Fox-05: The RNGod Strikes Back

GreyFox

Make it so ...
Prelude

We are a mindless tribe of minions with absolutely no goal in life ... except to worship the RNG (Random Number Generator) God. RNG, in fact, dictates everything in a Civ4 game, from combat outcome to whether you have resources near your capital. So, this SG is an ultimate tribute to Him. The RNGod manifests Himself as all seven forms of religion.

Acknowledgment

The original game Fox-02: Praying to the RNG God was inspired by Chaos SG by Munterpipe and an earlier Civ3 SG LotR8b. Now it has returned, as a succession game companion to the new Deviant Minds single player Civ 4 event - A New Hope.

Background

After winning in Fox-02: Praying to the RNG God, the RNGod's Minions slowly grew complacent. Being influenced by desires and luxuries, they gradually turned their back to the ways of the Almighty RNGod, and eventually betrayed Him.

Raged with anger, with a stroke of random lightning, the RNGod plunged the world back into a time long forgotten. A time of random chaos, and a time where the mindless minions are ... well, mindless. So here begins the new epic journey of the RNGod's Minions, in their continuing mission to appease His Randomness, to seek out new objectives and new punishments, to boldly go where they had gone before ...

The Game

As the mindless minions, our first objective is to seek out the RNGod. This means acquiring (not necessarily founding) a religion. This first objective has no turn limit and no punishment.

After acquiring a religion, we will start praying to the RNGod on what to do next. RNGod will then tell us, by means of a dice roll, what are our objectives (a tribal objective and a personal objective). We will do our best to fulfill the objectives to appease the RNGod.

A personal objective is a minor objective for each player during one turnset. A tribal objective is a major objective for the players to achieve as a group with a time limit that spans a few turnsets. Failure to achieve any of the objectives and we would be punished.

The Variant

We will, under no circumstances, discuss among ourselves what victory conditions to aim for, and how to achieve victory. We may (and should) discuss how to achieve the current objective as decreed by the RNGod.

We may do other things that may seemingly be unrelated to the objective at hand, but that is actually all part of the grand plan of the RNGod :D.

Tribal (Major) Objectives

As soon as we acquire a religion, the product of (2d6) is used to determine the tribal objective. (Eg. if we rolled a 6 and a 3, the product is 18, and the objective is "Add (1d6)+10 xp to any single unit")

Code:
Prod  Prob   Objective
----  ----   ---------
  1   1/36   Start a Golden Age
  2   2/36   Build a Wonder or Project
  3   2/36   Learn 2 techs that enable a wonder or religion
  4   3/36   Kill (1d6)x5 enemies [1]
  5   2/36   Promote a single unit (1d6) times [2]
  6   4/36   Capture or found (1d6) more cities
  8   2/36   Learn 2 techs in the next age or future tech
  9   1/36   Capture a capitol or size (1d6)+5 city
 10   2/36   Ensure at least 3 Civs are at war (need not be us)
          OR Spread the same religion to 3 other Civs
 12   4/36   Spread any religion to (1d6)+3 cities
 15   2/36   Pillage (1d6)x3 cottages (no matter whose)
 16   1/36   Capture cities from 3 different Civs [1]
 18   2/36   Add (1d6)+10 xp to a single unit [2]
 20   2/36   Get something for free from other Civ [3]
 24   2/36   Learn 2 techs that allows new unit
 25   1/36   Capture a city with world wonder or shrine
 30   2/36   Learn 2 tech no one knows
 36   1/36   Culturally flip a city
          OR Obtain (1d6)+2 more new resources

Footnote:
---------
[1]  Barbarians are counted as enemies
[2]  The unit must be identified at the begining
[3]  Must be via diplo screen. Peace treaty is okay.

Time to complete a tribal objective is given by (1d6)x5 + 2015. (EDIT: This is increased to 20 around 1000BC)

Once a tribal objective is achieved, a new tribal objective should be determined on the same turn.

If we fail to accomplish a tribal objective within the time limit, we are punished. The punishment is determined by a dice roll. Note that the next tribal objective should be rolled on the next turn regardless of punishment.

Code:
Roll  Punishment
----  ----------
 1    Destroy (2d6) own improvements
 2    Whip all cities [1]
 3    Move (1d6) units to the northmost reachable point, another (1d6) to the southmost reachable point.
      OR  Get (1d6) units to circumnavigate the globe
 4    Change all civics to most basic form [2]
 5    Empty all cities for (1d6) turns
 6    Gift away a (1d6: 1,2=city, 3,4=tech, 5,6=great persons) [3]

Footnote:
---------
[1]  Must revolt to slavery if possible.  Escape punishment if it is not.
      If city is not whippable, it must be whipped as it becomes whippable.
[2]  Eg: Free Market -> Decentralization.  
[3]  Escape punishment if no AI is willing to accept any city/tech/GP, 
      or if we do not have anything to gift away in 10 turns.

Personal (Minor) Objectives

As soon as we acquire a religion, starting from the next player, one dice is rolled to determine a personal objective at the inherited turn of each player.

Code:
Roll  Objective
----  ---------
 1    Kill (1d6) enemies [1]
 2    Capture or found a city
 3    Learn a tech 
 4    Spread a religion
 5    Get an AI Civ to improve attitude towards us [2]
   OR Get a cultural pop
 6    Increase (1d6)x100 gold
   OR Increase (1d6)x3 exp points (per military screen)

Footnote:
---------
[1]  Barbarians are counted as enemies
[2]  Eg. Annoyed -> Cautious, Pleased -> Friendly

The personal objective must be completed within the turnset of the player. Failure to achieve it will result in a punishment in the first turn of the player's next turnset. The punishment is determined by a dice roll.

Code:
Roll  Punishment
----  ----------
 1    All workers to stay inside cities simultaneously for 1 turn
 2    Empty (1d6) cities of units for 1 turn
 3    Change civis or state religion
 4    whip away (1d6) pop
 5    Play (1d6) turns less
 6    Jump up and down 10 times, really! :)

The Dice

These are standard 6-sided dice. If you don't have friend-of-wife like Rex Tyranus does, you may consider using the virtual dice roller here, courtesy of rex.

Game Settings

Version: Warlords 2.08
Difficulty: Prince
Map Size: Standard
Map Type: Random
Number of AIs: Standard
Options: Random Personalities, Raging Barb (maybe, will flip a coin)

Roster

I have reserved some spots for previous Fox-02 players and some Deviant Minds players. I will give them 24hrs to confirm their minions status. EDIT: Sorry, no more open spot left for grab.

-- GreyFox
-- Ozbenno
-- vra379971
-- Omni Paul
-- Ruff Hi
-- berserks01
-- Rex Tyrannus

Reporting Ground Rules

The most important rule is reports should be funny.

Also, you should provide adequate details (preferably screenshots) on how objective is achieved.

Normal SG etiquette applies. Standard 24hrs to post a got it, 48hrs to play and report.

--

Eh...*titters nerviously*

Would me saying I didn't because erm...you would have soo much more fun playing it yeself and enjoy the final turn mayhem? Yeah, that's it...

Sure, I can get around to that sometime tomorrow I 'spose, it's only three battles :p

hand shoots up double quick time - still a spot open for this?

Hrmmm...I post in the VQ thread 'what happened to all the games?' ... GreyFox mentions he's down to only 2 ... and then 2 days later I get an email mentioning the start of this.

Coincidence, eh? :gripe: <-- sorry, it's been so long since I've used it

Subscribed and lurking!

no, I will indeed bow out for new blood ~ consider a spot OPEN!

Interesting .... very interesting indeed. I would play if you have a spot, but it seems that you don't so I'll lurk this one definitely.

@ChrTh: I knew my posting on Fox-02 thread will stir up some ghosts :lol: Actually, to tell the truth, I'd been setting up the event in Deviant Minds when I mentioned I am down to 2, and has always been wanting to re-run this for Warlords together with the event.

Speaking of the event (warning: shameless commercial), it is quite a whacky set-up, I'll encourage everybody to try it.

@Pholky: okay .... but do lurk in this one and give us your advise so that we can blatantly ignore it (after laughing at it, ofcourse ;))

@Ruff: you are in!

@berserker: depends on rex ... hadn't heard from him for 3 days now. I'll give him another 12 hrs, then you are in if he remains silent. Hate to miss him though. He brought a fair amount of fun to Fox02.

@all: we are still waiting for Rex to sign in ... meanwhile, any request to tweak the lists?

-

lurker's comment:
First a question: are the personal objectives in addition to the tribal objectives, or does killing units (for example) apply to both?

Additional player or tribal punishments:
A) You can not start a Golden Age; this punishment stays active until you actually have an opportunity to do so (so it might be four or five rotations before you have to stop building a wonder until after your turn ends) -- in the case of tribal, you're not allowed to start a golden age for (2d6-1)*10 turns.
B) Gift a military tech (military meaning it allows the use of a unit)
C) Use the next Great Person in another Civ's city (tribal punishment) -- not sure if this works for all Great People -- can a Great Scientist build an Academy in a foreign city?

@ ChrTh ~ why don't you take my place?

@ Fox, if ChrTh doesn't want in, and no one else responds to taking my spot in 12 hours when you start, I'll play. (if i don't, though, i WILL still lurk and spam the thread w/inanities)

also re: Great People Punishment ~ i think that is great ~ couldn't we just gift them to the AI ~

Pholky, your place is already given to Ruff. Plus ChrTh can't play until christmas 2008. ;)

ChrTh: Personal and Tribal goes simultaneously, independently (ideally) od each other. However, if the tribal objective is to kill say 10 enemies, and a player got his personal objective to kill 3 enemies, then he is lucky, his 3 enemy kills for personal objective would count towards the tribal's 10 as well.

I have hesitation on A, it would be too long to track. I don't think C will work, you can't use great person on other Civ's city (except Trade Mission, of-course).

--

I don't think C will work, you can't use great person on other Civ's city (except Trade Mission, of-course).

--

Maybe what I'm thinking about is when you have a Permanent Alliance? I know I've sent Great Artists to other cities to build Great Works.

Oh, and I believe Complete will be available this year :p

Oh, and I believe Complete will be available this year :p
pardon the intrustion, but which version are you waiting for? the new XP, or more likely, a mod??

pardon the intrustion, but which version are you waiting for? the new XP, or more likely, a mod??

I'm waiting for Civ IV Complete, with Civ IV and all the expansions. Now that BtS has been announced, we're getting closer!

Although I did check, and there was a 10-11 month diff between Conquests and Civ III Complete, so it might be 2008 after all :cry:

Top Bottom