets say you destroyed a small pangaea on epic speed using only Hoplites Companion cav and catapults, atleast thats how i made my decision hope it narrows down the list:)

well your favorite UU should be the UU you had the most, not nessacerly the a really strong UU, like the Hoplite not the Best UU, but lets say you destroyed a small pangaea on epic speed using only Hoplites Companion cav and catapults, atleast thats how i made my decision hope it narrows down the list:)

Well those aren't necessarily the UU's I think are the strongest (although they are strong) but there are other reasons I like them too.

Obviously I thinks Camels and Keshiks are among the best/strongest but I didn't name those because they're not my favorite.

The UU I've probably used the most is the Bowman, since I've played Babylon more than any other civ. And while I really like the Bowman, I can probably say that it is not my favorite UU.

Maori could be my favorite since you can upgrade them with fear promotion. If you could get them to survive to future melee and keep fear, that could be a favorite unit.

Camel Archers/Keshiks FTW! The ability to hit AND move makes them a versatile unit in both siege and skirmishes against your opponents! Heck, you're better off not building siege units as either Mongolia or Arabia until the Modern Age since siege units are more vulnerable to city bombardment. Not only that, but the fact that both the CA/Keshik has no penalty attacking cities and you got yourself one army of killing machines; and that's before they even get to logistics!

Pathfinder is a fun one. My favorite would have to be the battering ram. I like early war. But there are many interesting units (Inca slinger with their unique ability, Kris swordsmen with weird RPG flavor, ad Turtle Ships with sheer strength and Koreanness) which I also find compelling. :D

Keshik and Camel Archers are both crazy powerful but dependent on having horses. Longbowmen I can train as many as I want and that +1 range at renaissance era is just so sweet and just in time for me to start my war mongering ways.

I adore english UUs. But between them, Ship of the line. That is an ultimate force at sea and coast. Two ships were basically enough to bomb a city into a submission. While i had one with two land unit promotions and he completely destroyed riflemen.

I made my choice on what makes me survive best on Deity that has good long term upgradeable promotions. For years it was the Jaguar, as setting these bad boys up in defensive chokepoints, they can survive where others may die. Then I played Indonesia, now my favorite is the Kris Swordsman. Which has a random mod that can be like the Jaguars healing ability called recruitment. Lots of other good mods possible. I like the invulnerability the best for those defensive spots now. And yes these unique mods are upgradable, so pump out as many kris as you can while you have the ability to.

1- Sipahis: They are by far the most useful unit, in my opinion.
2- Pathfinder: I love them and they're super useful.
3- Keshiks: Have a few of them and a melee cav then storm the entire map.
Following would be Chu ko nu, Janissaries and Legion.

Bonus: Horse Archer + Battering Ram. I think this is the deadliest combo in entire game.

The Khan. I win Immortal and Deity by XP-milking, and Khans and XP-milking feed off of each other like nobody's business.

Top Bottom