[Reference] Colour Schemes of Released Modded Civs

Well, red isn't always just red, nor is yellow always just yellow.
Sri Lanka is Pink/Gold for example, while the Safavids are Dark Maroon/Dark Gold, variations make a very big difference.

Besides that, if we only looked at it like just Red, Blue, Yellow, Green and the basic colors there would be no possible combination left.

There is like every concievable variant of red and yellow done at this point though. Both versions of the Papal States, a Lithuania, a Soviet Union, and an England are pink-ish red with gold-ish yellow, and the other Soviet Union alongside arguably Oman are maroon and dark gold.

There is far less that are unquestionably, say, green on orange or purple on blue or green on gray. But we've kind of had every concievable variant of red/yellow, just look at the imgur thingy. We compiled that so people would make color schemes that unquestionably could not be mistaken for another!

There is like every concievable variant of red and yellow done at this point though
Not even close, these are 2 color combinations we are talking about. Once we count in purple, pink, maroon and others we get a huge amount of variations that even if I tried to cover up with civs I wouldn't be able to.

I made sure to avoid being to close to any of those Civs, and the color scheme is unique, don't worry. The only one that comes close is JFD's Armenia, but I made sure to use a brighter pink.

There is far less that are unquestionably, say, green on orange or purple on blue or green on gray. But we've kind of had every concievable variant of red/yellow, just look at the imgur thingy.

Perhaps because those don't look as good and don't have as much use historically?
Red means power, passion and such, gold is obvious. So it is only natural it will be used a lot more.

Like I said, don't worry, tons of combinations left out there.

Also, one has to bear in mind the Law of Tincture.

When making European Civs, a lot of the civs have blue/yellow and red/yellow colour schemes because they come from heraldry. In heraldry proper there are only five colours - red, green, black, blue, and purple - and two metals, white and yellow. The Law of Tincture states that you cannot put a colour on a colour or a metal on a metal. An or device upon a field gules was popular for the reasons COF stated above, among others, but the only reason you broke that convention was if you were making a statement by doing so (cf. the arms of Jerusalem). Of course, there were other colours and patterns used - the furs, the colours natural, cendree and bleu-de-ciel and so forth - but we can't use the elaborate designs in a two-colour system because they become garbled and indistinct.

tl;dr: blame medieval Europe. For everything. =]

But we aren't making flags with strict laws of European design. We're making two-tone color schemes depicted as a symbol on a differently-colored background where ideally we want them all to be instantly identifiable on a map. The vast majority of actual vanilla civs have only minimal rhyme or reason behind the color schemes used, and are mostly assigned for distinction from others. If we strictly had to follow the flag designs of all these civilizations then like 70% of them would have red in them since every flag ever has red in it.

Rather what we try to accomplish is the 'feel' of a civilization in its color scheme. Stark and bold for heavy warring ones, refreshing and tropical for more peaceful or maritime civs, cool and sharp for those with a scientific bend, muted and painterly for those cultural ones, etc. etc. It's a lot more in common with graphic and interior design because, for all intents and purposes, you're going to be seeing these colors more in your city interface and on the map panel than as its flag of sorts.

So like, personally when I think Sri Lanka I think of its more tropical and marine nature along with the Sri Pada and various temples and overall a very green feel to it. I definitely would've gone for a rich turquoise on a bright green, yes. But red in general is not something I'd associate with it. That makes me think of like, war penants and medieval feudalism and whatnot.

The best way to settle this is to copy paste the images and paste them in this thread. They were made for exactly these types of comparison. Compare with CL's Canada, JFD England, Benin, JFD's Armenia, JFD's Papal States, Stalin, Moldavia and etc.

I have to disagree, I personally feel it is necesarry to be always as close to original colors as possible. But when a Civ doesn't have original colors I think those less used combinations should be used.

Additionally:
Spoiler :

Only real resemblance is Armenia and even then they are different enough. On a map you would be able to tell a difference unless you are colorblind.

I'm more concerned with this:

Spoiler :

Especially on a map.

I'm a wee bit color-blind on the reds to greens aspect (only a bit, not a lot)... and I see those differences just fine.. A bit harder on the map, but still possible if the three of them are on.

Still, it'd be better to avoid future gold on red colors :p

I'm a wee bit color-blind on the reds to greens aspect (only a bit, not a lot)... and I see those differences just fine.. A bit harder on the map, but still possible if the three of them are on.

Still, it'd be better to avoid future gold on red colors :p

You too? Now that's weird...

err... I wonder if there may be a way to order the civs that wouldn't involve clasifying them by debatable color combinations.

You too? Now that's weird...

err... I wonder if there may be a way to order the civs that wouldn't involve clasifying them by debatable color combinations.
RGB values?

I guess I am fairly picky about civ colors because I am the one mapping them all out in Google Earth so I notice in an instant when one civ has colors too similar to another. For example, Latvia and Peru and Benin, Argentina and the Philippines, Parthia and JFD's Lithuania, Bolivia and the Suebi, the Boers and LS's Khmer (especially given the Boers had pretty clearly a more Egypt-purple than bright blue in their scenario), Tuscany and LS's Mughals, and so on and so on are all similarities that I immediately pick up on and complain about on the internet.

For example, Latvia and Peru and Benin...

But, Benin has such a dark scheme compared to those other two?

(especially given the Boers had pretty clearly a more Egypt-purple than bright blue in their scenario).

Scenario Boers actually used the reverse (scenario) Sumer scheme (pink-ish/purple-ish).

Top Bottom