One of the New Civs is European

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about South Africa as a quasi-european civ?

Well that would be just a terrible terrible terrible choice on so many levels. South-Africa hardly is a "civilization". And happily that is not going to happen. Cape Town is still a city state in BNW.

Now that we know for certain Italy is not in (Milan is still a City State) and we know the Rasgua is still a City State, which would appear on a Venetian City List (it is not a big list to begin with so even though it was technically independent it would be one of the cites on the list). This means that either Venice is not one of the new Civs or it is a One City Civ.

Were Padua, Verona, Durazzo, etc. added as city-states when I'm not looking? How does removal of exactly one city-state mean that Venice is now a one city civ? I can give you a list of 20 cities none of which are Ragusa. Ragusa was Venetian for 150 years. I'm genuinely confused on why people think that lack of Ragusa means no cities.

I'm also confused why people are suggesting Israel for a European civ (leaving aside the fact that Jerusalem has already been seen), but I'll leave that for another day.

ETA:

Purple and white is a new color, right?

Hmm, the purple mystery civ on the mini-map is most likely not Venice. I just picked up this:
"It is also known that (light) blue is the heraldic colour of Veneti and that Venice has always had blue and gold as its colours."

Perhaps it is the colour of Sioux?

On the colour of purple among Native Americans - generalized: "The color purple was not used as war paint or face paint. It was seen as a sacred color and symbolised power, mystery and magic. The color of purple was produced from coneflowers, Blueberries and hibiscus."

Sioux have next to 0 relation with purple. That's more of an eastern native American color

Were Padua, Verona, Durazzo, etc. added as city-states when I'm not looking? How does removal of exactly one city-state mean that Venice is now a one city civ? I can give you a list of 20 cities none of which are Ragusa. Ragusa was Venetian for 150 years. I'm genuinely confused on why people think that lack of Ragusa means no cities.

I'm also confused why people are suggesting Israel for a European civ (leaving aside the fact that Jerusalem has already been seen), but I'll leave that for another day.

ETA:

Purple and white is a new color, right?

Probably my fault. When discussing what Riga was replacing it was originally (incorrectly) seen as a replacement for Ragusa, and that caused a lot of speculation about what that would mean, with many thinking it would mean it would be part of Venice. I was more in the camp of them taking it out as the Sicilian Ragusa, but hey... it seems to have stuck and now people are associating Ragusa and Venice in quite a strong manner, stronger than their historical link probably deserves.

Now that we know for certain Italy is not in (Milan is still a City State) and we know the Rasgua is still a City State, which would appear on a Venetian City List (it is not a big list to begin with so even though it was technically independent it would be one of the cites on the list). This means that either Venice is not one of the new Civs or it is a One City Civ.

Not a problem:

Spoiler :

Venice
Verona
Vicenza
Parenzo
Zara
Spalato
Durazzo
Chania
Patras
Candia
Negropontes
Aquilea
Pola
Nicosia
Brescia
Padua
Bergamo
Mystras
Limassil
Chioggia
Mira
Miranos
Castelnuovos
Eraclea
Modon
Famagusta
Lepantos
Antivari

That's a damn site classier than a few city lists, that's for sure.

I think it's Switzerland. Maybe a UA that allows it to not be part of the World Congress, and perhaps gain gold/food benefits from mountains?

I think it's Switzerland. Maybe a UA that allows it to not be part of the World Congress, and perhaps gain gold/food benefits from mountains?

Switzerland already confirmed to not be in. Multiple cities already seen as city states.

Purple has nothing to do with the Sioux as far as I know. Do any other Native Americans, beside the Iroquois, related to purple?

I just had that thought also, they also have toes to northern Italy, and it would be very interesting to have a ua that gave neutrality or some automatic bonus to diplomatic relationships.

Purple has nothing to do with the Sioux as far as I know. Do any other Native Americans, beside the Iroquois, related to purple?

Several use it in fabrics. I have seen it used in Pueblo/Navajo colors before and in SouthEastern Powwows

Crazy prediction: Venice is a civ, and will only let you have one city. You can build settlers, but when they settle, they become city states that automatically become allied to you.

But that would be saying that the Venetian Republic was only made of one city, which is obviously false.

And while the mechanic sounds interesting at first, I think that in the long run, it could either be incredibly broken in both ways - having no ability to found a normal city without having massive benefits of a wide civ can easily break them in the crappy way, or, when Venice survives until late game and gets a chance to found the UN, they just need to build a bunch of settlers to get the diplomatic victory, so they'd be broken in the cheesy way.

I would like to point out something about "the remaining 2 civs have to be between P and Z" theory. AFAIK this wasn't mentioned yet.
We all know the Pueblo was among the 9 planned civs. Who says the order of the achievements wasn't made back then?

IMO it's very plausible that the civ replacing the Pueblo stayed on the 7th spot in the achievements even after the civ-change. They simply didn't rearrange the list.
This of couse means, that either of the last two civs can start with any letter of the alphabet!!

Regarding this thread, and the last European civ in BNW:
Hungary is back in the game ;)
Go Hungary gooooo!

What about the Visigoths or the Vandals?

I'm kind of disappointed the Khazars weren't one of the 9 civs, they had a lot of potential and would fill part of the map in in eastern Europe. Armenia would have been another good one to see.

What about the Visigoths or the Vandals?

I'm kind of disappointed the Khazars weren't one of the 9 civs, they had a lot of potential and would fill part of the map in in eastern Europe. Armenia would have been another good one to see.

Wouldn't really fit as Civs on their own, and already under the Germanic banner anyhow.

Is it possible that purple and white is just because it hasn't been used before rather than having a specific tie to a specific civ? Especially for Native American civs, I don't find it implausible.

Then again, maybe it's Phoenicia :p

Is it possible that purple and white is just because it hasn't been used before rather than having a specific tie to a specific civ? Especially for Native American civs, I don't find it implausible.

I totally agree with that. But stirring the pot by dropping a name is kind of fun. :)

Phoenicia is already ruled out by city states.

Wouldn't really fit as Civs on their own, and already under the Germanic banner anyhow.

By that thinking, France and Spain fit under the Roman banner. The Visigoths did have an established kingdom for several hundred years, and had one of the most complex legal systems in Western Europe. I'm just throwing it out as a possibility nobody's mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom