Crusader Kings 2

Another dev diary, nothing really much at all save for the picture at the end that says "hereditary aristocratic kingdom". They've really been stretching out these dev diaries, so I'm wondering when they're actually gonna reveal something.

Link: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dd8-trade-offs.891619/

Hi Everyone!

So we decided to reveal some of the patch material last week and I think we can do that every other week from now on (until announcement obviously, after that you’ll get info on features every week up until release).

This week I’d like to ask your opinion on something related to design instead. As you know, we sometimes want to add soft barriers to our games. The demesne limit is one such barrier, ie you can hold more counties than it, but they’ll be less efficient so it’s often suboptimal to do so. I think this is a pretty ok way of letting players play the game like they want to, while telling you that the intention is to not go past this line (or not far past it at least). For you who played Sengoku, you might remember vassals asking for titles and getting angry if you didn’t hand them out which was a quick solution to a similar problem. In the Sengoku case, players who didn’t follow the rules usually got irritated by the constant spam of vassals asking for titles (and if you were way past the limit, you’d get it all the time). The solution was obviously not a good one. What I personally prefer when possible, is to give the player’s that follow the rules some kind of bonus instead.

So the question I’d like to ask you is:

What kind of bonus would you like to see as a trade off for limiting yourself in the game? The limit could be anything here, demesne limit is already taken care of so think of other stuff.

Related to that question:
If you could add optional limits that would give you bonuses, what type of limits would you like to see?
This could be anything from having all your titles and vassals as within the dejure of your primary title, or always making sure to be married to a daughter of the Byzantine emperor.

dd8.jpg

A small spoiler from an interface Work-In-Progress.

They've already said that there won't be a Christmas DLC, so either they say nothing at all for weeks on end or they post little dribs and drabs.

So what's a fun horde to play? Also when. I have yet to lord over any horses.

So what's a fun horde to play? Also when. I have yet to lord over any horses.
I've tried some nomads but I've found their gameplay style too aggressive and not to my taste. I've been told however that the Bolghars at the 769 and 867 start offer easy targets against the various Slavic and Finnic Pagans in Russia. Khazaria is also always there as the Jewish option in 867. Then there's always the Khitan....

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

I really don't like starting as a large realm. Half the fun for me is climbing to the top. Actually, no, pretty much all the fun is climbing.

Still, the eastern khans all either seem way too strong or way too weak for me.

Yeah problem with the nomads is that they're not particularly balanced in many respects. The Bolghars I mentioned are one of the few middle-sized groups. At the 769 and 867 there are more weaker groups in Central Asia, if you move fast you might be able to beat some of them before the big guys swoop in.

It's 870 A.D. and I'm an aggressive homosexual Moravian Scholar Warrior King of the Three Kingdoms - Croatia, Poland, and Pannonia.

We call this place... Greater Poland for some reason.

Spoiler :

edit: I just checked and I have a friggin female concubine and have sex with her all the time - even got her pregnant. I think this whole "homosexual" thing is for show.

GAHHHHH!

What in the world is that vile and evil creature? Quick, Francia, start holying warring it. This filthy blight on the land must be burned.

I like how you didn't know you were having sex with a lady.

It's 15 years later and I'm 61 now. I have had 6 kids throughout my life, by 4 different women, 2 of them concubines. Unfortunately both of my sons are dead, as is one of my daughters. Three daughters survive.

It surprised me that I was homosexual when I finally went through my traits and noticed that, but it did not register with me that I had concubines and have had kids with them until later.

Anyway, they now call me King Jaroslav Ironside. For the past 15 years I have been trying to clean up the blob and consolidate parts of my three kingdom "empire" (not officially empire yet) in the north. The Polish parts of the kingdom rebel more often than the rest and I lost swiss-cheese chunks of that part of the country during the reign of the last King.. I think. Anyway, you see what I mean in the image above. I started this game back in August, when I got back from my Norway hiking trip and loaded up steam for the first time. When I lost all those Polish territories I stopped playing, but last night loaded up the game again and noticed that I was a flaming homosexual and in not such a bad shape country-wise. Forgot most other things about the game otherwise, so it feels "fresh" again and I'm into it. Not sure if that happens to you guys, but I distinctly remember thinking that this save was no longer worth playing. But then I came back and now it's amazing

I always send my King as the main leader of the army, and there are conquest wars all the time now. So many little kingdoms sprinkled throughout the northern and eastern parts of my empire, I just declare war on one after the other and gobble them up. Somehow I still haven't died and now I'm a feared & fabulous warrior. (at least in my mind)

Francia might very well have beef with me soon, I have been eyeing Bohemia and Bavaria as next states to try to dismantle. They should have a problem with that in some capacity, but it seems that my heir is the one who is going to have to deal with that. I mostly want Bohemia in my empire because this dynasty is Moravian. The game initially started as me playing as an early Polish dynasty.. but then the game went to hell and I ended up taking over as Greater Poland (instead of Poland), which by that point in time was basically just Croatia and parts of where Hungary is now. I can't remember how I have the Greater Poland crown but I do.

I doubt I can keep this whole kingdom together until I can export to EUIV (I have never done this so hopefully it's possible) but it's definitely been fun

I formed the Kingdom of England in my game from an OPM and now have to deal with a revolt league succession war with every new ruler. Currently I have most of the high nobility of the kingdom colonizing my dungeon due to said revolts and I'm not sure how best to avoid this in the future.

You can revoke titles from traitors, usually only one and the guy in the dungeon will hate you for it but it won't carry any other penalties. I usually revoke duchies, then grant them to loyal, content counts. I also keep the traitors locked up forever.

Net effect is you switch the duke to someone with a huge relationship bonus to you: +50 from content and I think it's +60 for granting duchy. Any of the traitor's children will have to fight your new duke and take control of the duchy before giving you more problems.

I also make copious use of the decisions to invite people to court to find the content and loyal people who will become my new dukes.

You can revoke titles from traitors, usually only one and the guy in the dungeon will hate you for it but it won't carry any other penalties. I usually revoke duchies, then grant them to loyal, content counts. I also keep the traitors locked up forever.

Net effect is you switch the duke to someone with a huge relationship bonus to you: +50 from content and I think it's +60 for granting duchy. Any of the traitor's children will have to fight your new duke and take control of the duchy before giving you more problems.

I also make copious use of the decisions to invite people to court to find the content and loyal people who will become my new dukes.

If the duke only has one county (and no barony) revoking the county will also revoke the duchy
it can be useful

If the duke only has one county (and no barony) revoking the county will also revoke the duchy
it can be useful

You're not allowed to revoke his last county without revoking his duchy first? I can't remember, but if you manage to revoke his last county, the duchy is automatically destroyed.

You're not allowed to revoke his last county without revoking his duchy first? I can't remember, but if you manage to revoke his last county, the duchy is automatically destroyed.

I have 100 % revoked many dukes's last county and them ending up unlanded. If you can't do this any more it is a very recent change (I doubt it has been changed though)

wether the duchy is revoked (given to you) or destroyed, I don't fully remember.
the muslim kalifate (which is a duchy-title) does get destroyed in this case, I revoked the abbasid's last holding as the seljuk once. not sure about the regular case

I really like how Paradox has done lots of things to penalize players for not having enough vassals but absolutely nothing to make the game more fun when follow the rules.

I'm considering getting CK2 and am wondering which expansions are recommended as several of the most recent expansions don't appear to be included in the DLC bundle. Every sale I consider getting CK2 and then put off by the sheer amount of DLC as I can't decide what to get. I'm not totally against the idea of getting unit, portrait packs but would ideally avoid buying the music packs that I would never ever use. The other factor that puts me off is that I might end up just playing EU4 instead.

Unless you like ahistoric Aztec invasions from the West, don't get that DLC. I usually play on mute with the news or something else in the background, so I heartily second avoiding the music packs. I would emphasize the portrait packs over the unit packs because I rarely notice the units on the field but when I click on a county or whatever I always see the faces.

Top Bottom