Attila the God

I just rolled the most amazing start for Attila imaginable. It's deity, pangea, everything else standard. I think it would be pretty fun to see how quickly some other players could win playing this.

I've saved the initial auto save to Steam Cloud, but have no idea how to turn that into a link so that others can play. If someone would be so kind as to post instructions on how to do this, I think you'll find this one of the more enjoyable domination games.

Spoiler :
The start is amazing. I found Uluru and Mt. Kailash within the first 10 turns. Yeah, I'm immediately drooling over how many holy battering rams I'll be buying shortly.

There are also a ton of huts to step on early. I immediately went Liberty to get a quick settler up. 2 culture huts helped get this very quickly.

Build order was scout > scout> settler > monument > spam horse archers > spam battering rams > dominate early game

Warrior gets a hut upgrade, discovers China's shiny new 2nd city, and takes it down in one freakin shot. Reminded me of taking out an empty city back in Civ 2. It was so satisfying, I reloaded that turn and did it a few more times just for fun.

2nd and 3rd cities went up quickly (tons of barbarians for culture farms helped), settled adjacent to the two WW's. I'm now generating 12 FPT very early without ever considering a shrine. I took God of the Open Skies (gotta cruise through honor now). I got 2nd religion, and of course I take Holy Warriors.

After that I pretty much steamrolled through 3 civs before backing off while raising gold and researching towards Knights, Trebuchets, and Swordsmen. I'm now at t130 and ready to upgrade some seriously experienced units and finish this thing off. NC was built at t115.

I have no idea what Steam Cloud is but you can attach the save file to your post with the instructions below the text box. I love to play Attila and want to play your save.

1. Scroll down below the Reply Window and click the button under ATTACH FILES labeled MANAGE ATTACHMENTS.

2. Under UPLOAD FILES FROM YOUR COMPUTER select Browse. Your Save Files should be in MY DOCUMENTS > MY GAMES > SID MIERS CIV 5 > SAVES > SINGLE

3. Click UPLOAD.

4. POST and the ATTACHED SAVE will be DOWNLOADABLE at the BOTTOM OF YOUR POST.

1. Scroll down below the Reply Window and click the button under ATTACH FILES labeled MANAGE ATTACHMENTS.

2. Under UPLOAD FILES FROM YOUR COMPUTER select Browse. Your Save Files should be in MY DOCUMENTS > MY GAMES > SID MIERS CIV 5 > SAVES > SINGLE

3. Click UPLOAD.

4. POST and the ATTACHED SAVE will be DOWNLOADABLE at the BOTTOM OF YOUR POST.

OK, I followed your instructions, and get it. Problem is, the saved file isn't there. I can go back and save the original game again, just don't know how to put it into a file that my Mac's Finder will see. Any advice here will help, in the meantime, I'm going to play around and see if I can figure it out.

Yeah, that looks like it worked. You'd think I'm a complete tech idiot…..if that hat fits……

Have fun playing, I look forward to comments. I actually figured out how to save screenshots with a Mac today also (Command > Shift > 3 gives you a screen save). I'll post my own versions of this game and would love comments.

Now, my next text is figuring out how to play a game (like the deity challenges) that others have downloaded here. How does one access these games?

Now, my next text is figuring out how to play a game (like the deity challenges) that others have downloaded here. How does one access these games?
Well, you have to download the file and then relocate it to the single player saves folder. I don't know about macs, but on pc it's documents->my games->civ 5->saves->single. Then you run civ and go to "load game" and choose the file you just picked.

Meanwhile, I can't open yours because it requires some DLC.

BTW what you complaining about? Ai play prevent you from winning? So, AI play as human does.

Did you ever had in multiplayer some one playing for you not to win not them to win? Like you took there planed city spot, so they are like: "I can not win now but I surely can prevent you from winning?"

BTW what you complaining about? Ai play prevent you from winning? So, AI play as human does.

Did you ever had in multiplayer some one playing for you not to win not them to win? Like you took there planed city spot, so they are like: "I can not win now but I surely can prevent you from winning?"

In my estimation playing to make someone lose since you cannot win is not very sportsmanlike. Might be better in those situations to admit to defeat and exit an MP match, if you still want to be on friendly terms with your opponents after the game.

why? it is FFA. Good strategy in FFa is not to piss people off. Did you ever played WC3 FFA? Best strategy in any FFa game is to avoid upsetting people why try to manipulate other people, Psychology played critical role in FFa.

why? it is FFA. Good strategy in FFa is not to piss people off. Did you ever played WC3 FFA? Best strategy in any FFa game is to avoid upsetting people why try to manipulate other people, Psychology played critical role in FFa.

I have played a lot of competitive games versus other people from Chess, to Poker, to Magic the Gathering, and on through to CoD and Titanfall. I have discovered that top tier play in most games becomes Psychological Warfare. Although I can play at top tier by manipulating other players to upset or unnerve them, I have found that afterwards I don't have many friends (especially when they figure out I am playing the Metagame on them like they are lab rats).

What I am trying to say is that imho, when a Game becomes Psychological Warfare it stops being fun and starts feeling unethical to me. This is because at top tier Ego and Winning is more important to many players than treating their Opponent with the respect everyone at top tier deserves for their accomplishment. Thus it seems what you suggest 'Hate Playing' is not unlike a child throwing a tantrum and saying 'Well if I didn't win, nobody is going to win!'

Games are supposed to be fun. We all like to win of course, but if we put that before having fun we lose the meaning of playing games imho. Can't you see how 'Hate Playing' is more sour grapes than an Alpha Strategy?

I am loss, you confirm that in order to win high level games one need to use psychology. Disregarding any kind of component of winning lead to lose. If you want to limit yourself, it is up to you but you have to accept it is reality that other people will use it against you.

There are nothing to judge.

My point was that computer behave like human....

I'm curious about this start, but I don't want to download the save file, because I'm too envolved in my current game. And also, I'm still an Emperor player.

Could someone post a screenshot of that start?

I just rolled the most amazing start for Attila imaginable.

I think we have different definitions of amazing. Not only have I imagined better starts, I've played on them. Lots of them.

Jakarta and Addis Adaba are far from easy cities to take, the range of CS is kinda limited to maritime and culture in the immediate vicinity, and the most obvious 1st choice 'victim' is China, who, when I showed up with a bunch of HAs, had beelined Construction and started spamming CBs. They also had 27 defence on their city, and even with 6+ HAs and 2x BRs, I couldn't take it by turn 70, by which time Attila has lost most of his advantage on Deity.

The faith wonders are pretty irrelevant for fast-rush strategies IMO, and if you're not gonna do a rush, there's little point picking Attila since he is obsolete by late Medieval.

I think we have different definitions of amazing. Not only have I imagined better starts, I've played on them. Lots of them.

Jakarta and Addis Adaba are far from easy cities to take, the range of CS is kinda limited to maritime and culture in the immediate vicinity, and the most obvious 1st choice 'victim' is China, who, when I showed up with a bunch of HAs, had beelined Construction and started spamming CBs. They also had 27 defence on their city, and even with 6+ HAs and 2x BRs, I couldn't take it by turn 70, by which time Attila has lost most of his advantage on Deity.

The faith wonders are pretty irrelevant for fast-rush strategies IMO, and if you're not gonna do a rush, there's little point picking Attila since he is obsolete by late Medieval.

Well, I'm admittedly new to playing at Deity/standard games (I've played 5 games total before this, all as Inca, and I finally won the 5th), so I'm comparing from my experience playing Immortal and mostly Marathon games. I probably should have said it's one of the most fun starts I've seen.

I went for Jakarta first, as I like cutting continents off. He went down quite easily to 4 HA's and 3 Rams. I stumbled upon China's 2nd city with a warrior-turned-ram and took it out, which probably set him back immensely. I should mention that both of my scouts ended up becoming bowmen, which is an added luxury as they'll upgrade nicely with logistics and the rest.

You are right about the Medeival absolution, but that's where the Holy Warriors is really saving my a$$. Given Attila's lack of infrastructure, even with tithe, I'm in the poorhouse and waiting to upgrade a lot of units, so kicking out free pikemen, long swordsmen, and trebuchets is invaluable. I'm just waiting for others to attack me for the next 20-30 turns and then I'll take them out in a counter-rush.

Jakarta and Addis Adaba are far from easy cities to take, the range of CS is kinda limited to maritime and culture in the immediate vicinity, and the most obvious 1st choice 'victim' is China, who, when I showed up with a bunch of HAs, had beelined Construction and started spamming CBs.

Why did you consider China to be the obvious victim?

When I'm going Total War, I want to take a capital and move on. The last thing I want to do is leave units behind to defend my new puppet. On this map, if you take China first, you'd likely want to go north afterwards, leaving China very vulnerable to invasions from the East.

If you take out Indo first, you can pretty much steamroll through the north, cut south to China, and then turtle up for awhile waiting for tech/upgrade gold.

Again, I'm new to Deity/standard games, but not to Civ 5 war strategies. Playing exclusively marathon games for quite awhile, I've learned a bit about warfare which sometimes makes up for my lack of the finer points of the other strategies that are often discussed here. Military lesson #1 is to not spread your forces. I don't see how taking China first on this map allows for that…..therefore Indo went down….more easily than usual.

Top Bottom