BNW is the final expansion

On Topic
The question should really be, if there was another expansion, what should it focus on? Or should it be more like a Test of Time?

What it should focus on, I don't know. But on the side I think it would be cool if they added some sort of map maker, wonder maker, unit maker and other built-in purely "immersive" elements. I know it's never going to happen and that the designers should be spending their money on much more important things but just a pipe dream

What it should focus on, I don't know. But on the side I think it would be cool if they added some sort of map maker, wonder maker, unit maker and other built-in purely "immersive" elements. I know it's never going to happen and that the designers should be spending their money on much more important things but just a pipe dream

You can make maps in the World Editor, just download it from I think "tools" in steam, on your games tab.

Two expansion packs seems to be the norm for Civ games, so it wouldn't surprise me if Brave New World is the last one for Civ5. Like Shirk said in that interview, G&K focused on the early game, so BNW will focus on the late game. The cultural enhancements seem quite intriguing. I still would have loved to see them try for some more industrial/commercial enhancements like what they tried to do with Corporations in Civ4. Maybe they'll take another crack at that in Civ6. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7PP2o9njuA

Ed's Closing comments in this interview "Curse Entertainment", IMO, strongly indicate that there will be an Expansion/DLC after BNW!

Q: "Any hints on what your next project might be within the Civ universe?"

A: "okay, well I dont think Im actually allowed to answer that right now....but......Im happy to tell you that we feel like there are all sorts of amazing new avenues and paths that we can take with this franchise......uh we've been able to explore a bunch of new directions with Brave New World, not only bringing you new civilizations that have never been in the series before......but with systems like archeology and great works.....those are brand new systems that have never been in the series either aaaand so we're looking forward to trying other new things as we go forward."

Buuuut, then again, his use of the word "franchise" could indicate they are looking forward to move on to Civ VI........which I would not be upset about in any way! :D

funny the curse gameing interview with the dev , asked if they had palns for what comes after bnw. the dev indicated that they had plans but unable to discuss at this time

edit.. damit. kingC beat me to it :p

Buuuut, then again, his use of the word "franchise" could indicate they are looking forward to move on to Civ VI........which I would not be upset about in any way! :D

I definitely got the vibe that this implied BNW would be the last of CiV (barring a massive wave of success and expansion demand)

I really do get the feeling that Firaxis is going to announced an Alpha Centauri-like project in the relatively near future. Zac Minor from Revision3 did say there was another Firaxis project announcement coming soon, and note the motto from the Firaxis poster they're showing around a lot lately: "Once you've conquered Earth, it's time to bring on the galaxy."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7PP2o9njuA

Ed's Closing comments in this interview "Curse Entertainment", IMO, strongly indicate that there will be an Expansion/DLC after BNW!

English isn't my first language so I might not always get all the nuances and details, but I hope really that he want's to push Civ V even further with a 3rd expansion.

The graphics are awesome so I don't in a couple of years that part could be really put any forward.

I bet we will hear from new X-Com expansion soon too..

Civ5 needs 1 more expac hopefully and then Alpha Centauri returns!!!

I think this should probably be the final expansion. How many more civ's can we even add? How many more concepts should be frankensteined onto the base game? I want BNW to do to Civ5 what BtS did for Civ4 by putting the final touches into the game, and calling it done.

2K is going to want Firaxis to put out another big title soon, and I would personally prefer they do it while they have Ed working for them because I want to play the game that he wants to make.

What exactly can they make in Civ VI. Improved graphics won't really be anything exciting considering Civ V looks perfectly fine and is now ageless compared to the other four.

Bring on more expansion packs and keep the game alive for 2-5 more years.

What can they do in a Civ 6 that they cannot do in Civ 5? Why work on another game when this one is still successful! If the next project is Alpha Centauri 2, that would be great. If not, keep squeezing money out of 5...

There's plenty of room to expand the influence of city-states/barbs on the game. It's something that's been brought up as a suggestion for an expansion but for it to be effective I think it would require the kind of overhaul that would be better suited for a numbered entry.

What exactly can they make in Civ VI. Improved graphics won't really be anything exciting considering Civ V looks perfectly fine and is now ageless compared to the other four.

Bring on more expansion packs and keep the game alive for 2-5 more years.

Well, they could bring a new game core to replace this broken one, and make the next Civ to be something more than a shallow war game. But of course this is a matter of opinion.

Ok here's a small part from the Game Informer article, Dennis Shirks doesn't say no, but doesn't say yes.. :p What do you think this means? He knows SOMETHING but clearly can't talk about it.

Strategy Informer: Looking to the future then, would you want to look at the other areas and expand on them as well? I guess all that’s left is Technology, Domination to a point and then Score. If you count that.

Dennis Shirk: Possibly… I mean we’re coming to the point with Brave New World.. I mean you know how Beyond the Sword felt when it came out? It felt like this complete experience… so we’ll have to see what the fans think when it comes out, but we’d like to think that this is going to be one of things that just wraps it up as a complete experience. The beauty of Civ is though is that we’re talking about the expanse of human history, there’s always something else you can add to the game. I can’t talk too much about the future, in terms of specifics, but I think it all comes down to what the fans will be thinking, whether they’re like “this is rock solid, this is exactly where I want it to be”.

This is why I love the civ team. They really care. I don't think I hear any other teams mention the word "fans" as much as Ed and Dennis do in their interviews

Dennis Shirk: Possibly… I mean we’re coming to the point with Brave New World.. I mean you know how Beyond the Sword felt when it came out? It felt like this complete experience… so we’ll have to see what the fans think when it comes out, but we’d like to think that this is going to be one of things that just wraps it up as a complete experience. The beauty of Civ is though is that we’re talking about the expanse of human history, there’s always something else you can add to the game. I can’t talk too much about the future, in terms of specifics, but I think it all comes down to what the fans will be thinking, whether they’re like “this is rock solid, this is exactly where I want it to be”.

So, if we keep complaining and throwing out ideas we get a third expansion?

There are just too many civs that deserve representation in civ 5 for nothing to come after bnw. I know that I'm not interested in civ 6, so even if one does come out I'm not buying it. Another expansion pack though I would love.

I personally wouldn't buy a Civ 6, better graphics? Start off with 18 vanilla civs and non of the features added in Civ 5 not included and having to wait years for expansions to bring them back?
No thank you.
However I will buy any Civ V DLC/Expansions that come out.

Top Bottom