[MOD] MagisterModmod

Skeet66, after a complete reinstall of civ4, bts, ffh2 and magister didn't help, I took your advice and used the cheat mode to change empires. I gained control of the one that was crashing the game and apparently didn't do what they did as the game proceeded. I then used the cheat mode to get the money the AI wasted on stupid upgrades of ~ 20 units. :( Anyway, thanks.

Hmm this is strange, do you have the latest magister mod?

Before I always used to crash on turn 285 no.matter.what. even if I had lower civs and small map.

With this new version I can play all civs with a large map and go past 400+ turns and I have 3g memory 32-bit windows 7.

I can help you with a temporary fix though as I had this once too.

Alright, when you hang again like that press ALT + Z i believe to switch to a new civ and the game should go on again(You can switch back later). You may have to activate the cheat mode first.

Try lowering your settings to lower settings and see if it does any good.

Also did you mod your game by any chance? Or maybe you're using a bad script map.

If nothing post your save-game and Magister might be able to see if there's a bug.

It's a fantastic modmod but,I've found a couple of little issues.
-Please add Winterborn to Willbowman since he's always lagging behind the rest of the Illian army (if you don't use siege weapons) and it really seems odd that the Illian troops have it but a Frost giant doesn't.
-When using "For the Horde" after Orthus is dead I get his Sluagh(sp?),which doesn't seem right.
-Is it WAD that the rift's have the same 9-tile AoE as nukes regarding borders and units.For example the usual CIV nuke wouldn't let me nuke a tile which has a friendly unit or border next to it.It seems odd that the rift reacts the same since it only affects the tile clicked on,not the bordering ones.
If I find anything else I'll let you know

This modmod is lots of fun, even if lots of things are laughably overpowered. The AI does seem to do significantly better than in base FFH2.

Anyway, handful of bugs, or perhaps unintended features:
Grigori Adventurers. Lots of craziness going on there. I only spawned 4 or maybe 5 adventurers over the course of the game the usual way, but naturally they were an unholy terror on the battlefield. Infinite free promotions from upgrading to Arcane line, then letting Something Completely Different trigger, is rather broken. Admittedly, the free promotions could only be used on Arcane-available promotions, but being able to obtain Combat I-V, Heroic Strength/Defense, and every available spell sphere for free, without combat, is quite broken. Note that Great Commanders combined with the Adventurer promotion meant their upgrades are entirely free.

Also, Resurrect seems to be acting strangely with Adventurers. I was able to repeatedly Resurrect multiple copies of them, with no apparent limit. Combined with free promotions from upgrading to Arcane line or Druids, it means infinite free Adventurers the moment you reach SoW or CwN. Unfortunately, I don't have any save files on this computer, but I think what was happening is that Something Completely Different was counting as a death, at least part of the time. I noticed occasional Soul Forge messages when no combat was occurring in my borders as well, presumably from the same source.

By freeing Brigit, Grigori can become Good and gain access to Paladins. Not sure if freeing Odio is possible, I didn't think to check. Somehow, having an army of Adventurer-Paladins led by Brigit seems out of character for the Grigori.

Grigori can still build Temples with captured Priests. Maybe add a requirement to the temple-founding spells to have the tech for the religion to prevent this?

Medic III isn't available to any unitclass, so there's not much point in having it enabled with Medicine. Is this intentional?

Acheron's breath fireballs are uselessly stupid. The AI seems to consider them as actual units rather than expendables, and doesn't use them for suicidal attacks, even if there's no other targets within range. I'm not sure if it does this with all summons, or if anything can be done about it.

Mercenaries appear to hire as UUs, in captured cities. This makes sense in most cases, but it's a bit odd to be able to hire mercenary Iron Golems.

Message for failed Domination still mentions losing the ability to cast it, rather than reflecting becoming Crazed.

Just copy one of your idea to my little version of ffh2, pobably will use more of them.(pobably just for me to play):D

I just uploaded another update. Contrary to previous claims, it probably will break saved games. It is still focused on making the scenarios compatible, but in the process I found a few other things I wanted to change. Most of these are minor bug fixes in CvSpellInterface.py.

The Citadel of Light (the Malakim's unique Citadel upgrade) now functions properly, attacking enemy units as they approach it and possibly scorching or causing smoke on the enemy unit's tile.

The Chancel of the Guardians improvement has been removed; it was not used in the game anyway, as there cannot be multiple upgrades to an improvement. (This was to be for the Elohim as the Citadel of Light is for the Malakim). Its job of stopping the spread of hell never worked well.

The Chancel of the Guardians building has been changed to sanctify nearby terrain every turn in much the same way that the Temples of the Hand turn terrain to snow.

The spread of hell was changed slightly. The most noticeable change is that Forests, New Forests, and Ancient Forests now change to Burnt Forests when hell spreads to their tiles instead of being destroyed completely. You may also notice that it now takes a couple turns for Infernal territory to turn to hell terrain.

Units controlled by the Mercurians lose the Unholy Taint promotion after a turn. Demons under their control also change their race to Angel.

I added a cage for hill giants, and made it one of the possible prerequisites for the Grand Menagerie.

Minor leaders have been added as leaders of the Random civilization. They should not show randomly show up in games any more than the Random Good, Random Neutral, or Random Evil dummy leaders do. The point of the change was to add them to the list of leaders that appear in the custom game screen, so that you may choose to manually place them in games using the unrestricted leaders option.

Most of the changes in this version are in the scenarios. I am fairly confident that all of the scenarios themselves are now fully functional if you launch them from their files directly. Tholal is still looking into the cause of an issue that causes the game to crash when you try to launch them from the scenarios screen as Kael intended.

In scenarios with randomized bonuses, python is used to assure that unique improvements and mana nodes still give the proper bonus. When hell terrain is allowed to spread, tiles that are supposed to start as hell have their plot counters increased.

The Gift of Kylorin now allows you to learn a spell from each of the 21 spheres, rather than only 6 of them. The treasure chests that teach the spells are named "Relic of ___," where the blank is filled by the name of the student of Kylorin that led the school for that sphere of magic. (This was mostly done to help me keep track of where each chest was to make sure that ScenarioFunctions.py referenced the right tiles, but it also seems thematically appropriate.) There are more barbarian units to fight. (Edit: The Relic of Greysun was supposed to be guarded by lightning elementals, but I just noticed that I accidentally wrote EQUIPMENT_LIGHTNING_ELEMENTAL instead of UNIT_LIGHTNING_ELEMENTAL. That stops the units from being placed on the map and generates an error in PythonErr.log, but does not cause any other problems.) Fireballs can keep the flying promotion, as walls are made impassible by having a minimum level requirement of 99. Dain starts at level 6 instead of 10, and keeps the Channeling and Arcane promotions so that he can level up. (They were removed in normal FfH2 because only the first level of each spell sphere requires mana there, and Kael did not want any spell sphere promotions to be purchased with xp.) He does not start with Extension 1, but can get to Extension 2.

The Grand Menagerie scenario has been adjusted so that my previous changes to the prerequisites of the Grand Menagerie wonder no longer prevent you from winning the game.

Beneath the Heel no longer has a python error every turn from trying to trigger a non-existent event to hire mercenaries. Instead, your capital just starts with the Guild of the Nine wonder so you can purchase mercenaries whenever you wish.

The Cult has been changed to include all the dragon bones, and allow all the dragons to awaken. Instead of needing to use the Enter Portal spell to get from the main map to the dungeon map, units that enter tiles with the appropriate Doors are moved automatically. The Flying promotion is no longer removed, but peaks and walls both have a minimum level of 99. Your AI allies should be able to help you in the dungeon now, although that does not mean they will help much. Auric must stay alive in this and pretty much all of his scenarios. He has his religion and his lieutenants to help him.

In Mulcarn reborn, players in the overcouncil's team has Overcouncil membership forced. The Auric, Anagantios, Dumannios, and Riuros units are avatars of their respective leaders.

The Splintered Court scenario now features an Umbrawood that is mostly Ancient Forests instead of regular forests. Settlers start with promotions to give them and (thus the cities they found) the appropriate religions. (Unfortunately, you have to wait a turn for them to actually convert, so you don't get the holy city for settling too soon.) Ljosalfar are not allowed in the Undercouncil with the Svartalfar. The player colors have been adjusted so that the Ljosalfar use three different shades of green and the Svartalfar three different shades of grey, rather than colors ranging from orange to blue.

The Radiant Guard now has both Basium and Hyborem units as avatars of their leaders. Hell terrain is allowed to spread.

The Wages of Sin scenarios now allow you to play as any civilization (good civs in one version, evil in the other). New TXT_KEYs were added for the Ljosalfar, Svartalfar, Infernals, and Mercurians. The appropriate Council Membership is now forced. The Infernal and Mercurians civilizations start smaller, while the Sheaim and Elohim start bigger. All city populations were increased by 1, so the smaller ones won't be automatically razed so soon. The Hyborem and Basium units are treated as avatars of their leaders. Hell terrain is allowed to spread.

The Lord of the Balors now includes the Elohim under Einion Logos as a new playable civ. Einion starts where Varn used to, and Varn now starts closer to the pass taken by souls who committed suicide (since he has a unique text for finding that pass). Players start with more units, and use Queens of the Line instead of Galleons to carry them all. All leaders have an avatar unit. Leaders start with State religions when appropriate. Settlers start with the promotions that give them the appropriate religions, so religions are founded with the first city. Religion founding gives more free units, including founding Fol or Rok (which will require research). There are a lot more Balors on the map. Donal Lugh is not the only prisoner you can rescue. The Pyre of the Seraphic, the Broken Sepulcher, the Ring of Carcer, and Laum Frigus can all be found on the map, if you know where to look. Hell terrain is allowed to spread.

Edit: I just discovered a couple minor issues in the Return of Winter scenario. The first is actually an issue with base FfH that I'm surprised no one has ever reported. The scenario's special rules state that you loose if the Illians are defeated, but that is not so. The python triggers your defeat when the leader Auric is defeated, even though the Illians are led by Braeden in that scenario. I have corrected this, and switched to use the Auric defeated text from Blood of the Angels instead of Against the Heel as it makes no sense to refer to the Doviello as mercenaries. The other issue is related to me changing Penguins from an improvement to a bonus and not remembering to change that in the scenario. That just makes them not be placed on the map and generates a notice in PythonErr.log, but does not really effect gameplay. What really surprised me is that the scenario seemed to launch fine from the scenario screen with this error but now crashes when I try to do the same thing after fixing it. Launching from the scenario file itself still works fine.

I notice that I've had 28 total downloads, but not yet a single comment. I suppose it is good if there are no bugs to report yet, but I'd still like come feedback.

First bug !

I was trying the Grigori with your last version. Two time my adventurer got a random dungeon effect without actually getting in a dungeon.

Here the save, with two signs. It's pretty problematic, since crazed adventurer is about the last thing you want as grigori, and I don't believe I will have the honesty to world build away all good stuff.

(I may make a more advanced analysis of what I like and dislike later, but here and now playing seem more important)

Attachments

• Grigori.CivBeyondSwordSave
    147.7 KB · Views: 31
That is not actually a bug. If you check the 'pedia, you'll find that it is intended for adventurers to randomly explore nonexistent lairs while in unowned terrain. This does not happen while they are in your territory (although they may revert to the adventurer unit if they stay in one place too long in your lands) or in rival territory.

The Spirit 3 spell can remove crazed. Commit to Asylum can too, but since the Grigori cannot convert to the Overlords you probably don't have an Asylum and leaving the unit in a city is not ideal either.

When in the wilderness, Adventurers have a habit of finding trouble and goign off exploring laris no one else even knows are there. When left at home, they tend to get board with their current jobs and abandon their posts. Although it can be annoying at times their lack of an attention span can serve you greatly, as they can continue to use their old skills when upgraded to a new unit class. They are also without fear and will do their jobs dutifully when in enemy lands.
(I just noticed and corrected the typos in this text.)

So, after a hundred downloads, no one has found any actual bugs? Not bad.

Actually, I have found a couple of minor bugs myself. There is a minor python error in spellRecruitMercenary if the unit does not have custom art. The code that was supposed to delete severed souls when their summoners dies was not working and needed to be somewhat rewritten, lest maps with the Sidar present become completely full of these invisible severed souls.

I decided to set various heroes as the avatars of their respective leaders when they are first created rather than adding a check in every scenario that contains such a unit. In Lord of the Balors the Balseraphs, Bannor, Elohim, and Malakim and been doing terrible jobs of defending their avatars (the fact that two of them are high priests that abandon them if they convert religions may be part of the problem; Lethe's suicide event is another possible cause), so I decided to remove them. I decided to allow Lanun units with the Boarding promotion have an ability to gain the HN promotion in order to board their Pirate ships. I decided to make the Sidar stronger in Against the Grey, and also let the Malakim and Calabim start with priests of the good and evil religions respectively.

That is not actually a bug. If you check the 'pedia, you'll find that it is intended for adventurers to randomly explore nonexistent lairs while in unowned terrain. This does not happen while they are in your territory (although they may revert to the adventurer unit if they stay in one place too long in your lands) or in rival territory.

Then, I will simply not play the grigori at all in your mod. Random dungeon encounter are just much too dangerous. Crazed is common enough when adventurer are supposed to be precious ; the risk of summoning some named uber unit that can stomp my civilisation in the early game is even worse. I do prefer to avoid playing russian roulette every turn.

As another side note, the Ljosalfar horse archer replacement unit tend to mean that Ljosalfar can't have horse archer on Erebus map, since deer is usually very far from the temperate forest where you usually begin. You may trade for it, but it's too scarce to be reliably done - especially since the AI is pretty aggressive. It's also strange because Deer is not supposed to be uncommon in thoses aforementionned temperate forest ; it's just that the ressource itself is placed on cold region, like in vanilla civIV.

As a last note, an option to lower the number of barbarian would be very sweet. FfH alway had the weakness of overdoing it with barbarian ; letting people decide to opt out of this would make thing more enjoyable.

The odds of having a random encounter are pretty low until the adventurer gains a lot of levels (which does not happen until you spend the xp to purchase promotions). If you don't like them, you can just choose not to let your adventurers spend time in unowned terrain. You could just leave them at home until your rivals' borders extend to touch yours. They neither adventure nor revert forms in rival territory, whether at war or peace.

I had nothing to do with the placement of Deer or them being a Fyrdwell prerequisite. That is from Base FfH2. When I looked in CIV4BonusInfos.xml I was rather surprised to see that Deer can only appear on Tundras. That does not make much sense to me, so I decided to allow them on Plains and Grassland Forests too. That should fix the problem on Erebus maps.

There is a No Barbarians option if you want the barbarians gone entirely. There is already a Raging Barbarian option and a Barbarian World option, so maybe the number of barbarians generated when those are off should just be reduced. I don't really know how to handle that, so maybe you should ask Tholal. I guess the only thing here I could do is take away the traits from the barbarian leader, but I prefer having that happen only at the death of Orthus.

I had nothing to do with the placement of Deer or them being a Fyrdwell prerequisite. That is from Base FfH2. When I looked in CIV4BonusInfos.xml I was rather surprised to see that Deer can only appear on Tundras. That does not make much sense to me, so I decided to allow them on Plains and Grassland Forests too. That should fix the problem on Erebus maps.

My supposition is that in base CivIV, deer is really caribou / reeinder, which make tundra-only logical.

There is a No Barbarians option if you want the barbarians gone entirely. There is already a Raging Barbarian option and a Barbarian World option, so maybe the number of barbarians generated when those are off should just be reduced. I don't really know how to handle that, so maybe you should ask Tholal. I guess the only thing here I could do is take away the traits from the barbarian leader, but I prefer having that happen only at the death of Orthus.

Thanks, I will ask if I am in the mood to plunge into the code.

The no barbarian option in FfH - like in vanilla civ - change too much the game. Having a solid reason to not use settler or worker as scout is pretty necessary, not to mention that it remove Acheron, which I am sure I will be one day able to tame enough time to see the rebellious promotio nremoved :)

I noticed that the sevopedia entries for the Paranoia spell and Chalid have missing text keys.

Also, a couple of very minor things from Wages of Sin. Would it be possible to make hippodromes require horses or nightmare, so that Infernal players (and eventually the other undercouncil civs) don't need to trade for horses. Lastly, regarding Rosier, is there a unique text pop-up for each of the civs that can use him, or is it just the one text for everybody?

I forgot that Kael never added a pedia entry for Chalid. Now that I think of it, I think I recall reusing the Gibbon Goetia entry (which includes both the Council of Esus and Empyrean heroes) for Chalid in an old (pre-More Naval AI) version of my modmod. I might do that again, I might borrow some Wages of Sin text, or I might borrow heavily from both to make a new entry from his perspective.

I am tempted to take a very different approach though. I might decide to write the tale of how he was a wicked Sheaim sorcerer that was sent to destroy the fledgling faith of Lugus, but instead wound up seeing the errors of his ways and becoming Varn's most loyal disciple. (It would probably borrow somewhat from the biblical story of how Saul was a persecutor of the early christian church until he was struck blind by a vision of Christ and then went on to be an apostle after having his sight restored.) Due mostly to his evil looking Tattos (which we know that Captain Mikel of the Radiant Guard had from being born the son of an Emyr) but also to his summoning ability, I have long liked to think that Astrakein was once a priest of Ceridwen. Kael never actually denied this, but since he also said nothing to confirm it I am hesitant to include it in a mod meant to stay faithful to canon.

(The tale could emphasize how the Empyrean, like the faith of Sirona and unlike the Order, is extremely forgiving to those who repent of their evil ways. Like the Order and unlike the followers of Sirona though, it is also a very harsh faith. Sirona offers unconditional forgiveness to unrepentant evil doers and hopes that this leads them to repent. Lugus expects the repentant to show the world that they have changed through their actions before granting any absolution. The sun sphere is manifest in feelings of guilt and remorse. Lugus continues to remind us of our sins in order to keep us vigilant lest we repeat them and to drive us to try to make up for past failures. )

I'd also forgotten about adding the Paranoia spell, and am not sure that I ever got it to work properly. I might end up deleting it rather than adding a pedia entry.

Unfortunately there is no way to use OR prereqs with buildings in xml. I could make the building require both horses and nightmares, but not give the option of one or the other unless I use python. Using python would also mean that the AI would not understand that it needs to get the bonus in order to build it, and would pretty much require that I change the strategy text to explain the prereq to humans. It would be much easier to give the Infernals a unique building that replaces the hippodrome and has a different bonus prereq. The easiest thing though would be to just remove the prerequisite.

I reused the Sheaim's Rosier text for the Infernals and the Elohim's Valin text for the Mercurians, but otherwise Rosier and Valin both have unique texts for each civilization in Wages of Sin.

Here some general observation, which for most part are not bad. I don't know much about the precise lore, so some may be logical with advanced lore knowledge.

* Kuriotates benefit from Fellowship of the leave far more than from any other religion. Guardian of nature essentially give infinite happiness, forest give usually more than enough health, and on top of that you can put cottage on forest, which mean that it's crazy on end game (4 food + 2 production + 6 gold ...) and pretty good on mid game.

* elven people tend to generate a lot of population because of ancient forest, which seem strange for elves, not a race usually associated with breeding like rabbit. Only Calabim and Kuriotate tend to generate even more population, while people like Grigori, Hippus, and co are usually far less populated.

* some thing would be far easier to understand with proper explanation on the sevopedia, like the Amurite and Kuriotate world spell, or how animal are selected with Call Animal

* Capital can be holy city even with other city, which I don't recall as being possible on vanilla Civ

* Call Animal can call an hawk. Usually it's just completely useless, and when you need an hawk you'd better build it than gamble for it (may be only on an "old" version).

* The Luchurip AI seem consistently more efficient than the other, most notably because she seem to be able to consistently copy all the promotion of Barnaxus on each and every golem. Since golem already are stronger than regular unit and Barnaxus tend to have more experience than random unit, it make them very hard to keep in check if you can't or don't want to assassinate Barnaxus as soon as possible. Other factor are possible, of course.

* on advanced start, civilisation with "special" starting unit like adept for Amurite don't get them. In the same way, if you discover first a religion, you get the holy city, the disciple, but not the priest unit. Not exactly something worth fixing :)

* the kuriotates have a nasty combo between creation spell I (Muse) and settlement in that you can use the only citizen of the settlement to be a merchant (with the slot provided by the Muse) which will be productive. It mean you can spam city to get gold per turn while keeping an handy reserve of adept.

* I believe having both level of creation mana being city-oriented and very powerful is too powerful. Adept are cheap, and reasonably quickly every city will get +10 food, +4 culture, and some specialist slot.

* ashen veil love the seemingly unnatural combo creation III + Sacrifice the weak, even if it is very costly. I haven't tired to see whether Lich can cast Creation III spell, but it seem not intended :)

* I have consistently seen the AI summon Basium, but never seen any Infernal player being created bu the AI. On the same idea, I have never seen the AC go over 25 if I wasn't actively trying to make it so. And in general, Evil civilisation tend to die and good civ tend to thrive. It may make philosophical sense, but it lessen tension. Admitely, I would like to see the AC going to at least 40 or 50 "naturally".

* The kuriotate Dragon put all other "uber" unit to shame, since it start with 15 more strength than the usual dragon and have all the utility promotion you need. However, you can't remove Crazed or Enraged from him with spell :(

* As Kuriotate, I have done Stir from Slumber while Auric had not killed any civilisation and Sheaim were not present at all. Drifa returned as a barbarian, while Abashi (that I was camping with 30 courage'd centaur) did not spawn.

* the Illians are artifically weakened as AI because they don't understand that Auric Ulvain is precious, so they suicide him on attacks. Not making it spawn or helding it in place may help.

* I have seen Malakim beating the Bannor by one turn to create Ashen Veil. I am not too sure what they were trying to do, especially since they did not propagate Ashen veil, create the holy building, or anything.

* I have seen multiple time the Sidar proposing me a deal for whale, then cancelling it the very next turn. Since I didn't care for the ressource, it was not problematic, but a bit strange.

* speaking of the Sidar, is there another use than obscuring again the map ? It seem very weak as world spell.

I hope that at least some of the feedback will be useful :)

The latest update seems to be causing a serious messing up of the Civilization.ini file with many duplicate lines and a big reduction in responsiveness. Mine was up to 90 some thousand lines. Also there was some binary material at the beginning of the file. Maybe it was just on my system.

After some editing of the ini file this problem has went away.

playign AV Calabim with latest version.
No issues with calabim (save that river of blood seems to come very late... but I managed)
-only that men-at-arms lose all morois advantages.... (maybe the moroi advantage could be a linked to a promotion so it keeps with upgrades ?)

issues :
-revolution. they suck. I find it is better to raze and send a settler than take the city.
Anyway the city keeps no buildings and that would help for removing the "nationality" factor in revolutions.
I didn't notice any temporary increas of stability by smashing the rebels.

-Moka cauldron and Necromancy Tower.
-mokas' cauldron is super good : nice to have the effect work if the cauldron is in the stack instead of linking it to a city.
the unit reborn loses all xp and promotion, but I expect it is supposed to work like that. (does the unit become a Sluagh ? or angel or infernal if those are here ?)
-horses losing the nightmare promo when turning undead and not gaining it back once in a city is not cool.

-Necromancy tower is nice and powerful
it even works on summoned skeletons and spectres ... nice.
however there was a bug... but I don't know in which direction it was a bug.
-using moka cauldron I suicided my low xp units (especially ritualists, adepts and captured doviello axemen) to transform them into demon/undead unit because I didn't want to lose them all at high AC (I plan on increasing the AC). (I can't do it with high lvl units as they.... lose all xp and promotions)
-when necromancy tower was built... those "ex-living but rendered undead" units gained 5 free promotions. (eh... I've got many necromancy manas.)... same as the already existing diseased corpses and summoned skellies.

BUT... when I tried to exploit this little effect thereafter (I even planned by teching and building some fast horses and some new ritualists, get them to the front, suicide attack... as the issue with undead is slowness.. so I wanted to alleviate it with undead horses)... well I encountered problems.
None of the new units created by the moka cauldron did get the free promotions from the necromancy tower.

so either all undead units getting the promotions at tower creation is a bug
OR
moka-created units not getting the free promotions is a bug.
(it was especially disastisfying as I sacrificied 10xp units (ritualists) with the +50%of AC strength... and nightmare promotion... to get.. undead horsies and ritualists without xp, without ANY promotion...bleh)
(it seems that this one is the bug as summoned skellies and spectres get the free promotions).

I want to add something.
I got used (in RifE) to have hast being "steadyied" while a caster with bodyI was on the stack.
going back to micro-managing hast is a pain in the butt. (well, you can do nice trick with it such as moving farther than a +1mvt should allow if you cast after moving first.. .. but on the whole, even those gain are not worth the pain of the micromanagement.)

River of Blood now boosts all of your vampiric units instead of your cities' population, so you want it to come late enough that you have some vampires. I guess I could move it back to Feudalism though, or perhaps remove the tech prereq entirely and instead make the Vampire promotion a prereq. I just noticed that its python prereq still makes the AI check things about its cities that no longer matter. I think I'll change that to instead make them check that they have multiple vampires.

Revolutions issues should be taken up with Tholal. I have tried to do what I can to scale them back (like making civics grant lesser penalties and buildings greater bonuses) but I agree that they still seem a bit much. At least there is a game option to turn them off.

I'll see about increasing the chance of keeping various buildings.

The Tower of Necromancy grants free promotion picks to already existing units through python code placed under def onBuildingBuilt(self, argsList): when it is built and then to new units under def onUnitCreated(self, argsList): when the units are initialized. (The Tower of The Elements works the same way.)

Mokka's Cauldron initializes a new unit and then grants it the Undead promotion, but since they do not have the promotion when first initialized like units that have the undead promotion set in their xml defines do they get no advantage from the Tower. Conversely, units summoned by a caster that has the Unholy Tint promotion are given the Demon race, but since this replaced Undead after the unit is initialized they still get the free promotion picks.

Unfortunately there is no def onPromtionApplied(self, argsList): so there is no easy way to give the promotions to all the right units. I could however add a couple lines of code within the Mokka's Cauldron code that checks to see if the units owner has a Tower of Necromancy and grants free promotion picks there if it does.

The "steadied" promotions rely on SDK changes that my mod does not include and will not include unless you convince Tholal to include them in More Naval AI, since I use his DLL rather than compiling my own.

I have a question. Is there any added requirement for freeing Brigit above being lvl 14+ ? I have seen you suggest that it would be only doable by good leader, but I can't find this for this mod.

okay MagisterCultuum
that explain things.

thanks for the explanations.

for revolutions ... I don't understand how it works, so I don't now what to do to fight it back. Maybe that's the worse.
Maybe what's missing is a way to temporary placate the guys. I dunno. a ritual / project, a golden age, paying big bucks, going at 50%culture for a few turns.. anything that will let you get the time for your counters (summer palace, dungeons, culture...etc) to have an effect.
maybe ther could be one more governement civic that reduce instability (currently only liberty (or democracy) does this... but it is very late game. Maybe it should be "city states : lotsa decrease of instability, rise in maintenance or costly civic)

for moka: ok, I understand. thx. next time I'll build the tower of necromancy AFTER I have my huge undead army... instead of before (I thought at first that it would only work on units created after the tower...)

Freeing Brigit requires Fanaticism, and Freeing Odio requires Rage. You should be able to see that in the civilopedia.

Since the release I also gave the units themselves those tech prereqs so they would show up in the tech tree and remind people of the techs requires to free them.

I don't claim to be an expert on revolutions myself. I'm not even sure that Tholal fully understands this component that he included in his modmod.

These are the tags that civics can have which are relevant to revolutions.
Code:
						<!-- Revolution Mod Start -->
						<iRevIdxLocal>1</iRevIdxLocal>
						<iRevIdxNational>1</iRevIdxNational>
						<iRevIdxDistanceModifier>20</iRevIdxDistanceModifier>
						<iRevIdxHolyCityGood>5</iRevIdxHolyCityGood>
						<iRevIdxHolyCityBad>0</iRevIdxHolyCityBad>
						<iRevIdxSwitchTo>200</iRevIdxSwitchTo>
						<fRevIdxNationalityMod>0</fRevIdxNationalityMod>
						<fRevIdxBadReligionMod>0</fRevIdxBadReligionMod>
						<fRevIdxGoodReligionMod>0.2</fRevIdxGoodReligionMod>
						<fRevViolentMod>0.5</fRevViolentMod>
						<iRevReligiousFreedom>0</iRevReligiousFreedom>
						<iRevLaborFreedom>-10</iRevLaborFreedom>
						<iRevEnvironmentalProtection>-1</iRevEnvironmentalProtection>
						<iRevDemocracyLevel>0</iRevDemocracyLevel>
						<bCommunism>0</bCommunism>
						<bFreeSpeech>0</bFreeSpeech>
						<bCanDoElection>0</bCanDoElection>
						<!-- Revolution Mod End -->

I'm not sure that the code as Tholal implemented it even reads things like bCommunism though.

I believe that positive numbers make revolutions more likely and negative numbers make them less likely. Looking back at the CIV4CivicInfos.xml, there area lot more positive than negative numbers. I'll play around with changing that.

(It does not appear that Liberty is the only civic that currently reduces instability tough. Arete reduced both national instability and instability based on the distance from your capital. Crusade decreases local and natinal instability. Guardian of Nature reduces national instability. Republic reduces local, national and distance based instability. Pacifism reduced local and national instability.)

Top Bottom