Just sayin'...I'm really excited about BNW

Me too im sooooooooooo excited :D

The only problem though is that the culture vixtory might be more interesting, but its wayyyyy too complicated

Too complicated? No such thing. :p :lol: Assuming it works in the game and the AI can use it too.

I'll give it another 10 posts until this turns into a recycled Italian speculation thread

But yeah we're all super excited. Something about this expansion that has me a lot more excited than G&K - anybody share this feeling?

I think Gods and Kings gave us stuff we already expected, so we weren't as hyped up. BNW will bring in mechanics the likes of which would normally reside in an ideas and suggestions thread.

How much time are people planning to take off work when BNW arrives? I've got a week booked from the release date :cool:

I will just be back from a vacation. So none for me. I'll just keep playing in the evenings when my kid goes to bed.

How much time are people planning to take off work when BNW arrives? I've got a week booked from the release date :cool:

Summer holiday, so plenty of time to try it out. Thankfully it was not like G&K where it came out before my exams finished. (I carried my unopened copy with me to my last exam and opened it right after I was done, talk about addiction! :crazyeye: )

(And it'll be freezing, so I'll have an excuse to stay inside :D )

You're not kidding.

I'm really looking forward to this expansion also. I bought my latest laptop in February which can run Civ V extremely well, and then they revealed this; so I haven't had the chance to make use of the increased performance and I simply can't go back to Gods and Kings. I won't.

You're not kidding.

I'm really looking forward to this expansion also. I bought my latest laptop in February which can run Civ V extremely well, and then they revealed this; so I haven't had the chance to make use of the increased performance and I simply can't go back to Gods and Kings. I won't.

Out of Curiosity what is winter like in NZ? It should be pretty warm here when it comes out and it's in the middle of budget season where I work but I'll make some time to play it.

Out of Curiosity what is winter like in NZ? It should be pretty warm here when it comes out and it's in the middle of budget season where I work but I'll make some time to play it.

Mockingly cold. Not enough to snow, but it feels like it should. At least in Wellington. A perfect excuse to stay inside and play Civ; and I think it's between trimesters that it comes out, so I'll have the time to play it too.

Mockingly cold. Not enough to snow, but it feels like it should. At least in Wellington. A perfect excuse to stay inside and play Civ; and I think it's between trimesters that it comes out, so I'll have the time to play it too.

I know what thats like. I find 2 degrees when its wet and windy feels worse than 10 below and calm. Perfect time to sit inside with a hot cider :coffee: and play civ!

It's nice to be retired... :king:

OTOH, the Mrs' "Honeydew List" is long and the days are short... :cry:

:D

I'll just keep playing in the evenings when my kid goes to bed.

Ditto. My daughter goes to bed at 7:00 and my wife is usually in bed by 8:00. So I have from 8:00 - 11:00 to play each night (while having the Red Sox on in the background when it comes out in July).

I'm excited about it and I can't wait, but I'm worried that all my precious mods are going to stop functioning and with all the changes to the game I'm probably going to end up losing the first few games.

I'm excited about it and I can't wait, but I'm worried that all my precious mods are going to stop functioning and with all the changes to the game I'm probably going to end up losing the first few games.

I think most of the more sophisticated mods will have issues, but I'm hoping the simpler ones (like the one granting unlimited experience from killing barbs) will still work. :lol:

But I'm perfectly happy to play the BNW as-is, at least to start. Mods invariably improve the Civ experience so I'm sure that there will be many new ones to follow that will keep us happy for a long time.

Reading through many of the posts in this forum, a thought has struck me. I don't recall seeing many of you in Strategy & Tips. Are those of you excited for BNW played Vanilla and actively playing G&K or are you still waiting for the magic Civ game and hoping this would be it? Perhaps a lot of you were waiting for better late game elements? Or maybe a better cultural victory?

I understand the excitement of a new Civ release, I've been involved in all of them since Civ2 MGE. However, I don't see BNW as any different than G&K, Warlords or BtS - in other words, just another good expansion pack with some potential new things to play with (not to mention the usual new civs and scenarios, which are always cool). Unless my memory is failing me, there seems to be a lot more speculations, hype, expectations and debates about this expansion pack compared to G&K and others. Is that a false perception?

Reading through many of the posts in this forum, a thought has struck me. I don't recall seeing many of you in Strategy & Tips.

I'm not sure I understand the point of this - is S&T the only sub-forum where true 'Fanatics are supposed to post when not anticipating a new release? Frankly, that's laughable, if not insulting.:rolleyes:

Are those of you excited for BNW played Vanilla and actively playing G&K or are you still waiting for the magic Civ game and hoping this would be it? Perhaps a lot of you were waiting for better late game elements? Or maybe a better cultural victory?

I understand the excitement of a new Civ release, I've been involved in all of them since Civ2 MGE. However, I don't see BNW as any different than G&K, Warlords or BtS - in other words, just another good expansion pack with some potential new things to play with (not to mention the usual new civs and scenarios, which are always cool). Unless my memory is failing me, there seems to be a lot more speculations, hype, expectations and debates about this expansion pack compared to G&K and others. Is that a false perception?

Let's compare this release to G&K: G&K was ostensibly about Religion and Espionage, and in retrospect it was really about balancing the tech tree, rounding out unit strength, and general polish of the game, with Religion providing a moderate contribution and Espionage practically an afterthought (sure both contributed to strategies, but neither are real game-changers). BNW, on the other hand, seems to be contributing significant game-changing mechanics that are much more exciting and unique than G&K's. Obviously in a year we'll be able to reevaluate this premise and it could very well be false, but BNW is frankly much more sexy than G&K.

So yes: I think many of us are hoping that this XP is going to make Civ5 the truly epic and classic game we all see the potential for in the game. But also no: there's always hype, and of course the "shiny" factor will wear off (because that's what happens with everything) - but that's no reason not to get excited!:D

Reading through many of the posts in this forum, a thought has struck me. I don't recall seeing many of you in Strategy & Tips. Are those of you excited for BNW played Vanilla and actively playing G&K or are you still waiting for the magic Civ game and hoping this would be it? Perhaps a lot of you were waiting for better late game elements? Or maybe a better cultural victory?

What Seek said. This expansion is qualitatively different and in a direction that I have wanted Civ V to go towards from day one...culture and tourism or its equivalent, plus more sophisticated trade routes. Since this may well be the last major Civ V expansion, it is the real cherry on the ice cream sundae for me. Now its just a waiting game until Civ VI or whatever...

What Seek said. This expansion is qualitatively different and in a direction that I have wanted Civ V to go towards from day one...culture and tourism or its equivalent, plus more sophisticated trade routes. Since this may well be the last major Civ V expansion, it is the real cherry on the ice cream sundae for me. Now its just a waiting game until Civ VI or whatever...

For me BNW is more of the malt added to the shake. Gives us a lot heavier and tastier a drink to gulp down, but a cherry on top is neither here nor there: If they want another expansion, I'll gladly have my maltshake round two. If not, even better - I shouldn't have a second helping anyway and I could use a different drink

I'm still playing G&K every chance I get-with & without Mods-& yet have never felt compelled to post to the "Strategy & Tactics" site. Indeed, the same was true of Civ4. I'm loving the way that Religion is so much more of an interactive experience than it was under Civ4!

Aussie.

Top Bottom