CivRev Region Compatibility

Numinar

Chieftain
Hello! I am an Australian living in Germany with a Japanese Xbox that I have been carting all over the world (no RROD, not even after mutliple luggage collisions!).

Wierd situation, I know. I´m pretty good at this importing stuff, and it´s not like I do it to dodge taxes or rip off publishers (I just buy what is available where I am living at the time) And before anyone tells me to buy a PS3 to avoid having to make posts liek this, how about YOU buy me a PS3? Ok, now we get to the buisness end of things.

Now, my copy of Halo will work on anything, including my dads Pal machine back home. My copy of GTA4 will work on Japanese machines and Pal machines. Both work on My japanese machine on the Pal TV´s using RGB scart, no worries. I use a PC monitor via VGA most the time anyway.

The thing is, why don´t publishers let us know about the compatibility of their games? They must know months before release, and yet they stay tight lipped? Whats with that? It´s crazy! I don´t mind if you region lock your games so much, it comes with the territory, but let us know well in advance so we can secure our purchase early! 2K, you would already have my money if you would let me know this detail.

I want this game, but I cannot guarantee my limited budget won´t be swallowed up by a different game to come along. Why, the store I saw CivRev at in town yesterday had a copy of Ninja Gaiden 2 uncut I know will work on my machine, maybe I should grab that this month instead... CivRev might be another title I don´t grab until it reaches the budget bin, if ever.

Yours sincerely,

Angry civ addict.

you do realize that if you pick up the box at your local store, and it doesn't say anything about PAL encoding or region 2 anywhere on it, that it is region-free and able to be played on any system, right?

Thanks for the tip, I´ll check it out. What kind of warning will it be? The little PAL and NTSC-J only warnings on my german Grand theft auto 4 and Japanese Halo 3 games mean almost nothing (Halo is region free, GTA4 works everywhere except US.). I usually use the play asia information to check things out, but they don´t release that information till release. (Either because they cannot test beforehand, or they want to make money out of ignorant importers). They do not carry the pal release anyway, so that dosn´t help me working out what the game at my local will work on unless the PAL and NTSC-J version are the same disc like with GTA4. Which was still a hassel to work out, pirates provided this information before Take 2 did...

I just think it is weak that this information isn´t provided by 2K (Or any developer, lets be fair). I know not many people are in my situation, but come on. I could be playing CivRev today with the fanatics, sid and everyone else, or at least putting an order in for the version I need if it´s released later.

I dunno, I figured it they bothered putting those labels on the game, that they actually mattered. I've yet to hear from any of the 2K staff on whether the game is region coded or not, because a lot of people are wanting to import it from Europe to the US right now.

I've asked the various europeans over on the 2K forums if they've noticed any region coding info on the packaging(and there's a few that went ahead and imported it to the US, they should be posting in awhile about whether they got it working or not)

Oh man, if the game isn't region encoded, I'm totally going to order the game. Just have to figure out where...

Top Bottom