Orbis - the original thread

I can try to write a few pedia entries too you know, except that I have no idea how to, except by showing you what I am going to write and asking you to apply it the next save :).

I will take care of the technical stuff.
In fact it is really easy, I use excel civ xml editor. The most up to date version is always (well, almost...) linked in the first post - look for Orbis.xlsm. So you can just look for the missing (with just the name in it) _PEDIA entries and write there. Preferably mark it with red or any other visible colour to make it easier to find.

But if you do not want to, just provide me the text in any format and I will add it.

I did forget to mention! There needs to be faster methods of travel available earlier. I was fairly late in the game and still travelling on 2 movement roads. 3 or even 4 movement shouldn't be some kind of special advantage one has to beeline for, but a given for being so far along... QUOTE]

This assumes you play larger maps. On small maps, a 3 - 4 movement would break balance. Can you imagine Hippus commando's on such a system...

On .22a, some of the new leaders have solid color snapshots in the play now menu, is it just me?

Just curious if these things are design choices or bugs:
Ratcatchers can't enter hostile cities unless they are empty - they try to attack instead.
Dungeons give +25% in all cities you have - kinda cool actually if overpowered

Gotta say I really enjoy your version of FFH; it feels a lot like the Age of Ice scenario used to.

Ratcatchers can't enter hostile cities unless they are empty - they try to attack instead.

Gotta say I really enjoy your version of FFH; it feels a lot like the Age of Ice scenario used to.

that ratcatcher seems to be a problem...

Resources - I am not sure if corporations + described effect is not too much. But in general, I think it is nice. Maybe limit the effect to 3% or just add some small yield (like 1 :hammers: per every copper instance)

Great People - I am not sure. I think that having one cultures influence other chances of getting GP might be too hard on the ones weaker in this field - basicaly philosophical etc take all. Also, Grigori world spell would end up useless.
I agree that late game uit is really hard to get a great person, plus it is currently best to have one GP city farm.
But maybe lower the treshold, so the next ones will not be that much more expensive?
They need to be somehow, late game there are many ways to gate these GP points.

Culture - nice, but would it not make foregin culture cities foreign for ever? I think the current way of changing culture is good. But culture from trade sounds interesting

Processes - currently they are not that usefull, might use some improvement.

In general nice ideas, I will have to take a look at your mod.
But as I have already said, new big features are on hold due to my work, so you would be on your own adding them ATM. But I am byno means done with Orbis :D

The changes for resources were pre-BTS, but corporations are a late-game mechanic. This helps the mid game quite a bit by making trade/diplomacy more important for those odd resources (copper, after iron is in use, marble, and all of those food resources if your health is otherwise overflowing in most cities). I made the changes +% based rather than be a flat bonus, as flat bonuses to tend to favor city spam and cramming them closer together to benefit more from these kinds of changes. That is, I wanted to stick with the Civ4 changes of encouraging fewer, bigger cities.

The great people change actually works pretty well: The amount that everyone else's GPP goes up by a smaller amount than their own, so it's not totally possible to hog GPP. The amount of GPP required per person is increased (by 2x as much), but as it goes down 1% per turn, eventually it becomes affordable. The game already has a scaler built in so the GPP required per person increases after every 10th great person born. That is, the 1st GP increases the GPP by 100. The 11th increases the GPP by 200. The 21st by 300, etc. The basic effect of the change is even if it gets to the point where 2000 GPP are required, on the next turn only 1980 will be required. And so on. Like I said, it keeps GP coming in late game without having to significantly ramp up the amount of GPP genererated (especially if you're lagging behind and can't spam wonders).

For culture, the way I did it is your city generates a certain percentage of culture as "pure" culture, the rest is all based on the nationality percentage. So eventually, without any outside influences, a city will turn more towards your culture. This percantage is configurable in the xml. However, flipped cities will already have a head start. Conquered cities will have an uphill battle, but that's one of the problems of conquest. In FFH, this could open some interesting situations where a civ might want to initiate some "ethnic cleansing" to root out foreign culture. Perhaps limited only to evil civs, but that's separate from the culture model.

I did what I did with processes because it was a nice way to build up cities indefinitely without having to add tons of buildings and still potentially run out of them. In FFH I often get in a situation where there's nothing left for my cities to build and the tech is coming so slowly the only thing I can build is research or just mass military (which promptly gets annihilated because of the collateral damage problems mentioned earlier).

Well one thing about Great People I'd like to see changed is for fireballs to quit helping my opponent gather points for a Great General. Killing live units or summoned units is one thing but a defending unit doesn't 'kill' a fireball.

On .22a, some of the new leaders have solid color snapshots in the play now menu, is it just me?
Is all other graphics (i.e. barbarian warrior and especially troll caves) ok? The leaders work fine for me.

Bugs, no doubt. Both fixed in b (out today)
The entering city is common to all invisible units - they can be on the same tile with enemy units, but can't nter them unless combat is 0 or thy have already attacked. So far not fixed in FfH. Did not check FF for it, but doub it.
Well one thing about Great People I'd like to see changed is for fireballs to quit helping my opponent gather points for a Great General. Killing live units or summoned units is one thing but a defending unit doesn't 'kill' a fireball.
Great general points come from units gaining experience, and they get xp for surviving the fireball. Does it sound better?
Do you want surviving it not grant xp? It might be possible...

@Mylon
After your explanation, I like the ideas more. I agree on the % bonuses from resources. It might be used for mana, too. More food from water mana, commerce/hammers from enchantment - seems right.
Still I will have to check the mod when I have time to see the other things for myself...

Bugs, no doubt. Both fixed in b (out today)
The entering city is common to all invisible units - they can be on the same tile with enemy units, but can't nter them unless combat is 0 or thy have already attacked. So far not fixed in FfH. Did not check FF for it, but doubt.

Egads! Please don't say this will break saves! I can't finish games before you great modders patch them out of existence! :hammer2:

Great general points come from units gaining experience, and they get xp for surviving the fireball. Does it sound better?

It sounds better. However, the only question I have is do units gain experience when attacked via off-shore bombardment, siege engines and archers? If not, then the game mechanics just nerfed players who use a lot of fireballs instead of those other avenues in sieges.

BTW, did we ever 'resolve' the question of how to properly fiddle around with music, in that is there a step by step process written down somewhere or is it just a matter off dropping the appropriate type of music (MP3, right?) into the right folder and the game will just scroll through what ever is playing?

I ask this since I don't think just tell the game to play music on my computer is going to work since it's in the iTunes AAC format and not MP3 so if I want to add music, I'll have to add it to my computer again in that format.

Uh oh, I got one of the best starts ever (well not really but the best of the last 5 games I played.) Hope that b does not break saves

HMM.... that's weird, I am getting consistent CtDs I got the save a few turn before the crash, could someone please identify the problem? My bet is with the huts guarded by skellies, I get the bug straight after the soundtrack you get when you pop a hut.

Attachments

• Amurite.CivBeyondSwordSave
    408.5 KB · Views: 44
Good Job. Here's some notes I took playing patch a for 100 turns or so and flicking through the Civilopedia.

* Dereptus Brewing House - Shouldn't this require a Brewery first?

* Battering Ram - Sid's (Kael's?) Tip explain all about it being a Khazad only item, even though I built it as the Svarts.

* The effect "Trade overseeing" might sound better as "Oversee trade"

* Likewise, I think "Forester" might sound better as Lodge. (A forester, or verderer, is the person who manages the forest.) A requirement of FoL seems reasonable too.

* The Svarts world spell had been malformed with /LINK on the end of the mouseover display text.

* "Expanded influence" ought to read "Expanded Influence" (Capital I on second word)

* Poleaxeman sounds like a cut-price Swiss superhero - especially odd considering it's a Khazad unit, which I guess makes it's Poleaxedwarf :) How about something more fantasy like "Jaws of Iron" or somesuch? (Heck you could even add a backstory about how the Khazad drove back a boar-rider raid and note that when they raised their polearms on top of the hills looked like the teeth of some subterranean horror)

* Trophies - Any plans to add the Mechanos / Mazatl / Scions to the Trophy room?

* Mutiny - I didn't understand this promotion when I read it in the Civilopedia. It seemed to happen automatically if my squire got too experienced. How does it *actually* work?

* Espionage - Great job. See my comments in Alzara's thread for some cool ideas. Also you can enable Espionage for "building" in the same way you can build pure Research, Culture or Wealth by hacking the civ4processInfo.xml under Gameinfo. I recommend Deception as a suitable tech for building espionage.

* Orthus - I got two pop-ups instead of one. Off-topic idea - how about awarding the Adventurer Promotion to the Unit which kills Orthus / Archeron / Horsemen. This feels somewhat fitting.

* Final off-topic idea: How about a Palantir of Visions treasure which grants an Espionage bonus in the city in which it is placed (much like the Lyre provides a Culture boost)

Uhh comeon! My save seems to work now.

A couple of quick comments based on the posts relating to the latest version.

1) Volva

The wikipedia page you linked to said that Vala was a literary form of the same name, so you could consider that.

2) Fireballs

The problem is that FfH treats fireballs as summoned units, like spectres, elementals, etc., so it considers an attack by a fireball to be actual combat, resulting in xp gain if you "kill" the fireball. In a different thread a long time ago it was suggested that fireball should be a direct damage spell rather than a summon, just using a fireball graphic. Something to consider.

3) Food from trade routes

There was a thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=295822) on this a few months back. I happened to be the one who started the thread, but I'm not tooting my own horn here: there were a number of comments and some interesting ideas that you might want to consider.

That's it. Nice work, as always.

Good Job. Here's some notes I took playing patch a for 100 turns or so and flicking through the Civilopedia.

Thanks for the tips. I applied most of tyhem, but no way lodge will require FoL. Ancient forests are good enough.
Also, renamed poleaxeman to ironbreaker ;)
Last time I checked, trophies were in and worked...

* Mutiny - I didn't understand this promotion when I read it in the Civilopedia. It seemed to happen automatically if my squire got too experienced. How does it *actually* work?
Did you get it without a knight status? If so, I need more info, possibly a save.
There are actually 3 mutiny promotions - one for good knights, one for evil ones and one for emerald. If you change your state religion to one that opposes knight's order (that means AV or Order in case of Emerald Knight), mutiny promotion is gained as long as you persist in your errors. The unit is controlled by the AI and has 10% chance to go barbarian.

By th way, I forgot to add it to 0.22 changelog I think, but you can't build druids while running AV or Order. If you can, it is a bug

* Espionage - Great job. See my comments in Alzara's thread for some cool ideas. Also you can enable Espionage for "building" in the same way you can build pure Research, Culture or Wealth by hacking the civ4processInfo.xml under Gameinfo. I recommend Deception as a suitable tech for building espionage.

* Final off-topic idea: How about a Palantir of Visions treasure which grants an Espionage bonus in the city in which it is placed (much like the Lyre provides a Culture boost)
Glad you like it, and I like the idea of building espionage. Deception might not be best because of the agnostics, but otherwise deception it is.
I like the palantir idea. Might be a special loot from Tower of Eyes, or just buildable one.

Patch B is ready. It does not break saves.

0.22 b
Fixed automation interrupions
Generals can lead troops once again (broken by 0.22)
Fixed Clan berserker animation
Dungeon and gallows boost espionage points only in cities they are build in
Ratcatcher offensive strength changed to 0 (so they can enter cities without fight). Defensive is still 3.
Cult of the dragon will now be founded for the first valid player (Sheaim, Kuriotates, Mazatl) that researches mysticism or in the city that builds Acheron.
Held units can cast spells (so Acheron will use roar or meteor shower, Korrina will be able to cast while shackled etc.). Other immobile units still can't
Text fixes
Poleaxeman renamed ironbreaker, forester to forester's lodge, Volva leader to Völa
Removed duplicated popups for Acheron and Orthus

Also, I have to attach it somewhere, so here is fixed save for Yan Tsi

Attachments

• Viconia AD-0541fixed.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
Is all other graphics (i.e. barbarian warrior and especially troll caves) ok? The leaders work fine for me.

Yes, other graphics are fine just the leader buttons weren't showing up I guess.
EDIT: Same thing after updating to b, not a big problem though. Tried clearing custom assets, but to no avail.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 70
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 69
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 66
Two things before I move Patch B to my other machine and give it a try.

I have attached a game under Patch A. I was playing as Doviello and just as I got a announcement that the Amurites had declared war on me (I heard the trumpets but before the leader pop-up) I had a CtD.

Plus, the info for the pop-up when you build Kithra is still missing info.

Also, anyway to disable the minor leaders when choosing "random" leaders? I mean playing against minor leaders sort of doesn't seem fair. Of course I guess it would be nice for going up a level in difficulty and then only playing against Minor Leaders. :D

Yes, other graphics are fine just the leader buttons weren't showing up I guess.
EDIT: Same thing after updating to b, not a big problem though. Tried clearing custom assets, but to no avail.
I think I know what happened. You have installed 0.22 on top of 0.21, am I right? Or uninstalled and did not remove the Orbis folder (that may cause some problems, as Uninstaller does not remove files that were non-existant in base install, but came with patches.
To cure it, uninstall, then remove Orbis folder and then reinstall and patch. That should help.

I have attached a game under Patch A. I was playing as Doviello and just as I got a announcement that the Amurites had declared war on me (I heard the trumpets but before the leader pop-up) I had a CtD.
No crash for me - Vallaedia declared war just fine. I tested it on B, but there is nothing that should affect it.

Plus, the info for the pop-up when you build Kithra is still missing info.
The reason is, it was not written yet... ;) A field to express your inner writer... (hint hint)
Also, anyway to disable the minor leaders when choosing "random" leaders? I mean playing against minor leaders sort of doesn't seem fair. Of course I guess it would be nice for going up a level in difficulty and then only playing against Minor Leaders. :D
A good point and I did not think about it. The short answer is no. The long one - I will try to find a way, but so far no idea.

Why I as a player should want to be cult of the dragon follower?
What I can get from CotD?
Gains from other religions have been discussed, but CotD remains a mystery so far...

Top Bottom