New NESes, ideas, development, etc

It must be the condensed information of the NESing universe that gained sentience by foul means.

When I say political level, and note that I said "almost," I mean recognition as a nation on the world stage as well as a mainly stable government. It should also be noted that the tribal and regional bickering generally took place only in succesion disputes, bickering that also took place in Europe. It is true that the divisions in Abyssinia were often larger and fiercer than in Western countries, the amount is not enough to disqualify Abyssinia from a position of a real country. Also, untill we find out the exact date, we can not say the exact level of political and other stability.

I was curious so I looked it up on google. Seems we have a bot that has copied a random chunk of Israelite's post from page 16 of this thread. From six years ago, no less. Still, could be a message to us from unseen powers :)

Also, I wish to acknowledge Lokki242's post though I have no comments to make at this time.

No maps kill every IOT, or bad maps.

Yeah, I kinda figured it might, but I couldn't think of a way to get a map to fit the framework of the game.

Problem is, filling out the tables was kind of confusing. I'd have gladly kept going if not for that.

Problem is, filling out the tables was kind of confusing. I'd have gladly kept going if not for that.

I believe I have fixed my calculator program now, so you'd just have to calculate taxes and initial allocations (and even then just Conventional forces, imports, and exports.)

That 19th century NES I was planning earlier? That's now pushed aside until a number of other things (Most notably SKNES part II) get done. The 19th century NES I am aiming to be a masterpiece, so it's not showing up for a while.

I am aiming to be a masterpiece

Um... doesn't work like that. Players will be players, and while some NESes subconsciously gives a plot that a good mod can take advantage of, other NESes are just series of non sequitors which a Mod as to attempt to link together in the update. If you want a masterpiece, try writing a good Alt History. :)

Excised in the name of dictatorship.

What I meant by that is I want to try everything i can to make a NES that lasts as long as possible. I do know it is largely out of my hands ;)

I was curious so I looked it up on google. Seems we have a bot that has copied a random chunk of Israelite's post from page 16 of this thread. From six years ago, no less. Still, could be a message to us from unseen powers :)

Also, I wish to acknowledge Lokki242's post though I have no comments to make at this time.

Yeah it's a specific type of bot that picks up old posts and then spams them to make itself look legitimate, eventually posting advertisements/links. It doesn't work so well on here, but if it was on a forum where people only oogled hot babes or posted recipes or something, you can see how it would work. These things were plaguing OT a few months ago back when the servers seemed to be running like crap.

Something I've always struggled with, in terms of NES's has be the tech-tree, and my inability to correctly get one working. Most of my NES's have taken place at some point in the Modern Age, and I have always found my lack of knowledge is certain fields of technology fairly lacking, and it has led to a lot of arguments, mental anguish, and otherwise unhappy things.

To avoid having to deal with the types of technologies that I have proven myself to be unable to reasonable deal with, I've been working on a map for a possible fantasy-style NES. My thinking is, it would be a city-state-style NES, and take place in a classical time-period. Players would, at first take control over a city, take over surrounding areas, deal with expanding your population, army, trade, and barbarians.. etc. Technology, while a part of the NES, shouldn't be something that will make me bang my head on the wall.

Everything from government, to culture and religion would be customary, and can be as boring, or in-depth as the player wishes. If you'd rather have a maritime power, a culturally significant peaceful state, or a barbarian horde sacking and rampaging is completely up to the player. Even naming the towns, lakes, seas, rivers, and mountains will be left to the players.

Eventually, after a few turns, certain city-states could expand, and become their own empires.. or whatever the player wishes.

Manpower would be important to control and maintain.

Some thoughts I had, was that each city could recruit a certain amount a turn, Civ style, or build certain things each turn. The more cities you have, the more people you have, the larger your army and such.

I'd want army and culture types to be varied and interesting. While nations in some regions might adopt a Greeco-Phalanx type military, others may chose to take on a more mercenary style army like Carthage.

A lot of questions are still bouncing and around in my head, so feel free to ask me some, so I can fill in the blanks. The map is still very much a WiP.

Tonight, I might try to work on some base stats, if I find the time.

Any comments, ideas, or what have you would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, this is still in the beginning stages of development.

EDIT: I've also decided that I'd run the NES preliminarily for about 10-15 turns. If it is going well, I'll expand it, if not, It'll die.

EDIT EDIT: Deleted the map.

from what you have said so far, I'd definitely play.
As for the map, it looks good, although I'd go ahead and add a landmass (or part of a landmass) in the SW.

Thanks SK. I toyed around with the map a bit more, and feel sort of satisfied with it. I deleted it from above, as exploration (for the sake of commerce, or protection) is a part of it, at least for the first few turns.

The map, for all purposes is completed, including a rough (note: rough) topography map to go along with it.

Eltain has helped me with templates a bit, it's mostly just finding one I don't think will kill the NES.

For the NES, should I have players pick from available regions to start their own city-state/kingdom, or should they have to pick from pre-determined nations? Or perhaps a mixture? Where players are is determining where I'm going to place some pre-designed barbarians/other nations with their own personalities (If you could call it that). I want this to be rather customary for the players, so I'm leaning towards the first option. Any thoughts?

EDIT:

Spoiler Blank Map :

Spoiler Topographic Map :

At this point, the only thing really impeding the release of this, is how I should start the NES, and my dissatisfaction with all the templates I've been making. Perhaps after a night of sleep, something will come to me. XD

Have us pick from regions.

And yes, that's 'us' because I'm in. :)

Looks promising, TLK. Just don't over-stat the rules if you want to avoid Mod burnout. :)

Here is a rough template I thought about.

Player
Nation Name: Capitol
Government Type: Leaders (if specified)
Culture: Civilized/Semi-civilized/uncivilized/Nomadic
Stability: 1-5
Economics: Bank(+Income)
Population: Total(+Growth)
Army: (units will be designated Conscripts, Regulars and Veterans)
Navy: (units will be designated Conscripts, Regulars and Veterans)
Projects: (from roadworks, to Great Wonders such as Pyramids)
Spoiler Cities :

City 1
Population: (number out of total population)
Economics: (Number out of total income)

City 2
Population: (number out of total population)
Economics: (Number out of total income)

Technological initiatives, however minor, will be noted elsewhere on the front page, such as:

Cement Roads - Nation X (5 turns, 200 EP) [description]

I'm struggling really with how I want to handle armies. I certainly want UU's to play a part in the NES. The concept of one nation being well renown for their Slingers, as opposed to their cavalry would make the game interesting for me. The problem comes with base units. I'd like for barbarian or nomadic nations to have warbands, and many of them, while civilized nations might just simply have 'spearmen'. In order to encourage UU production, the base units will be fairly simple. Assuming I go with that type of culture classification. Does anyone have any ideas that might help out?

And thanks for the input everyone. Most of the reasons for my previous burnouts is really due to my lack of foresight with tech-trees. These tech-trees should be more up my ally.

I feel awkward making suggestions, but here I go.

For barbarian and nomadic groups, you might separate "Warbands" (i.e. Warriors purely for war) and "Hordlings" (i.e. people who live in such a way as to be familiar with war.) from everyone else. Basically Hordlings are always-raised levies which can be diveted from petty hunting/living to the rigors of war.

I agree that you want "bland" base armies, or even just "1EP buys 5 Regiments of Generic" to promote UU manufacture. In TerraNES, UU's can be spread and slowly become cultural, religious or even regional units that are unique in that region and cannot be built elsewhere. Once a UU transends mere national boundaries a nation can make another UU and maintain their current UU without fear of them assimilating to the normal military.

Will you have only 1 UU at a time, or other rules?

I was thinking as many UU's as one would want, though I also fear that might lead to 30 types of the same infantry. If I understand what you're saying, I do like the concept that one nation's UU may become the cultural base unit over time, though the problem is defining what nations are of one culture. While I want a variety of personalized cultures, I'd also like a unified broader culture for player states, and I don't know how to implement that without forcing people to go with the cultures I set forth.

I mean, essentially, I want a lot of things for the NES, the key one being that people are free to do as they wish, in terms of designing their own personalized faction/city/nation, but at the same time, I feel like I'm going to have to help some of it along. It's just a matter of what I help along, and what I leave to them.

Well, have a short culture thing, the way NK has it (you know, influences and stuff?) When a unit becomes cultural you have in the culture description All Nation with Strong X culture or better gets this UU for free.

To be more precise UU's in my NES has 4 stages of internationalism. Military is just sharing it for a military advantage, almost mercenary transplating families from the UU's home nation to a neighboring one. Cultural means that states with same/similiar culture gets that UU (example- Egyptian Civil War all get Egyptian War Chariots). Religious means states of that religion gets the UU (The Iron Lances, before they organized) and Regional, when all the nations of a region can build it as they wish (Levea, the Ox Chariot.)

Top Bottom