God & Kings Screenshot Analysis

That unit in Penicillin looks like a Marine to me.

It does for me too. However, I could see the Modern/WWII infantry as a possibility.

The symbol art doesn't always correspond with the unit graphic, but I wonder if anyone wants to compare this to the unit we've previously seen as the more modern looking infantry.

Good point about the spy, but I said Britain, not Great Britain, aka Britannia aka the southern part of GB that the Romans held during that period.

Well Britannia usually refers to the whole island, although admittedly the Romans did call their province Britannia. Anyway, that was a Roman name not a Celtic one.

If she's been confirmed as a leader of the Celts rather then just having the Celts confirmed in addition to having her confirmed separately, which seem to be the case, a fact that I had missed, then obviously I was wrong, but no, you did not point that out. You simply said "of the celts", which sounded like it was your guess about which civ she'd lead.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was trying to tell you she was leader of the Celts; I wasn't just speculating. You surely weren't expecting the Celts in addition to the ancient Britons, were you?

Finally, nice to see you're able to maintain a civil discussion rather then resorting to personal attacks. Saying "no offense" means absolutely nothing, it's just a phrase used when you know you're about to say something insulting and don't dare to stand up for it.

I wasn't trying to insult you, I was just frustrated that I kept repeating the same thing over and over again. As I said above, it was partly my fault for not being clear.

Re: The gold-colored civ's unit on the hill, the Impi symbol is usually their shield, so I think an argument can be made for the Mayans. I wish the picture were clearer, though.

The persecution and persistence of the Orthodox Churches is little understood or respected in the West.

Actually, I know it quite well. But I'd describe it more as a love-hate relationship. The persecution was certainly widespread as part of their official policy of atheism, but they also would try to use the church to their advantage at other points of Soviet history.

It's quite possible that we might get new leaders in addition tot he 9 civilizations, they never stated the number of leaders, only civs.

Civ 4 had multiple leaders for one civilization, which could mean that we might be getting new leaders (who have their own UA) for England.

It does for me too. However, I could see the Modern/WWII infantry as a possibility.

The symbol art doesn't always correspond with the unit graphic, but I wonder if anyone wants to compare this to the unit we've previously seen as the more modern looking infantry.

Here's what I posted in the 7 new screenshots thread. I think this covers the comparison to units we've seen in previous Civ games.

If you're referring to the new unit unlocked with Penicillin, I already posted that I think it's a Marine and others have said Guerrilla. I still say Marine, because both Civ 3 and Civ 4 had Marine units and neither had a unit called Guerrilla. In Civ 4, Guerrilla was one of the promotion types. In Civ 4 the Marine had a bonus vs Machine Guns. So with the addition of Machine Guns, I'd put my money on that unit being a Marine.

It's quite possible that we might get new leaders in addition tot he 9 civilizations, they never stated the number of leaders, only civs.

Civ 4 had multiple leaders for one civilization, which could mean that we might be getting new leaders (who have their own UA) for England.

I doubt it. Has any other Civ game besides Civ IV ever included more than one leader per civ? I don't think so. If they were going to introduce more than one leader per civ, they would have done so already I believe. I'm fine with one leader per civ anyway. The diverse civs are much more important to me than diverse leaders.

Plus in the modding section of the wiki, under Known Issues, it mentions that it's not possible to have more than 1 leader per civ.
Game doesn't support more than 1 leader per civilization

Symptom: Only the first leader assigned to a civilization is displayed in the game setup screen.

Cause: When the game builds the list of available civs/leaders it iterates through the civilizations and displays them without checking for multiple leaders:

Well I really hope that they change the name of Word War I Bomber. I'm 90% certain that they will though. I really like how creative they were with calling the new tank "landship". Did anyone figure out that building that Amsterdam is building?

Well I really hope that they change the name of Word War I Bomber. I'm 90% certain that they will though. I really like how creative they were with calling the new tank "landship". Did anyone figure out that building that Amsterdam is building?
My guess would be 'mass transit', it looks like a bus to me.

Since unique abilities are not associated with leaders, there's little reason to have more than one leader. However, I wouldn't use lack of mod support as a clue. Obviously, that's something that can be changed by Firaxis.

Since unique abilities are not associated with leaders, there's little reason to have more than one leader. However, I wouldn't use lack of mod support as a clue. Obviously, that's something that can be changed by Firaxis.

Actually that's an incorrect assessment. If you look in the traits file the UAs are assigned by the traits. Then if you look file for each leader you'll see the traits are assigned to that leader. Therefore all the UA's are actually part of the leader not the civ. However, because they've set-up the game to be 1 leader per civ, it just seems that the UA is for the civ.

So you could create a 2nd Roman civ with Julius as the leader and assign the Jade Scholar trait to him. This would give you a Roman civ with Korea's UA.

From the traits file, here's the Egyptian UA.
<Row>
<Type>TRAIT_WONDER_BUILDER</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_WONDER_BUILDER</Description>
<ShortDescription>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_WONDER_BUILDER_SHORT</ShortDescription>
<WonderProductionModifier>20</WonderProductionModifier>
</Row>
From Ramesses's file, this is where the above UA is assigned to this leader.
<Leader_Traits>
<Row>
<LeaderType>LEADER_RAMESSES</LeaderType>
<TraitType>TRAIT_WONDER_BUILDER</TraitType>
</Row>
</Leader_Traits>

So if they ever change the game to allow multiple leaders for each civ, we'd be able to play with the same UU/UB/UI, but different UA's.

Let me rephrase this. Regardless of what the xml files say, the unique abilities are not designed to correspond in any way to the leader in question, but to the civ as a whole. Otherwise, it would be absurd for Napoleon to have the unique ability of "Ancien Regime." He might have an ability of "destroyer of the Ancien Regime," but that's obviously quite different.

Likewise, the sun did absolutely set on the Kingdom controlled by Queen Elizabeth.

Adding new leaders would require rethinking all current UAs to tailor them more towards the leader.

You know, I gott aadmit, I hate the new civilization colors. I'm hoping that the Carthage (if that's who they are with the Attila's Court) gets a diffrent color, it's too much like Bismarck's. While the Netherlands, I don't like it, looks too childish.. especially the white font? ANybod agree?

Orange and White are the appropriate colours for William of Orange

Orange and Yellow would also work.

I guess I am bit harsh on those colours, I don't know why they bother me? Maybe they're too bright for me? I dunno.

But I am just hoping that Carthage (or whoever has those colours) gets changed. They are literally fugly.

Let me rephrase this. Regardless of what the xml files say, the unique abilities are not designed to correspond in any way to the leader in question, but to the civ as a whole. Otherwise, it would be absurd for Napoleon to have the unique ability of "Ancien Regime." He might have an ability of "destroyer of the Ancien Regime," but that's obviously quite different.

Likewise, the sun did absolutely set on the Kingdom controlled by Queen Elizabeth.

Adding new leaders would require rethinking all current UAs to tailor them more towards the leader.

Not to mention all the resources required to make them.

The voice acting, animations and full frame portrait interactions are really quite a nice thing to have that I find peering into the window frames of Civ3/4's diplomacy a bit strange and stuffy. I don't get the hankering for an alternate leader, maybe they'll make a DLC for them, but a loathe to think of new unique abilities for each and the balancing. The trade off for 1 leader that's more fleshed out with UA's for each civ paired with 2 UU / 1 UU/UB or 1UU/UI instead of civs picking from a buffet of traits seem like a huge step forward already. Maybe Civ6 will support 2 leaders and only launch with 8 Civs with the rest having to be DLC given people want all this content apparently :p

Top Bottom