Civilizations

ltccone

Prince
IMO, calling some BNW Civ 5 Civilizations 'civilizations' is stretching it a bit.

The list would include Brazil, Indonesia, Polynesia, and the Huns. I also think the Shoshone was a strange representative of the Plains Indians.

What does everyone else think?

I think that gameplay is more important than a strict definition of "civilization" that requires that the people in question be city-builders.

I think it's fair to generalize sometimes for the sake of convenience. However, the area between what is a culture and what is a civilization is vague at best.

Polynesia is probably a prime example where they more or less threw all pacific islanders in the same pot despite the fact that many have long standing and separate traditions.

Fun > Realism

Here's your definition:

Civilization:

A group of people who share a demonym and would be fun to play as in the game series Sid Meier's Civilization.

Let's not get into a convoluted and vaguely bigoted argument comparing the Roman Empire to Native American nomads or some other such group. The term is all inclusive.

Here's your definition:

Civilization:

A group of people who share a demonym and would be fun to play as in the game series Sid Meier's Civilization.

Let's not get into a convoluted and vaguely bigoted argument comparing the Roman Empire to Native American nomads or some other such group. The term is all inclusive.

I can understand that. If that is the case, just about every group of people would qualify. :)

civ·i·li·za·tion [siv-uh-luh-zey-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
an advanced state of human society, in which a high level of culture, science, industry, and government has been reached.
those people or nations that have reached such a state.
any type of culture, society, etc., of a specific place, time, or group: Greek civilization.
the act or process of civilizing or being civilized: Rome's civilization of barbaric tribes was admirable.
cultural refinement; refinement of thought and cultural appreciation: The letters of Madame de Sévigné reveal her wit and civilization.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/civilization

Civ Fanatics is a civilization judging by the high level of culture exhibited by the participants.

Civ Fanatics is a civilization judging by the high level of culture exhibited by the participants.

Sounds good to me!

I can understand that. If that is the case, just about every group of people would qualify. :)

civ·i·li·za·tion [siv-uh-luh-zey-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
an advanced state of human society, in which a high level of culture, science, industry, and government has been reached.
those people or nations that have reached such a state.
any type of culture, society, etc., of a specific place, time, or group: Greek civilization.
the act or process of civilizing or being civilized: Rome's civilization of barbaric tribes was admirable.
cultural refinement; refinement of thought and cultural appreciation: The letters of Madame de Sévigné reveal her wit and civilization.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/civilization

I like the Wiktionary definition more, which is more appropriate of Civ: An organized culture encompassing many communities, often on the scale of a nation or a people; a stage or system of social, political or technical development.

Still doesn't work for every civ currently in the game, but I don't think that's going to happen for any definition out there.

I like the Wiktionary definition more, which is more appropriate of Civ: An organized culture encompassing many communities, often on the scale of a nation or a people; a stage or system of social, political or technical development.

Still doesn't work for every civ currently in the game, but I don't think that's going to happen for any definition out there.

Like the Huns. Hard to find anything 'civilizing' about them. :)

Huns, celts, and vikings are the only three sides who I wouldn't call a civ. all the rest are fine by me in the sense that they're a civ.

Huns, celts, and vikings are the only three sides who I wouldn't call a civ. all the rest are fine by me in the sense that they're a civ.

Denmark is fine as represented, and meets pretty much any criterion you'd apply to a civ, however strict your definition. It's also bizarre that the OP listed Indonesia, which was as much an urbanised, developed society prior to the colonial period as India, just (like India) not under that name.

Polynesia, the Huns, the Celts, the Zulu and the Shoshone are poor fits. If you're applying a classical definition of a civilization as a sedentary society with centralised government, the Iroquois are a borderline case.

I wouldn't say any of the others are disqualified on the grounds of "not being civilizations", but many more can be disputed on the grounds of "importance" given the game's traditional focus on powers of significance to global or regional history, and/or those that were long-lived - this list includes Brazil (now regionally important, but not a defining feature in regional history so much), the Iroquois, Venice, Sweden and the Aztecs, and probably others.

I dont know if Celts necessarily should be in the game, but I dont think its wrong to talk about "Celtic civilization". Im glad that they got rid of Vikings, because it really didnt make much sense. Danes and Swedes are much better. Huns were pretty much just different ethnic groups raiding and plundering through Europe. Originally they probably were some kind of proto Mongols, but we dont know for sure. They were pretty important in their time though so they are not totally horrible choice. America and Brazil are questionable, because they are so young. In many ways they are just part of English and Portuguese civilizations. I also dont know if Venice can be called a civilization.

@PhilBowles. Venice, Sweden and the Aztecs were really important in their time. Tenochtitlan might have been the biggest city in the world at its prime.

IMO, calling some BNW Civ 5 Civilizations 'civilizations' is stretching it a bit.

The list would include Brazil, Indonesia, Polynesia, and the Huns. I also think the Shoshone was a strange representative of the Plains Indians.

What does everyone else think?

If you think Indonesia was not a civilization (as represented through Gajah Mada and Majapahit) then you don't know very much about Asian history

If you think Indonesia was not a civilization (as represented through Gajah Mada and Majapahit) then you don't know very much about Asian history

I know more than you think I do. "Indonesia" is not a civilization, it is a geographic area.

The civ should have been called the Majapahit Empire. They didn't call Songhai Southwest Central Africa, did they?

Denmark is fine as represented, and meets pretty much any criterion you'd apply to a civ, however strict your definition. It's also bizarre that the OP listed Indonesia, which was as much an urbanised, developed society prior to the colonial period as India, just (like India) not under that name.

Polynesia, the Huns, the Celts, the Zulu and the Shoshone are poor fits. If you're applying a classical definition of a civilization as a sedentary society with centralised government, the Iroquois are a borderline case.

I wouldn't say any of the others are disqualified on the grounds of "not being civilizations", but many more can be disputed on the grounds of "importance" given the game's traditional focus on powers of significance to global or regional history, and/or those that were long-lived - this list includes Brazil (now regionally important, but not a defining feature in regional history so much), the Iroquois, Venice, Sweden and the Aztecs, and probably others.

My beef with Indonesia is that it is CALLED Indonesia. It should have been called the Majapahit Empire. And if anyone says no one has heard of it, how many people have heard of Songhai?

My beef with Indonesia is that it is CALLED Indonesia. It should have been called the Majapahit Empire. And if anyone says no one has heard of it, how many people have heard of Songhai?

Calling it the Majapahit Empire would only allow them to represent the Majapahit Empire. Calling it Indonesia allows them to represent all of the peoples in the region from many time periods. Thus, Indonesia is a better choice.

Besides, Indonesia is most definitely a civilization. The current Republic of Indonesia has the world's fourth largest population and sixteenth largest economy (by nominal GDP). That's not bad!

Calling it the Majapahit Empire would only allow them to represent the Majapahit Empire. Calling it Indonesia allows them to represent all of the peoples in the region from many time periods. Thus, Indonesia is a better choice.

Besides, Indonesia is most definitely a civilization. The current Republic of Indonesia has the world's fourth largest population and sixteenth largest economy (by nominal GDP). That's not bad!

Their leader is from the Majapahit Empire, so why wouldn't you call it that?

Top Bottom