Days of Sadat Middle East collection

Speaking as a British subject... this is our fault. We drew arbitrary lines in the sand as part of the '48 deal that created the modern state of Israel, and we supported the Israeli state despite repeated acts of terror that frankly border on attempted genocide because Arrubz r skerreh. I am in favour of Israeli statehood, don't get me wrong, but it's when Israel throws its weight around for no damn reason (Six Day War, Yom Kippur War, the entire spat with Palestine) that I start to have a problem. But hey, like I said, it's Britain's fault. We messed up. Considering the godawful mess we made of the Indian Partition, I've got no idea why people expected us not to do so.

HOWEVER.

Nationalist Civ ideas like this are never, ever helpful. All they do is attract the kind of ire that, well, we've seen in this thread. Nobody comes out of this well. Not the IDF that Murphy's so desperate to defend (y'know, the same IDF whose members post tweets bragging about how they're going to murder Palestinian children), not the '73 Egyptian forces that took two stabs to regain Sinai, not nobody. They're just magnets for grumpy ideologues, and any attempt at discussion or a dispassionate look at a nation is lost amid the shouting. Let's not, eh? Let's just not.

Couldn't agree more. I'm glad to see someone who knows what he's talking about.

Top Bottom