A question about Greece(AI) allies with City States

IMACIVFAN

Chieftain
Just now, I am playing the game, and at a turning point.

I have completed 4 out of 5 Policy and Alexander has got only 3, the other two are Japan and Carthage, they have completed only 1. None of the 3 AI empires are interested in Science at all.

At turn 294 in 2014 AD and Alexander has declared war and fortunately with 5 thousands gold I managed to bunker up my coastal City Bussan by purchasing wall...and immediately 1 submarine, used it to sank 1 carrier and 2 battleships with the help of city defense of course and also 1 bi-plane.

Just now, he has proposed 10 turns peace treaty with 760 gold with another conditions which is I want to ask about.

It asks for me accepting peace terms with 7 out of 16 cities states I set up the game at the start. How does the AI empire form alliances with City States? And further question: how do I form alliances with so many City States and request them to fight together with me? I am really interested in this.

Also how do I attach the save game and upload it here for you folks to check out for me?

There's no need to upload save file.
To make an alliance with City-State. Do quest for them or give them a ton of money, preferably both, and then their logo will turn to light blue so we will get bonus from them and they will help fighting your war. (Most time they are rarely useful, BTW) We have to keep them happy as our influence over them will decay over times. Alexander are particular good at keeping them happy.

I managed to kick Alexander out. And I won the Cultural victory awesomely, built many wonders and many buildings in late game, I got very wealthy too without trading with other empires throughout the whole game. And I could also bought some combat units to stop Alexander despite I lost 1 out of 3 cities to him before the victory.

But I don't quite enjoy the whole experience. I improved tiles with workers, got Liberty>Deity>Tradition>Freedom>Commerce. But most of the time, I just followed the recommended tech and leave the game to go to the next turn.

Perhaps, the diplomacy part especially the spy features turned me on a bit but not huge. Is that a sort of same general experience for you folks playing a cultural victory ?

You're missing out if you're not allying city states. At ally, they share with you their luxury and strategic resources. You cannot sell/trade these away, but you benefit from the happiness and build opportunities they bring. Mercantile city states even have access to luxuries that can only be had this way (Jewelry and Porcelain for example).

Meanwhile, the culture, faith, and food that city states give goes up when going from friends to allies. Once they're allied, you have visibility where they do and they will fight with you when you declare war. They also increase the amount of votes you get in world congress once they join. If nothing else, allying a city state prevents another civ from doing so. They can still buy/do quests to outdo your reputation, but each city state only has one ally at a time even if every civ has > 59 reputation with them. I once met a civ I hadn't met yet because I allied a city state and that civ had a unit within their visibility!

If you go to gift a city state money, try to hold out to be able to give them 1,000 gold at a time. You'll see when you go to give a gift that it's almost always the most efficient option. Only give less if you're in a pinch or you're literally so close to the end of the game that more rep isn't beneficial.

Thanks for the pointer. I enjoy the City States enormously now. The only interesting question to me about CS is what are they actually representing in our world if Civ 5 is simulation civilizations on this planet.

The other question I yearn to know is that, how can I use diplomacy the game provides, to ally with one or more of the other civilizations just like what I do with CS. Or is it possible at all?

For your information, I am playing G&K of the Complete Edition. If the feature is not supported in G&K but in BNW, do let me know I can activate it via DLC.

Thanks for the pointer. I enjoy the City States enormously now. The only interesting question to me about CS is what are they actually representing in our world if Civ 5 is simulation civilizations on this planet.

The other question I yearn to know is that, how can I use diplomacy the game provides, to ally with one or more of the other civilizations just like what I do with CS. Or is it possible at all?

For your information, I am playing G&K of the Complete Edition. If the feature is not supported in G&K but in BNW, do let me know I can activate it via DLC.

In modern times, a City-state could easily be any underdeveloped or small nation, many of these being around the world. An example of this could Ghana, Singapore, Iceland, Cuba, etc...

It's not quite the same. However, you can just give a civ 6 gpt to receive a bright green "has traded recently" modifier. How much this goes to ushering in friendship or staving off war, I'm not certain.

Top Bottom