Random Events list

This list of all events and Quests for BtS has been compiled primarily to facilitate the discussion about whether Random Events can be allowed for the HOF – but since it might be of general interest I post it here ;)

Not that my opinion matters, but I think Events should be disabled for HoF submissions.

Some of these can be utterly game-making/breaking. Just last night I got Cover to all my melee units, which facilitated the destruction of Rome like a hot knife through butter -- something I know would have otherwise been much more difficult.

EDIT: Then again, a well-placed BW goodie hut can also be pretty game-making, and I don't know anything about goodie huts being turned off. So ...

yeah, goodie huts and/or random seed should be turned off for HoF submissions too... technically, if you had enough patience and started isolated, you could load/save yourself into getting a technology from every goodie hut... "Hi, I'm in the Hall of Fame, but I used goodie huts to discover Bronze Working, Metal Casting, Writing and Code of Laws, then I somehow managed to build the Oracle for Civil Service..."

Hmmm... seems like there aren't a whole lot of quests, and the one's that are there don't look that fun.

can someone help me?
i'm a noob in XML, and i never understand it, the first time I heard it it was in here, so I know nothing about it... but i want to unlock event #33 (tsunami)
can someone tell me exactly what to do?
I know must go to: "C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Events" but now what do I choose; eventinfos, eventschema or eventriggerinfos?
I think it is triggerinfos but I do i enable it or choose the % it happens in the game?
I saw post # 10, but I still have doubts...

can someone help me?
i'm a noob in XML, and i never understand it, the first time I heard it it was in here, so I know nothing about it... but i want to unlock event #33 (tsunami)
can someone tell me exactly what to do?
I know must go to: "C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Events" but now what do I choose; eventinfos, eventschema or eventriggerinfos?
I think it is triggerinfos but I do i enable it or choose the % it happens in the game?
I saw post # 10, but I still have doubts...
1: open .../Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Beyond the Sword/Assets/XML/Events/CIV4EventTriggerInfos.xml
2: search for
Code:
<EventTriggerInfo>
<Type>EVENTTRIGGER_TSUNAMI</Type>
, inside the <EventTriggerInfo> </EventTriggerInfo> tags for this event:
3: change the value of
Code:
<iPercentGamesActive>0</iPercentGamesActive>
to whatever you like (0 to 100) 0 means active in 0% of games, 100 means active in 100% of games.
4: change the value of
Code:
<iWeight>0</iWeight>
to whatever you like (-1 to any positive value) -1 means will activate whenever the prereqs are met, 0 has the lowest chance any higher increases the chance per turn (5000 is the highest used in the game I think).
5: save
6: play a game of ensured destruction ;)

Great work for Random events, ORI :goodjob:

I think no one is game-breaker, unless the tsunami doesn't occur in a small city and in the early game.

My opinion is to left this a player option.

And the Unrestricted Leaders can be interesting, probably this too can be an option.

I don't think the quests look un-fun, but I like that many of them are pretty difficult. I've only been able to complete a couple of them so far, so some of the more difficult ones (Holy Mountain, etc...) are now goals for future games.

unless the tsunami doesn't occur in a small city and in the early game.
Tsunami is off by default (0 chance of inclusion per game) - I guess they just left the code for modders who want really destructive stuff...

Where are these defined. I want to change the values for more events.
...\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4EraInfos.xml

you have to change the following value for each Era:

Code:
<iEventChancePerTurn>1</iEventChancePerTurn>

this is a percent value so 1 means 1% chance per turn, 2 means 2% chance per turn and so on (I would not try something like 101 :evil: )

Federal Reserve
Prereq: Free Market Civic AND at least 1000 gold AND CORPORATION
Obsolete: None
Active/Weight: 90/200
Result:
1.-10% Inflation
2.pay 200 gold AND -25% Inflation

I had this one occur in my last game with the Mayan financial dude. You want to talk about completely unfair advantage? Unreal...

Easily the best random event that I've had happen.

I got that one too. i never noticed inflation, although i had a rather vague notin it was there in the financial screen. mine was 100% before the bonus...
How else does one change inflation?

i'm sure ori's method in post #34 to get more events works, he's never let me down. i use a different way that i learned from solver, since i found it first, in the thread with his mod that adds more events/quests.

to increase the chance of all events:
There's a variable in GlobalAssets.xml - called something like EVENT_PROBABILITY_DIE_SIDES or along those lines. It's at 100. If you set it to a lower number, you'll get more events - though I wouldn't recommend anything less than 50.

the variable is actually EVENT_PROBABILITY_ROLL_SIDES.

to increase the chance of a specific quest (might work for an event too, i haven't tried this one):
In the Civ4EventTriggerInfos.xml file, find the triggers for those quests (like EVENTTRIGGER_HOLY_MOUNTAIN) or something. They'll have a variable, near the start of the entry, called iWeight - if it's 100, set it to a higher value (like 200) to increase the chance of that event. Don't touch triggers with an iWeight value of -1.

gotta love how he and ori both warn us what numbers not to use *giggle*!

signed, cheater cheater pumpkin eater who gets a kick and a giggle out of events. well, depending on what they are and who they happen to. genghis got some horseshoe improvement making his mounted troops the best in the world last night ooooooooh boy!

What Kmad says is even easier: if you want to have more events overall go that route, if you want to change the way it is distributed over the eras use what I said above.
And the thing with what values not to use is easier upfront then having to explain why it didn't work in the first place ;)

Top Bottom