C2C - Religions discussions and ideas

About Monasteries: What about not having them go obsolete but at certain tech reduce their +tech%? -5% on one tech and the rest on another tech? The +1health from a civic means that once one goes away from said civic most won't have that +health anyway (only the few that have it inherent will still give health bonus).

Cheers

That sounds reasonable. I should have been more clear as I think the building shouldn't disappear, but maybe not all benefits remain-- research being a prime suspect.

@SO: sounds like you're suffering from "Iplayatahighergamedifficultythanmylevelofability-itis". It strikes me on one player games all the time. The game is tougher now. That's how it is.

Part of the problem you are experiencing stems from the fact that once you have a benefit as powerful as a religion, it allows you the leeway to greater expenditure towards technology and makes it easier to stay ahead. The game is currently geared, as it has been since vanilla, to reward the most advanced player with more and more ways to get even further ahead. So, get ahead and you feel like you are dominating, get behind and its hell to catchup.

I have a grand concept of how to reverse that process but the source of the problem is built into the game and our mod on many levels and is generally kept in a semblance of balance by methods that make it so that even if a nation shoots for a goal, another may shoot for one on the opposite side of the tree and they can stay in balance that way... works to make two or three great leading nations while the rest straggle helplessly.

So, in the long run... I'll be doing some things to work on that. For now... can you fault the ai for doing something it should be doing? This is what the players should be doing as well! Does it make the rest of the techs worthless? No... just means the AI is finally seeing religion for what its worth.

The alternative strategies they have now not chosen, as a result, can take advantage of them... I was always fascinated with the 'go for the horses' mongol strategy - "let them struggle for their religions as I ignore them and build an army powerful enough to take what they've earned for me from them." I don't usually employ it because I like to play for the religions myself.

IRT monasteries... the one thing that gets me about them obsoleting at all is why would the advancement of technology ever reduce our research?

that gets me about them obsoleting at all is why would the advancement of technology ever reduce our research?

It wouldn't. But monastries wouldn't be as high a PERCENTAGE boost as they were in (say) the middle ages. Right now they add a percentage so its a mulitplying benefit as time goes on

Sure... but what I see as the alternative, a replacement upgrade building that lumps in all the monasteries would help to explain the movement of science generation from one source to another smoothly.

The difference is: obsolete then give access to another building that replaces its benefits and you lose those benes until the new building is built
from
obsolete buildings only once the buildings that outdate them are built.

I have tried out the idea of one cathedral per temple but only in if the city is of the right size. I decided to go with the requirement for cathedrals of temple and city administration building rather than just the population size. this is in the SVN for the "extra" religions.

I do need to change it to temple and ("city admin" or "metro admin" or "capital admin") which I think is possible. Plus do it for the std BtS and std RoM religions.

Since it's really hard to ban substances like Alcohol and Wine it might be an idea to keep them in Mormon Cities and add back the unhappy for them? Tobacco, Coffee and Tea are easier to effectively ban so those could be removed. Though didn't know Mormons forbade others to partake of those substances, only themselves. What about when a city has multiple religions? Should those be banned anyway?

And sorry for posting in the SVN but didn't know where else this would go.

Cheers

The arguments about banning can just as well be made about the unhappiness. Other mods that have gone the unhappiness route for religions end up with every resource causing unhappiness for some people.

Alcohol is no longer a resource it is a good, so it can't be banned anyway.:mischief:

Why are you linking it to the admin buildings rather than just adding the city size requirements?

Why not? The argument is that to build a cathedral you need to be a city. Population does not a city make. Lets face it the number of people required for a town to be called a city varies by country. A city in Australia would not be considered a town in Japan if you went by population.

But the admin buildings themselves are linked to the 6-13-25 thresholds, so all you're doing is putting the cart before the horse when it comes to the city=cathedral argument. The population requirement will be the same regardless.

HUH, i didnt see this thread, i must have been too tired. Oh this is what i put in the other thread:

I was wondering if you have changed the weight in them recently, because the AI is BEELINGING so fast towards them, i can't get any of them anymore, no matter how hard i try, heck they have Christianity before i even get a change to get Buddhism:sad:

HUH, i didnt see this thread, i must have been too tired. Oh this is what i put in the other thread:

I was wondering if you have changed the weight in them recently, because the AI is BEELINGING so fast towards them, i can't get any of them anymore, no matter how hard i try, heck they have Christianity before i even get a change to get Buddhism:sad:

I am still getting most of them, but it is tough. The only change has been to require the city admin building to be able to build cathedrals plus you only need one temple now rather than many.

Limited religions option makes the game more balanced and with less gold overflow because you don't build all religions' building which boost gold.

I am still getting most of them, but it is tough. The only change has been to require the city admin building to be able to build cathedrals plus you only need one temple now rather than many.

I hear ya, i just dont like it when i dont get Christianity or Voodoo, because i like the extra units at that level, i really like the Crusader, thats why i always go for Christianity, if other religions had something like this, then i wont give a hoot about Christianity. But thats just me.:cry::p

I hear ya, i just dont like it when i dont get Christianity or Voodoo, because i like the extra units at that level, i really like the Crusader, thats why i always go for Christianity, if other religions had something like this, then i wont give a hoot about Christianity. But thats just me.:cry::p

Other religions do have units, it is just the war like ones get the most.:mischief:

Limited religions option makes the game more balanced and with less gold overflow because you don't build all religions' building which boost gold.

I have to disagree.

You have to have the Right Civic to get the gold with or without Limited Religions. So it's Not the religion but the Civic that gives the gold for the most part.

And I have yet to see how Limited balances the game in any way. It's actually buggy from my past experiences with it.

JosEPh :)

I've often thought Islam needs it's own counterweight to the Crusader, the Jihadi. You could even reuse the graphics from AND's Fundamentalist Guerilla for the modern version.

Not so much gold as science. With most Monasteries giving +10% science output having several or more religions is in that respect overpowered.

That's one reason I've been trying to remove some religions now and then, though can't anymore as I'm on the SVN. Something still needs to be done about them though, which is why I suggested in the "Want to see this" thread that religions were dead end techs rather than required for the next religion.

Cheers

Not so much gold as science. With most Monasteries giving +10% science output having several or more religions is in that respect overpowered.

That's one reason I've been trying to remove some religions now and then, though can't anymore as I'm on the SVN. Something still needs to be done about them though, which is why I suggested in the "Want to see this" thread that religions were dead end techs rather than required for the next religion.

Cheers

You still can, if you make the MLF file in your playing folder read only after you turn off those religions you don't want. Unless you are turning off some of the standard RoM or BtS ones that is.

Personally, I liked it when the monasteries went obsolete as Scientific Method as it gave those who were behind a chance to catch up. It has been suggested that it drop to 5% as Scientific method then go altogether at a later point.

The Interfaith wonder spreads all religions to all cities, but what about religions or cities that are founded after that. Should the religions be spread to all cities and new or conquered barbarian cities also get all religions?

The MLF file isn't going to be changed anytime soon then? It's why I haven't removed any religions lately, in case the MLF file needs an update.

Cheers

Top Bottom