Can you win in BC?

Hambil

Emperor
Juts nostalga here... I remember when my dad played Civ I and II and he had notebooks filled with maps and plans and numbers and he'd conquer the world before 0 BC most of the time! Obviously, this could only be done via a domination victory, but has anyone made any challenges to that effect on any difficult? It would be interesting to see it attempted.

On Pangaea standard/standard it's doable on all levels up to immortal. Actually, a few GOTM games were won in BC. 2 cities, infinite composite bowmen --> win. :)

I believe several submissions to a recent HoF challenge were exploit demonstrations, Great Plains duel, Huns victory on turn 7. I'm guessing Attila's men found a beautiful ram lying around and delivered the treasure to the opponent's cities in a benevolent gesture of shared prosperity.

Juts nostalga here... I remember when my dad played Civ I and II and he had notebooks filled with maps and plans and numbers and he'd conquer the world before 0 BC most of the time! Obviously, this could only be done via a domination victory, but has anyone made any challenges to that effect on any difficult? It would be interesting to see it attempted.

Yes, it is more than possible.

Have a two player game, and make sure that one of the two players does NOT use their initial Settler.

Instead, have that player march their Settler over to the opposing Warrior or the closest Barbarian.

Easy, no? :D

Now, if you remove the possibility of all player cooperation, the biggest hurdle in a pre BC victory is being able to get to your opposition. Not a problem on Pangaea and other maps without large bodies of water, but it can be a problem on maps with large bodies of water.

I would daresay that the Civ most capable of a pre BC victory on a map with large bodies of water are the Polynesians, because they already have water traversal abilities from the get go.

My dad did it by crossing oceans with ships that SANK half the time. Remember those days? :) He'd just live with it, or reload from an auto-save.

My Dad's take on saving/reloading: The game gives him the ability to do it, so it's not cheating. My settler gets killed, reload; I lose in combat, reload. To be fair, I think things reloaded a tad faster back in those days :)

I kind of agree on the "If the game gives me a way to do it, it's not cheating" part though. If someone wanted to save every turn, set random on, and just take the tedious time to win every combat, etc... (single player obviously) then more power to them :) :)

On water maps it might be possible on Epic or Marathon, provided it isn't deep water anyway. I can't see a BC victory where one or more AIs are across an ocean.

My dad did it by crossing oceans with ships that SANK half the time. Remember those days? :) He'd just live with it, or reload from an auto-save.

Wow, that takes me back. Those were the days though, sail a ship off to Africa, take the short route to S. America with a few settlers... Good times, good times.

did it with Alex on Settler, Duel map. very doable, shoot for the capital with a huge horde of Hoplites: smash smash smash

Huns, duel map, just train HA and BR. that's not so hard

See the Emperor Challenge #1 in the Strategy forum. A player finished the map in the BCs.

Top Bottom