Remove an existing Civ from game

chrisjwmartin

Chieftain
Hello,

There is a civ that I really don't like playing against, and I would like to remove it from the game to prevent it from appearing as an AI civ.

Do I just delete the XML for that leader?

Yes, I have already tried looking for simple descriptions, such as the "How to delete stuff" thread, which immediately announced itself as "Contrary to the title of the post, this is really a tutorial about how to deal with the potential ill effects of deleting. I'm assuming a basic knowledge of XML and SQL sufficient to actually delete an item."

Well, assuming its America you want to delete, you could make a small mod that contains just this code:
Code:
<GameData>
	<Civilizations>
		<Update>
			<Where Type="CIVILIZATION_AMERICA"/>
			<Set AIPlayable="0"/>
		</Update>
	</Civilizations>
</GameData>
At least, I think that should work....

No, I was saying make a mod for that.

But if you're insisting on changing an existing file...

1) Find a file called "CIV5Civilizations.xml". It should be within one of the following file paths:
Vanilla: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\Gameplay\XML\Civilizations
G&K: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion\Gameplay\XML\Civilizations
BNW: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML\Civilizations

2) Right-click on the file, edit it with notepad or some other text editor

3) Scroll down until you find this:
Code:
		<Row>
			<ID>0</ID>
			<Type>CIVILIZATION_AMERICA</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_CIV_AMERICA_DESC</Description>
			<ShortDescription>TXT_KEY_CIV_AMERICA_SHORT_DESC</ShortDescription>
			<Adjective>TXT_KEY_CIV_AMERICA_ADJECTIVE</Adjective>
			<CivilopediaTag>TXT_KEY_CIV5_UNITEDSTATES</CivilopediaTag>
			<DefaultPlayerColor>PLAYERCOLOR_AMERICA</DefaultPlayerColor>
			<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_CIVILIZATION_AMERICA</ArtDefineTag>
			<ArtStyleType>ARTSTYLE_EUROPEAN</ArtStyleType>
			<PortraitIndex>0</PortraitIndex>
			<IconAtlas>CIV_COLOR_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
			<AlphaIconAtlas>CIV_ALPHA_ATLAS</AlphaIconAtlas>
			<MapImage>MapAmerica512.dds</MapImage>
			<ArtStyleSuffix>_EURO</ArtStyleSuffix>
			<ArtStylePrefix>EUROPEAN </ArtStylePrefix>
			<DawnOfManQuote>TXT_KEY_CIV5_DAWN_UNITEDSTATES_TEXT</DawnOfManQuote>
			<DawnOfManImage>DOM_Washington.dds</DawnOfManImage>
			<DawnOfManAudio>AS2D_DOM_SPEECH_UNITED_STATES</DawnOfManAudio>
		</Row>

4) Delete it.

See if that works - of course, this is assuming you want to delete America. America is the first civ in alphabetical order, so if you want to delete a different civ you'll have to scroll down farther.

You can use the mod ReallyAdvancedSetup to disable civs from being randomed in a game.

No need to delete it (in fact deleting America like that is a really bad idea as it will take out the <ID>0</ID> line and a lot of DLL code assumes tables with ID/Type fields start at 0)

Just add
Code:
<AIPlayable>0</AIPlayable>
anywhere between the <Row>...</Row> tags

No need to delete it (in fact deleting America like that is a really bad idea as it will take out the <ID>0</ID> line and a lot of DLL code assumes tables with ID/Type fields start at 0)

Just add
Code:
<AIPlayable>0</AIPlayable>
anywhere between the <Row>...</Row> tags

That looks like what I was after! Thank you so much to everyone who offered help. I will try to remember to post back in the thread to confirm whether or not it was successful.

Top Bottom