The Complete Guide to Terrain, Improvements, Resources, and City Placement (v.2)

I may be wrong, but I remember that forges give happiness if you have gems and gold or something like that? Sorry for resurrection and/or repost, Ifound nothing with search.

+1 from Gems, Gold, Silver

It's often a good idea to have a look at the civilopedia before you search the boards.

Odd choice to post this question in here, anyway... but nevermind, welcome to the forum.

Defensive positions: The last thing to consider is the defense bonus and whether or not it is of strategic value to chop a forest or jungle. The defense bonus for both is 50%, and if that's on a hill (25%) you get a cumulative 75%! Because unit movement is also decreased, having a few forests in strategic positions around your empire can slow an enemy advance to a crawl. If you have a forest on a hill, in a good position for a fortification, DO NOT CHOP IT DOWN TO BUILT A FORT. A fort only has a 25% defensive bonus.

Reasons to leave the forest
  • Forts count as cities, so swordmen, trebuchets and all units with city raider promotions receive a bonus for attacking you there.
  • As Stuporstar pointed out, 75% defense on forested hills > 50% in hill forts. (Promotions aside: the only time hill/fort is better than hill/forest would be if you defend with Archers.)

Reasons to build a fort
  • Units stationed inside a fort heal like they do in a friendly city.
  • Aircrafts, missiles and paratroopers can be based there.

I dont know when you just missed it or I am false but when you built city on deer you get
one extra food too like if you built city on other food resources.

I dont know when you just missed it or I am false but when you built city on deer you get
one extra food too like if you built city on other food resources.

Not quite right. What happens is if you settle a city on a 3:food: tile, your city gets 3:food:. If you settle on a 0, 1, or 2:food: tile, your city gets 2:food:.
So if you settle on a grass-deer (worth 3:food: unimproved) your city will get 3:food:. But if you settle on a tundra-deer (worth 2:food: unimproved), your city gets just 2:food:. The same is true for hammers (settling on a 2:hammers: tile gets you 2:hammers:) and commerce, although it doesn't count the effect of tile improvements (like farms), forests, jungles, or floodplains.

I found this guide very useful and keep finding myself referring to it a lot. Good job!

Well: Combustion and Offshore Platform: Plastics (built on sea sqaures - requires Work Boat)
Base Tile Bonus-------Improved Tile Bonus
Oil-----1P---------------3P 1C

The following improvements exist only on coast or sea squares and require a Work Boat to improve them (this includes Offshore Platforms as well, mentioned above). As mentioned in the manual, a work boat can only be used once to improve a tile. It is then destroyed upon completion of the improvement and you must create a new one to improve further water tiles.

Fishing Boats: Fishing
Fish----1F-------------4F +1 Health
Clam---1F-------------3F +1 Health
Crab---1F-------------3F +1 Health

Whaling Boats: Optics
Whales---1F-------------1F 1P 2C +1 Happiness (obsolete with Combustion)
*note, when this luxury becomes obsolete you still get the tile bonus.

One small thing tho, I didn't see any part about the Moai Statues. This can be vital in coastal cities for the production boost to sea and coastal tiles.

As Niklas puts:

Moai Statues
Cost: 250 (Double Production Speed w/ Stone)
Culture: 2
Great People Points: 1
Requires: Sailing
+1 hammer on water tiles in this city
City more likely to generate Great Prophet

Just thought I'd mention this for you ;)

Top Bottom