XML tweaking?

White Out

Prince
I tried tweaking the XML to slow research down, by changing it to 200%. I didn't notice a change... is there a missing step?

Keep in mind I was using my GF's laptop and I think there's something off with it because it acts funny (the game) vs my comp upstairs

We'd kind of need to know exactly what you did to be able to help... Otherwise we're throwing well thought out but ultimately random guesses as to what you might possibly be doing wrong.

EXACTLY what you did.

As in, not just "I tried tweaking the XML". Did you change an existing game file? If so, which one? What part of the coding did you change, and what does it look like now? Did you make a small mod? If so, what coding does it contain? Is everything set to have it's necessary actions? Do the logs show anything?

This is kind of vital information...

My bad I know that I gave like no useful information. I modded the XML file gamespeed

<GameSpeeds>
<Update>
<Where Type="GAMESPEED_MARATHON" />
<Set ResearchPercent="300" />
</Update>

<Update>
<Where Type="GAMESPEED_EPIC" />
<Set ResearchPercent="150" />
</Update>

<Update>
<Where Type="GAMESPEED_STANDARD" />
<Set ResearchPercent="100" />
</Update>
</GameSpeeds>

I changed standard to 200 just to test and nothing happened.

This post is rather amazing though I really like his explanations..

If I manage to increase just the game speeds, does that change era to era? Like when I say get to the next few eras will that multiplier stop working? Once I get home Ill be able to figure this thing out more but I feel like I may tinker and try writing a mod myself THanks in advance for patience :)

edit: Oh ok I really like this guys idea. So basically there's a blanket speed of research for everything, then, there's also 1 by 1 research settings. So you could, as he suggested, make era's really staggered in length... which.. is actually something I FAR prefer over blanket increase in all research. I think ill be giving this a whirl when I get home..

<GameSpeeds>
<Update>
<Where Type="GAMESPEED_MARATHON" />
<Set ResearchPercent="300" />
</Update>

<Update>
<Where Type="GAMESPEED_EPIC" />
<Set ResearchPercent="150" />
</Update>

<Update>
<Where Type="GAMESPEED_STANDARD" />
<Set ResearchPercent="100" />
</Update>
</GameSpeeds>

I changed standard to 200 just to test and nothing happened.
This is a clear contradiction. You're setting the research speed to 100%, not adding 100%. Change that to 200, at least for standard; same for all the other gamespeeds, they need to be multiplied by 2. Unless I'm not understanding what you're saying.

It would probably just be easier, though, to make a mod with literally one file - an SQL file - containing this:
Code:
UPDATE GameSpeeds SET ResearchPercent = ResearchPercent * 2

How about a mod to update the XML file to update each research cost manually? Is that complicated?

Edit you are right but in the XML I did set it to 200 NY bad.

Well, your coding would work fine once you changed all the values; just make sure that all of it is within <GameData> and that the xml file has an UpdateDatabase entry.

oh for christ sake no wonder none of this works, steam fixes the file doesn't it? so i have to make a mod to update the file to use it in a game? ah rats. well... now i have to figure this out from scratch!!

I downloaded modbuddy and I'm sorting my way through a FAQ I found but is there a short cut you or anyone can point me to? I'm creating a 1 file mod that will update the parameters of gameplay/XML/technologies/CIV5Technologies.xml

with each era having a higher increase in % science needed.

edit: trying to answer my own question with the link i posted. this is complicated stuff for a newb :)

I don't think you'll need any guides, you're just putting the code that you wrote into an XML file. (With the proper changes and indentations, of course) Although you might need a guide to tell you how to set the file to UpdateDatabase and how to build the mod, but that's a problem for later.

And editing an existing file usually works, so you're probably doing something wrong there.

well when i edit the file and then load the game through steam it updates.. and i think what its updating is my file back to original. i can see that after i save the game and go back the damn thing after starting civ is right back to the old values

edit or maybe I just dont know what im talking about.

You might try enabling logging, play a turn after editing the existing file, then quit and check the database.log. It might show an error.

K this is really frurstrating in my XML file it clearly shows future tech as costing 16,000 science on the money, then I start the game go into single player and check the tech tree within the game and its just under 10k. around 9 something

<Row>
<Type>TECH_FUTURE_TECH</Type>
<Cost>16000</Cost>
<Description>TXT_KEY_TECH_FUTURE_TECH_TITLE</Description>
<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_TECH_FUTURE_TECH_DESC</Civilopedia>
<Help>TXT_KEY_TECH_FUTURE_TECH_HELP</Help>
<Era>ERA_FUTURE</Era>
<Repeat>true</Repeat>
<Trade>true</Trade>
<GridX>17</GridX>
<GridY>4</GridY>
<Quote>TXT_KEY_TECH_FUTURE_TECH_QUOTE</Quote>
<PortraitIndex>10</PortraitIndex>
<IconAtlas>TECH_ATLAS_2</IconAtlas>
<AudioIntro>AS2D_TECH_FUTURE_TECH</AudioIntro>
<AudioIntroHeader>AS2D_HEADING_TECH_FUTURE_TECH</AudioIntroHeader>
</Row>

Somethings rotten in Denmark I deleted the file all together and the game still works. Is there another directory I should be using or something wtf..

You're probably editing the assets in the base game directory. Check <Civ Directory>/Assets/DLC/Expansion/<normal rest of path> (for G&K) or <Civ Directory>/Assets/DLC/Expansion2 (for BNW). Whichever you have, alter the files in the later one.

If you want to build a mod (as you noted, changes to your game files will eventually be reverted by Steam though it shouldn't happen every time you boot the game), work from whoward's template.

damn it! lol. PS thanks that helps :D

ok so ill do that but im also building a mod... or want to. so far i used the other guys thread idea as a base and this is what i have..

Spoiler :
<!-- ######################### -->
<!-- # Change Tech Costs # -->
<!-- ######################### -->

<!-- Future Tech -->
<Technologies>
<Update>
<Where Cost="9500"/>
<Set Cost="16150"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Where Cost="8800"/>
<Set Cost="14960"/>
</Update>
</Technologies>

<!-- Modern Era -->
<Technologies>
<Update>
<Where Cost="5100"/>
<Set Cost="8415"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Where Cost="10560"/>
<Set Cost="12000"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Where Cost="12705"/>
<Set Cost="10000"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Where Cost="15675"/>
<Set Cost="10000"/>
</Update>
</Technologies>

<!-- Industrial Era -->
<Technologies>
<Update>
<Where Cost="3760"/>
<Set Cost="7000"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Where Cost="3100"/>
<Set Cost="4960"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Where Cost="4100"/>
<Set Cost="6560"/>
</Update>
</Technologies>

<!-- Renaissance Era -->
<Technologies>
<Update>
<Where Cost="780"/>
<Set Cost="1170"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Where Cost="1150"/>
<Set Cost="1725"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Where Cost="1600"/>
<Set Cost="2400"/>
</Update>
</Technologies>

<!-- Medievial Era -->
<Technologies>
<Update>
<Where Cost="275"/>
<Set Cost="385"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Where Cost="375"/>
<Set Cost="525"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Where Cost="485"/>
<Set Cost="679"/>
</Update>
</Technologies>

<!-- Classic Era -->
<Technologies>
<Update>
<Where Cost="85"/>
<Set Cost="115"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Where Cost="175"/>
<Set Cost="228"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Where Cost="105"/>
<Set Cost="142"/>
</Update>
</Technologies>

<!-- Ancient Era -->
<Technologies>
<Update>
<Where Cost="20"/>
<Set Cost="26"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Where Cost="35"/>
<Set Cost="46"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Where Cost="55"/>
<Set Cost="72"/>
</Update>
</Technologies>

So ... whats next friends :) lol

edit: rather maybe its easier to just replace the whole tech XML?

edit 2: ok perfect so ya i was totally editing the wrong directory how embarrassing :(

I made the XML file and I would think the easiest way to get this in a mod would just use that right?

Top Bottom