Hoover Dam to Three Gorges Dam

brinko

witness of the past
i have heard that the 3 gorges dam being built in china is bigger then the hoover dam...

so if this is true, which one will be available in civ4?

Trhee gorges dams are not completed (I guess). The americans might build it first :D :lol:

Well, AFAIK, there are other dams in the world pumping out more kilowatts then the old Hoover Dam already, Hoover matters in the game cause it was the original super power dam.

u make ur point clear ivan. i guess i just want to see the modern age revamped abit.

Aswan High Dam, just to name a competitor. Also remember that many Americans have never heard of the Aswan High or the Three Gorges Dam, but every American has heard of the Hoover Dam. For a game that was originally sold in the US, this is understandable. What about removing it as a GW, and let superdams be a small wonder?

it should be a wonder for sure. where i grew up, i dunno what the general iq was around then, but back in the 50's 60's they built all these little dinky dams around. half of them didnt work, but costed about 2 million each to make. not one of them that i know of, are still being used today. yet the towns still are paying off the interest from borowing money to build them...it reminds me of an episode of the simpsons, when the monorail was in town. some crook comes in, suckers the town out of its money and money it didnt have, built some cheap novelty rail system in the middle of the town, with cracking foundations and left.
my point is, the ancient chinese proverb once said ....

"it is better to have one sharp sword then 7 dull ones"

and we all know that king arthurs Excalibur sword was indeed a great one...

thus the greatness should be noted, and the great should stand forever.

so dont reduce the notion of the hoover dam of being great.

While the Aswan dam is rather impressive and I would classify it as a modern day wonder, it is no where near as impressive as Hoover. Aswan is some 300+ feet tall and is dwarfed by Hoover's 700+ fee height. Looking at the two, I am just more awed by Hoover than Aswan, but then again, that could be my American pride speaking. (I have also never seen either with my own eye).

As for Three Gorges, that dam is not completed yet and will be collosal in size (dwarfing Aswan and Hoover put together - if I recall correctly) it will always be a failure. It will take decades for that dam to even come close to repaying its construction costs, including the relocation costs for the thousands of displaced persons. Not to mention any ecological damage resulting in the flooding of such a large area. The whole concept of that dam was, in my opinion, a propoganda ploy using the old communist philosphy that "bigger is better" and I would never consider that monstrosity a great wonder.

Hmm, Hoover is a really nice wonder, at the top of the Wonder Addiction list, in my book, anyway. I'd hate to see it go. Maybe ameliorate its effects somewhat, say it gives a free powerplant for the 1st 15 cities you have/build factories in. The civs that miss out could get a small Hydroelectric Project wonder, that gives a free hydro plant for every city in the civilization on a river. Maybe this would be worth building, maybe not.

Hoover is just more notable than the Three Gorges.

More well-known in the US of A, perhaps. More noticeable historically, one can give it that (it did predate most of the other mega-dams in the world by a few years). But I think if you were to take a poll outside the US, you'd find more people aware of the three Gorges project than people aware of the Hoover Dam. It's simply been much more of a "hot topic" in recent years.

That said, I'm in agreement with whoever suggested a "mega-dam" small wonder rather than (or in addition to) the Hoover a great wonder. Simply put, there is a missing step in the order of scale : the small hydro dams in the game that power up a city, and then the FIRST mega-dam - but nothing to represent all the OTHER large-scale projects that came afterward - Grand Coulee in the US, Krasnoyarsk in Russia, La Grande 2 and Churchill Falls in Canada, Itaipu in Brasil, Guri in Venezuela, and a few others. And those are the ones whch dwarf Hoover, with twice the output and more (Itaipu has over four time the output of Hoover).

Of course, these super-dam small wonders would not have to be as powerful as Hoover - which should keep its Great Wonder status, I think - but they should be there, and be quite above standard dams in terms of power level.

Hoover Dam was the first big dam, now, it isn't even the biggest in the States... the biggest in the states is the Grand Coulee (sp?) in Washington, on the Columbia river.

Top Bottom