Better Policy Names

CountAccountant

Warlord
The only thing that ever really bothered me about Civ 5 was "The Terrible" title that you get after choosing Autocracy policies. My civ leader isn't "The Terrible!" My civ leader is amazing and wonderful!

So after some digging, I found the XML file to change the policy titles and changed "the Terrible" to "Emperor."

But why stop at Autocracy? Here's my question: what titles do you think would be cooler/more impressive/more badass than the existing policy titles? ((For example, I also changed the title for Freedom from "President" to "Supreme Chancellor" while I was updating autocracy because I thought it sounded more impressive.))

I'm sorry, people who adopt "Autocracy" truly have one thing in mind.. genocide.. the conquering of the whole world, a.k.a World Domination... surely that title is fitting?

President also makes sense, seing as not only does Freedom represent Democracy, but also the fact that Democratic Election are the fairest as it's the people who elect the next "leader" of the country.

I'm sorry, people who adopt "Autocracy" truly have one thing in mind.. genocide.. the conquering of the whole world, a.k.a World Domination... surely that title is fitting?

I respectfully disagree. One of my favorite aspects of civilization is the ability to create a combination of policy choices that reflect the type of society I want to build. The pros/cons of peaceful autocracy has been discussed to death in other threads, but Industrial Espionage and Gunboat Diplomacy are pretty awesome for peaceful empires, the happiness is fantastic, and peaceful empires surrounded by hostile forces can benefit a lot from the military enhancements. I can respect the opinion that you personally would never take it for a peaceful nation, but to imply that no one else would take it for a peaceful nation seems to be a little extreme.

Regardless, I didn't intend to imply that the existing titles weren't fitting, per se. I was just looking for other titles that were more impressive. Or more exciting, more interesting, etc.

The only thing that ever really bothered me about Civ 5 was "The Terrible" title that you get after choosing Autocracy policies. My civ leader isn't "The Terrible!" My civ leader is amazing and wonderful!

So after some digging, I found the XML file to change the policy titles and changed "the Terrible" to "Emperor."

But why stop at Autocracy? Here's my question: what titles do you think would be cooler/more impressive/more badass than the existing policy titles? ((For example, I also changed the title for Freedom from "President" to "Supreme Chancellor" while I was updating autocracy because I thought it sounded more impressive.))

Tradition: Aristocrat
Liberty: Senator
Honor: General
Piety: Pope
Patronage: Viceroy
Aesthetics: the Artist, his Grace
Commerce: Plutocrat
Exploration: the Colonizer/Explorer, Captain(not sure if that is what it is right now)
Rationalism: the Secularist, the Scholar
Autocracy: Chancellor
Freedom: Prime Minister
Order: Premier

Some Alternatives

Tradition: Aristocrat
Liberty: Senator
Honor: General
Piety: Pope
Patronage: Viceroy
Aesthetics: the Artist, his Grace
Commerce: Plutocrat
Exploration: the Colonizer/Explorer, Captain(not sure if that is what it is right now)
Rationalism: the Secularist, the Scholar
Autocracy: Chancellor
Freedom: Prime Minister
Order: Premier

Some Alternatives

Nice, I especially like Viceroy and Scholar.

It's just wrong to have a female pope though :lol: since pope means father :crazyeye:
If you hate "the terrible" so much, why not be like North Korea? "supreme lord commander" blah blah blah...

It's just wrong to have a female pope though :lol: since pope means father :crazyeye:
If you hate "the terrible" so much, why not be like North Korea? "supreme lord commander" blah blah blah...

That's a good point. I might have to go with a Pope equivalent such as "His Holiness / Her Holiness" or "High Priest" instead.

Also, and this is really embarrassing, if you had not told me that "Supreme Lord Commander" was from North Korea, I probably would have updated my xml file with it.

I'm sorry, people who adopt "Autocracy" truly have one thing in mind.. genocide.. the conquering of the whole world, a.k.a World Domination...
World domination has nothing to do with genocide. Autocracy has nothing to do with genocide. Autocracy has nothing to do with world domination. Seriously, dude...

World domination has nothing to do with genocide. Autocracy has nothing to do with genocide. Autocracy has nothing to do with world domination. Seriously, dude...

:lol: sorry, I forgot people still stick to realism in Civilization 5, sorry, I did mean the fact that Autocracy is aimed at primarily World Domination in the game..

I think you should have the option of naming the titles. Whether what you are doing is good or bad, history has proven that many leaders will use `GOOD` or `nice` names for something actually Bad. Few use Bad names for actually bad things; they rationalise it away.

It`s up to the people to be smart enough to tell the difference.

Top Bottom