Brutal Honesty Needed: Guild Wars 2

I've found the same to be true with my engineer. At first I thought it was just me who was using a weak build since I started out trying to maximise survivability by taking pistol and shield. However it took ages to kill single mobs and the gain in survivability was negligible since, more often than not, getting out of combat quickly is the better option.

Then I switched to a rifle build and straight away got confused. Using a rifle is meant to be a ranged weapon and so therefore should have you fighting at range. Yet an engineer only has 3 damaging attacks with a rifle and two of them require being very close to then enemy. So you have a ranged build that isn't ranged and does less DPS than a warrior using a rifle.

Ok I'll try a weapon kit instead. The only build I've found to be viable is a very cheesy flamethrower debuff setup. But even then I do less damage and have less survivability than a thief or ranger who plough through most mobs whilst I'm busy wondering why, as an engineer, all my engineering skills are worthless.

Damn, that blows. The Engineer was the next build that I was going to try. Well, thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll go with my Necromancer instead as my 3rd one. She's graduated from a glorified bank slot now.

Okay, I totally call BS on everyone who claimed to have no idea what I'm talking about with the screwed up crafting... wanna know why?

I rolled 5 professions now and every time I out leveled the beginning crafting zone so fast that you 're forced to arbitrarily loiter around these zones just to accommodate crafting.

Latest example- rolled a thief this weekend and was level 14 half way through one day. At this point I only had mats to get to level 12 in tailoring, but would never see a piece of jute (in any form, scrap or otherwise) drop again the entire game unless I hung around in the low level zone for around 200X the time it took for me to out level it in the first place. THIS is BS and shows perfectly how out of balance crafting is.

Every character I have is the same problem.. none of them have progressed past the first level materials (jute, copper, ect) because its impossible to get even close to the 150-175lvl crafting to be able to start using the next level of mats.

Anyone claiming to have no issue with this is a bold face liar... otherwise explain how its possible to get enough mats in this game to level crafting in line with profession level? Because what I see is that about 200/1.... for every level your toon gets equals enough mats to gain a couple crafting levels.

Jute is the one of the more problematic ones, but never to the level of loitering and frustration you seem to be experiencing. I have no idea what you're doing. Maybe it's because you are leveling many professions at the same time? I ran into problems when I was trying to do too many professions at once because they share some base mats.

Other than that, I don't know. Had a lot less mat grinding to do than in any other MMORPG. You can keep not believing me (us) and calling us bold face liars. That's bound to make me want to participate in this discussion more right.

Sorry, you're right, I shouldn't have called anyone anything. I'm just frustrated and don't see how this is possible.

If anything, mats sharing among toons should increase efficiency. For example, out of my 5 toons, I only have one with cooking... i have 3 level 80 toons and even still, the one cooker hasn't progressed to the half way point of cooking... this just highlights how out of whack it is.

So, and this is the same for all crafts I see, one must spend the time it would take to level 20 toons to 80 all just by grinding for low level mats just to get past 150 in their craft.

So people like you who said you had no issue with this, so you never bought a crap load of mats from the AH? Because this is the only way I see it is possible. Or do you just get 200x the drops that other people get? Name calling WAS out of line, but I still don't believe you.

Sometimes it would happen that I would run out of a certain mat, like jute, just before I'd hit the level where I would use the next level of mat. It's actually annoying, I always seemed to run out of certain mats at crucial levels, like 49, 74, 99, 124, 149. ARGH. So there there are a few times I did indeed go and buy just a bit more mats to complete my level and step up to the next level of materials. But these were very small quantities, I never bought bulk quantities.

Like I said a month or so ago, most of your crafting XP comes from discoveries by making recipes you never did before. Basically, if you make the same exact item twice, you're pretty much doing it wrong. You level up like 10 times faster by constantly making new items.

I'm not sure how to prove that I'm not lying and frankly it seems like a waste of time. I could get a screenshot of my level 45-50 warrior in appropriate level armor that I made with something like 200 armorsmith if I remember well, but then I could be accused of making it with another char or I don't know what, or buying the mats somehow. I had zero trouble getting there and I don't think I'm particularly lucky.

Or people don’t realize how much they are actually buying over time.

If it was one toon and one profession I wouldn’t argue. But my example above is exactly how all my toons leveled. No matter the profession and craft, they out leveled the entry level area leaving their crafting level around 10-15. If I continue on to higher area’s to play the game normally and you would never go any further with the crafting without hanging around those areas and spend the time it would take to get to 80 on around 10 other toons.

Discoveries are hampered by the exact same issue… level limitation. My one chef is the best possible example since he’s getting mats from all 5 toons. After much lower level mat gathering (repeat low level mat farming) I finally got past the first limitation hurdle just to get stuck on the next one even after the bank was stuffed with mats from before. So now I see (esp from your crucial level comment) that every single level is an issue.

So my original complaint about crafting being messed up is valid. Anet obviously did this and many other aspects of the game to garner real money purchases and almost making them unviable during “normal” play. No biggie, right? Since we all know why they did this… but at least acknowledge it as a valid complaint. Instead, as always, no matter what is posted, must get replies from people acting like they don’t know what you’re talking about. Then, after much prodding, find that you’re buying stuff.

Bottom line, profession leveling is 200x the crafting leveling speed. This is a blatantly contrived mechanic and anyone who claims to not see this is either fooling themselves or something else.

I don't over value the amount of materials I buy. If I bought 10 jutes I'd be surprised (probably closer to 5). I usually play one character at a time and I explore zones before I move on to the next.

You need someone else's input as you are obviously not going to believe me. And why should I care a random internet person is wrong. Especially not someone with this attitude.

I got all mine through map completing my first level 80. By the time you hit the high levels (60+), you cut right through anything in a <15 zone like it's not even there. As long as you're salvaging white light armor drops, you'll be rolling in base and rare mats. Plus the 40 mats you get when you 100% a zone.

And I did almost all of that with 0% magic find too.

What server are you on Maniacal? I'm on Desolation, haven't been this addicted to a game since last year's Football Manager.

I love this game. I've now started levelling an Elementalist after getting a thief to 80.

I'm on Piken Square, which is apparently the unofficial roleplaying server. I didn't know that when I signed up but they are kind of fun to have around, so it's all good.

My main is a Lv80 Mesmer; I also have a Lv80 thief and one of each of the other classes all on their way to Lv80. Currently levelling a greatsword warrior which is great fun. I can see why it's so pervasive.

Rubrum and I are on Tarnished Coast, which is the NA unofficial RP server.

I haven't really played at all this month, been on a bit of a break after Wintersday. Although I'm going to get my monthly done so I'll be getting back to playing it regularly soon.

So I've been playing this for a couple of months now. Should've figured that there would be other CFC players. I'm a level 80 engineer, also leveling a necro. I must say I really like the engineer/asura combination. I'm just doing the (human) necro for looks when I want to take a break from farming Orr/dragons. Pretty much hit the end game already, although I really can't get started on getting a Legendary weapon since the requirements at present are just ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm on Stormbluff Isle. I didn't see anyone report that they're on the same server, but anyhow, I'm aelflune.8590.

Also, LOOK AT MY AWESOME ASURA!

Spoiler :

EDIT: So, what are your end game plans?

Top Bottom