Do Alhambra ranged units receive Drill 1 or Barrage 1 instead?

Athenaeum

Prince
It's really crazy, but I've actually only built this wonder like 1 or 2 times. It gives Drill 1 to all non-air units. Drill 1 is a melee promotion. I was wondering if it perhaps gives Barrage 1 instead to ranged units, seeing that this is like the equivalent ranged promotion?

No I think it only gives the Drill promotion to melee units. This is one of the Wonders that the AI LOVES to build and is probably one of the reasons you've only built it a few times, the AI always snipes this Wonder so I never bother trying to build it. For some reason, the AI is obsessed with certain Wonders but ignores others completely!

No need to test anything. As claudiupb says, the wrong type of unit can never recieve the wrong kind of promotion from a wonder or building's free promotions. Drill 1 is specific to certain types of units based on their CombatClass specification. The promotion given by a building is also specific and is never altered to a more-fitting promotion based on the unit being created within a city (or in the case of Great Lighthouse, given to all units anywhere on the map that are 'correct' for the Great Lighthouse promotion). Alhambra gives Drill 1 and only Drill 1, and only to the units which are normally able to accept Drill 1. If the unit cannot accept the promotion, then nothing happens. If the unit already has the promotion (like an American Minuteman), they only get the Drill 1 promotion one time, they don't get a second copy of Drill 1.

And so far as the game is concerned a wonder is a building, in case someone wanted to object that I've been talking back and forth about buildings and only sometimes wonders when the discussion is about the Alhambra Wonder.

No need to test anything.

This thread was posed, so there was an expressed desire for an answer. This is the sort of thing that IGE could provide an answer for to a person much faster than starting a thread. Since many people don't realize they have the power to discover answers in a moment's time, there's no harm in reminding people that this is available to them. Pointing this out doesn't detract from somebody else already providing the answer since the answer provided answers THIS question, while the reminder of ability to self-test answers this question and many more today and on into the future.

If I wanted to use IGE to test for myself, I would have done so. The reason I asked this thread was obviously because I preferred to get a response from other people.

I have used IGE a few times but am not very familiar with it, and haven't really explored features beyond changing terrain and other minor things. It took me about 1 minute to post this question and it did not bother me that I had to wait a few hours for an answer. I am not in a rush for an answer but am very busy lately and don't have a lot of time to sandbox around on IGE.

I'm sure you'll probably say that it would only take 5 minutes on IGE or something like that but I typically take longer than average to learn anything that takes place on a computer, whether it be IGE, programming language, or otherwise.

I am not in a rush for an answer but am very busy lately and don't have a lot of time to sandbox around on IGE.

Wouldn't this mean you wouldn't have the time to make use of the answer to the question? Wouldn't this also mean that you're asking other people to put more effort into something for you than you're willing to put forth yourself?

You don't have to reconcile these things. Since I didn't put forth the objective claim that IGE can be used to test questions about Civ 5 (which is true, so should be above reproach) in a PM, others can benefit from it even if you choose to disregard it for whatever reason.

Yes, that's correct. If you want to know my personal situation, I have been too busy lately to play Civ. However I still think about it occasionally and I get curious about things that I'd like to ask questions about.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove, but the bottom line is that I chose to use this forum as the means of answering the question that I had, for whatever reasons. If you don't like that then I'm sorry.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove... If you don't like that

Such manipulative language! Is there a reason you cannot talk about something without personalizing it?

I made a factual statement: IGE CAN be used to test things. Is this false? If not, then there's no reason to visit it further. Or if you are going to visit it further, have the integrity to point out how my claim fails to accurately describe the real world. I'm certainly open to correction and never intend to spread misinformation.

You can go about your day if you choose not to avail yourself of that FACT. If instead you add more to the thread, then you solicit others to add more based on what you added. This is how conversations work. This wouldn't be an indication of somebody trying to prove something or not liking something. YOU have kept the thread going by adding two posts directed at me. So perhaps your claims of trying to prove something or not liking something is projection. If nothing else, trying to attach a narrative to what is common discourse IS manipulative.

If you're busy these days, perhaps your time would be better spent than trying to cover up the fact that people can use IGE to test stuff in Civ 5. A bizarre spectacle to behold for sure.

Moderator Action: It is time for the two of you to stop derailing this thread with this pointless line of debate.

It's a mod that helps you modify the game: you can modify the map, add resources to tiles, create units, give techs, add buildings/wonders to cities, etc. It works a lot like the cheat menu in civ2. It is quite useful if you want to test some ideas/concepts/strategies, since you just create the scenario in one turn and then play it out.

A free drill promotion and its cpt from Alhambra is decent then i guess.

Top Bottom