The cost of living.........

david1806

Warlord
Hi all (again :rolleyes:)

Sorry for the questions, but it's my first proper game of Civ V! I do have a little root about for the answer before posting (honest!).

Anyhow, is there any place I can find out how much things will cost to buy? I need to change what some of my cities are building and buy some military units, but I have no clue what the cost is going to be.

I'm guessing there is no "fixed price", but even so, a rough idea would help. Say for example, is it possible to work it out from how many production points it costs a unit to be built?

An answer to this would be really appreciated..... :help:

Thanks in advance
David

Unit prices don't change unless you get Big Ben, then they go down (and maybe another policy?). Go to city screen first. If you scroll over an unit/building, you can see how many hammers it costs to build it (production). Then look at how many hammers your city is producing and do the math. It will tell IMO

I just saved the game so I could have a play around. First, I've just found out that if a unit is already in your city you can't build another one, but anyway, I've gone to another city, and tried to buy a horseman. They cost 75 PP to produce normally. I have 430 GP and 85 FP. When I click on purchase, nothing happens! It doesn't tell me I don't have enough, or anything...what am I missing here? Surely I have enough gold?

And you say do the math - what math? If something cost 75 PP to produce, what math do I do to work out the cost to buy.....?

I really need to buy some units otherwise Sweden are going to take over my city!!

D

AH, I GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you hit purchase, it is not purchasing the item being built, you have to then click on the item you want, and it tells you the prices!!!!

Of course, all you guys & gals know this (do we have any ladies here :) ) but there we go!!!

Sorry to bother you all!!

David

Unit prices don't change unless you get Big Ben, then they go down (and maybe another policy?). Go to city screen first. If you scroll over an unit/building, you can see how many hammers it costs to build it (production). Then look at how many hammers your city is producing and do the math. It will tell IMO

Big Ben gives a 15% discount on everything.

Commerce -> Mercantilism gives a 25% discount on everything

Autocracy -> Militarism gives a 33% discount on units

Anyhow, is there any place I can find out how much things will cost to buy? I need to change what some of my cities are building and buy some military units, but I have no clue what the cost is going to be.

I'm guessing there is no "fixed price", but even so, a rough idea would help. Say for example, is it possible to work it out from how many production points it costs a unit to be built?

There generally *is* a fixed price for purchasing an item - it is normally based on the number of hammers/production that is required to build.

*However*, some items (especially a lot of the buildings in the early game) have an added rush cost, which you can find in the source code.

Hi

For those interested - I just kicked some Swedish ass!!! They came, they saw, they got battered!! Not only did I wipe out most of the army he sent to me, when asking for peace he gave me all his gold (nearly 500 GP) and SIX horses!! So, in the next ten turns, I'm going to use those horses to build units and then go and wipe him of the face of the earth (well, try anyway).........

By the way, the ten turn thing, does that mean I simply cannot declare war on him full-stop, or is it something else........??

How satisfying.......jeez, I love this game, but I GOTTA go to bed, it's 01.25am and I got to be up for work!!

D :) :) :)

Um, don't use his horses to build units to attack him. The moment you DOW him, you lose the horses and your horse units will suffer a strategic resource penalty, making them somewhat less effective than cardboard cutouts of horse units.

EDIT: And on the 10-turn peace treaty, you are incapable of DOWing him or taking any action that amounts to a DOW (attacking a unit, seizing a settler or worker, etc.) for 10 turns. I believe you can still use a GG to create a citadel to steal tiles.

Browd....THANKYOU!! That's exactly what I would have done!! So let me get this straight. He has given me horses, so what exactly can I do with them? And if I did DOW, you say I lose my horses and suffer a strategic penalty....if I've lost them, are they not just gone, I don't get how they would then suffer anything...excuse the dumb question :)

Anyway, now I am going to bed!!

D
see you tomorrow no doubt!!! Night all!!!

Taking his horses does two good things:
  • Temporarily denies him use of his horses so he can't build horse units (unless he has horses from another source, like an AI trade or CS ally). Once you DOW him, he gets his horses back, but hopefully without enough time to deploy new horse units to counter you (and if he does, just beeline for his horse tiles and pillage them ASAP), and

• Allows you to build horse units to support your war against a different AI, hopefully one with an independent source of enough horses to support your units. Once you've secured that second source of horses, you can DOW your previous horse supplier without having to worry about a strategic resource penalty.

With how city capture still works in Civ V, the best feature of most mounted units isn't their combat strength, it is how many movement points a turn most mounted units have.

Consider that once you reduce a city to zero hit points, any melee attack is guaranteed to seize the city, regardless of how weak the melee attack is. Yes, technically, you can use Scouts to capture cities in the Modern and Future eras.

Thus, the strategic penalty that you may suffer for going to war with the Civ that gave you horses is nearly meaningless, because the strategic penalty only affects combat strength, not movement points.

Um, don't use his horses to build units to attack him. The moment you DOW him, you lose the horses and your horse units will suffer a strategic resource penalty, making them somewhat less effective than cardboard cutouts of horse units.

EDIT: And on the 10-turn peace treaty, you are incapable of DOWing him or taking any action that amounts to a DOW (attacking a unit, seizing a settler or worker, etc.) for 10 turns. I believe you can still use a GG to create a citadel to steal tiles.

You can get around the 10 turn thing with defensive pacts and by jointly declaring wars, I think. I know it's so for the latter.

First, I've just found out that if a unit is already in your city you can't build another one, but anyway, I've gone to another city, and tried to buy a horseman.

And of course you can move the unit out of the city to buy a unit in any (non :c5puppet:) city you want. I wasn't sure if you realized that by the way this was worded.

Welcome to the fold, and let me know how it turns out for you.

Top Bottom