What is the best way to get many cities and keep your citizens happy?

CyborgCenturion

Chieftain
I was wondering what is the best way to have many cities with happy citizens, with a preferable high gold output, if possible, in civ5. I would prefer a fast method. (I like to play on continents with 8 civs, usually without city states, on prince.) If this isn't possible what would be some similar strategies?

Is this vanilla? The liberty tree is your best bet. Free settler and then quicker to build. Settle on luxury resources so you can save time by not having to improve them, and also generating a base gold output. Use your workers to build roads between your cities for the city connection money and the meritocracy happiness bonus. Make sure to assign all citizens to production tiles when building assembler, the cities cannot grow but they cannot starve when building a settler, so just work all the hill tiles but remember to switch it back once the settler is done.

Okay thanks, so basically build on luxuries, when building a settler set citizens to production, build roads to the cities, and got for Meritocracy first. What should I focus buildings on, Science, Production, Gold, Culture, or Wonders?

Actually the easyist way in Vanilla where there are only a few happiness sources to get a large number of cities and keep them happy is to only build a few, but conquer a lot from the AI.

Tradition for Monarchy, whose pop unhappiness reduction in the capital will exceed a mere one citizen per city for any empire you can keep global happiness positive with, especially for Vanilla that doesn't have the religious sources of happiness.

Liberty is for if you really want to self found 6+ cities instead of conquering one due to the massive cost reduction of settlers. (It takes too long if you don't go Liberty to hand build 5+ settlers.)

Colosseums, Circuses, Stone Works, everywhere. Build Circus Maximus for a free source of 5 more happiness (requires every self built city you already have to have a Colosseum)
I forgot what they called Zoos back in Vanilla, but you'll need those everywhere in Vanilla as well, especially if going wide.

After your first tree, for both Vanilla and G&K there is actually within Rationalism a policy that gives happiness bonuses to science buildings which is another thing you should build everywhere.

If happiness is still a problem in late game (this is much more likely to be the case in Vanilla than in G&K or especially BNW), either cherry pick some other policies for happiness bonuses or build Stadiums.

Thanks, can I ask on how American AI gets away with tons of cities but still stay at least mid on the happiest empires list.

Ai has higher base happiness (+6 I think) and has unhappiness reductions ( like only 2 unhappiness for each city founded etc)

Ai has higher base happiness (+6 I think) and has unhappiness reductions ( like only 2 unhappiness for each city founded etc)

AI in Vanilla (and G&K) plays on Chieftain, 60% of the pop & city unhappiness a human on Prince would have + an extra happiness per luxury type + 3 extra base happiness.
In addition, those happiness modifiers are multiplied by the AIHappiness percentage number which is level dependent and gives the AI increasing happiness bonuses at levels above Prince.

BNW is the one where the AI plays on "AI Default Handicap" and starts at +6 base happiness but does NOT get the extra unhappiness per luxury type and "only" gets 90% of the pop & city unhappiness (again multiplied as above)

Also note that if the map size is large or huge then all players, including the human, get reduced city unhappiness.

Invest more in Local Happiness and then pursue Global Happiness afterwards. Build Circuses, Colosseum, and National Wonders like the Circus Maximus in your cities. Choose Religious Tenents that focus on Happiness. Never expand when you cannot fully sustain your Desired Happiness Level.

Top Bottom